The London Underground

Permabanned
Is amazing!

Having had a day in London this week doing sightseeing things it never ceases to amaze me what a fantastic piece of engineering this really is. Not only from the actual tubes themselves but also the networks of tunnels linking different platforms at the same stations.

And how sad is it that something that seemed to be built with ease in the mid 1800's takes years and years from conception to completion these days (Crossrail)

Capodecina
Soldato
Is amazing!

Having had a day in London this week doing sightseeing things it never ceases to amaze me what a fantastic piece of engineering this really is. Not only from the actual tubes themselves but also the networks of tunnels linking different platforms at the same stations.

And how sad is it that something that seemed to be built with ease in the mid 1800's takes years and years from conception to completion these days (Crossrail)

It's great to see someone say something positive about the Underground. People always moan about it here but I think it's an incredible feat of engineering and I always enjoy travelling on it.

metro in paris is the same :)

Not quite as extensive, though. The LU is the largest underground rail system in the world.

Soldato
It works very well, but I hate when theres a bomb scare on the thing! Mainly as I was in london last saturday for Field Day and getting into kings cross at about 11am to find its massive tube station shut for a bag with shoes in it :( (saw the police officer carrying it past us with grubby shoes in it, clearly not a bomb)

One day this any terror stuff is going to drive us all mad, just for that 20 min walk round to the next station on the line we we're looking for...

Permabanned
OP
The LU is the largest underground rail system in the world.
I like how, anywhere in the West End and the City seems to be criss-crossed north to south and east to west so you can get anywhere with one change of train and you're never far from a station.

In contrast, the Toronto subway is one long line from east to west and another in a long U shape that goes downtown.

It's a real shame that we don't seem able to afford to build any more. Major cities like Manchester and Birmingham would benefit from sub-surface lines at the very least.

Caporegime
The underground is great other than the stupid delays and line closures...for instance the jubilee line is always closed on weekends or parts of it...this weekend on Sat its fully shut and sunday it closed from stratford to green park. Not a big deal but annoying as sometimes i need to take it to get to work but at least the DLR is working.

I dont understand why every ****ing weekend that damn line is always closed...it hasnt been open for that long if i recall correctly but yet they seem to think its cool to close it down on the weekends.

Otherwise i dont mind the tube..summer time is a pain as it gets pretty hot in the carriages...thankfully i dont have to deal with the rush hour anymore:p.

Hxc

Hxc

Soldato
I'd love to visit the Moscow underground service.... the stations look awesome, so ornately designed... more like museaums than public stations!

Associate
Northern line at 8:00 in the morning from Euston. *cries* :(

Are you going Angel direction? There's lots of busses that follow that route for some way.

I come in at Euston from mainline and have to get to the Angel area and I find its much easier by bus. You've got the 30, 73, 205 and the 476 that all go that way. The 205 goes right into the central area if thats what you're after?

Back
Top Bottom