• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD replies to nVidia

Soldato
Why is AMD focusing so much on DX11 when most games are on DX9 console ports?
Today and over the life of the Radeon HD 5000 series, dozens of triple A titles will leverage DirectX11 features. If NV was able to produce a DirectX11 card today, they'd be delivering a much different narrative on DirectX 11 to the press. If NV really believes that DirectX11 doesn't matter, then we challenge them to say that publically, on the record.

Aren't they punishing PC gamers by pushing out the schedule of PC titles such as Dirt 2 in order to support DX11?
Proprietary standards punish gamers, not industry standards like DirectX11. Why is NVIDIA punishing gamers by putting in proprietary and closed standards like PhysX in games?

When are GPU-accelerated Havoc titles going to be shipped? Do they have a list of games that will support Havoc?
PhysX has been around for years and years, but today, GPU-accelerated PhysX titles are still in the single digits. The physics experiences that many of those titles delivered have disappointed gamers and were widely panned by the press worldwide. GPU accelerated game physics will only be accepted in the marketplace when industry standards are embraced.

At first glance, these look to be fair answers. It is true DirectX 11 is being accepted by developers much faster than DirectX 10, with already a dozen games announced, and more to come, for sure. It reminds me very much of the G80 launch back in 2006, when Nvidia had Geforce 8800 DX10 cards out before Windows Vista/DX10 - and, yes, they did have a much different narrative on DirectX 10 back then. Even today, Geforce 8800 GTX users can run most games at reasonably graphical settings - that is return on investment with the latest tech. In many ways - the HD 5870 offers the same - it's a product built for the long term. Having said that, yes, it is true - most games even today are indeed DX9 console ports - but surely, DX11 will see more benefits as we go along. It is fair to say that Nvidia will have a potentially better product on market by the time DX11 is widely adopted, at the same time. Should you wait? If you are looking for a graphics card today, there's no reason to wait for an unannounced product.

Coming to the second question - there's no arguing with AMD here. DirectX 11 is an industry standard, and really, far from punishing gamers, AMD is offering them something extra over the competition. It is really Nvidia's fault they couldn't get a product out on time. Or, AMD got theirs early.

Regarding Havok, it seems as though AMD have dodged the question. Yes, PhysX support has been relatively meaningless thus far, compared to the hype generated by Nvidia - with few notable titles using it, and even then with bugs and notable performance hits. The best usage of PhysX is probably 3DMark Vantage, a game no one really likes to play. At the same time, there are virtually no Havok games out there. But AMD is right - if there was an industry standard physics API - there's no doubt a lot more games would feature physics support today.

Reference: Tweaktown

Permabanned
both nvidia and ati need to stop bitching about each other and secure some high quality pc exclusive games instead. why would people buy new hardware when there are no games that take advantage of it? console gaming is taking over day by day

Soldato
both nvidia and ati need to stop bitching about each other and secure some high quality pc exclusive games instead. why would people buy new hardware when there are no games that take advantage of it? console gaming is taking over day by day

I see NV doing the most bitching to be honest.
Unless you have some recent quotes from ATI that we are not aware of.

Last edited:
Associate
haha. well im happy to hear tht xD and yeah, they are doing all ther bitching, to put it short and sweet, nvidea are trying to hold pc gameing back!! i mean, how could they even think of saying DX11 doesnt matter? stupid...

Soldato
I think with regards to Physx, I think the game developers are as much to blame as anyone else. I very much doubt they are being forced to incorporate it into their games, they're just in it for the extra funding.

Soldato
But hang on Windows 7 isn't even out yet so ATi's latest offering is effectively toothless until it is, even then you need games to support it.

If Nvidia get a DX11 card out for Win 7 launch what's the problem?

Soldato
The problem is they are not going to have a card out for the windows 7 release and by looking at all the news around about there 40mn problems they probably won't have one out until next year. This is why they are down playing dx11.

The fact is if they were in ati's shoes being the first to get a dx11 card on the market they would be shouting about dx11 from the hill tops.

Associate
But hang on Windows 7 isn't even out yet so ATi's latest offering is effectively toothless until it is, even then you need games to support it.

Apart from the fact that a single 5870 stomps on the 285 for DX9 and 10 games as it is, while chewing through less power too?

Havne't heard much about nVidias DX11 line up - anyone got any info on it at all?

Associate
NV are shaking in their boots.

Its simple but effective mud slinging, they scared of ATIs new card and what its going to do for ATI and what its going to do NV.

Soldato
i'm Nvidia fanboy.....sod all that 5800 rubbish, it's all hype

lets wait and see... have faith, the GTX 300 will stomp all over that other card. ;);) be it soon or in january time........ there is no mad rush to buy a card right now

Associate
the problem is though by the time NV get their card out it will be too late.

Taking enthuists out of the question ( myself included as i will always go with the most powerful hardware regardless of what camp its from ) now is a time when a lot people are thinking " hmm mayby its time for me to upgrade my dusty old 8800" this puts ati in a fantastic postion as they are the ones with the new GEN card out not nvidia. Even if there is not a lot of early adopters to the card ( i am bought them already ) this time next month there will be a flood of people buying these cards especialy the 5850 considering its price point and the performance that it kicks out. Over 90% of people who buy pc parts will not fork out another lump sum come January ( or if NV is anything like their previous launches more like March ) just to buy the latest just to switch ship because OMG its more powerful. NV will release a card ati will slash the price making even more people buy their cards.

Associate
2 reasosn why nVidia will hurt now by being late for DX11.

OEM's buying for Christmas - ATI have monopoly on DX11 orders. I think I have already seen ATI secure a huge order with Dell.
WIn 7 launch - ATI have monopoly on that,

Soldato
UPDATE - NVIDIA's PR company for Asia Pacific in Singapore, CIZA Concept, has contacted us and claimed that the source of the questions was from them as "our observations, as industry watchers" and not NVIDIA. We always get these types of questions and they seem to read like they are from NVIDIA, so we are unsure. We were asked to state this in this news post, which has been done here.

We were also contacted by phone about this by NVIDIA and we have offered them the chance to do a follow-up. We are in the process of preparing questions and will have them answered early next week in a new news post.

HAHAHAHA Egg on face.

Soldato
http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10361016-1.html

CNET's take on the "Email"

:D

What you might not know (or conceivably care about), is that ahead of almost every single product launch by AMD, Nvidia's notoriously aggressive PR department sends around an e-mail to reviewers challenging the presumed benefits of its competitor's products. We usually ignore these e-mails, not least because they tend to arrive during the flurry of testing and the forming of our own opinions for the review of the product in question.

(Credit: Nvidia)

We've often thought it might be mildly interesting to publish one of Nvidia's e-mails as an example of aggressive tech marketing (or something), but we always felt it would be of limited reader interest. The reviewers at enthusiast site TweakTown found a better approach to Nvidia's take on the announcement two days ago of AMD's Radeon HD 5800-series graphics cards. Rather than simply post Nvidia's e-mail, why not send it off to AMD's PR department for a rebuttal?

Visit TweakTown to find the interview and its own analysis. We'll concede that even TweakTown's approach might not make this behind-the-scenes view the most insightful tech news of the day. Hopefully, you'll at least find that it provides an interesting back-and-forth between the two major players in the 3D graphics card market on a few of the issues at hand in their category.

Now we just need to figure out what to do with Nvidia's weekly "nTeresting" propaganda/news round-up e-mail, other than autoforwarding it to the junk folder.

Permabanned

If Nvidia get a DX11 card out for Win 7 launch what's the problem?

Technically speaking, there are a lot of people still using the Win7 RC and leaked RTM.

Arguably those people using them would be more likely to be the ones who buy 5870s first.

Couple that with the Battleforge DX11 patch, and you've already got people playing games in DX11.

From what I've read too, Battleforge sees a 40% increase in performance.

I'm expecting some more games that have DX10.1 paths to receive updates bringing in DX11 features to be honest due to the similarities between 11 and 10.1.

Back
Top Bottom