Just fixed my PS3 Yellow light of death/PICS included

Associate
Google "Toothpaste thermal paste" It's all over the place. I dont agree with it personally, but its easy to see how someone else may

average of a 10C° cooler according to other folks who have tried and one guy on another forum even recommends colgate aquafresh.

Anyone tried cleaning their teeth with arctic silver yet?

Associate
its all bullplop, you'll get nothing like that if you have the faintest idea how to apply paste, and it'll only go up as the toothpaste dries out.

Wondered a bit when i read it i think it can work as a temporary solution but only if you use the whole tube lol like was previously said its worth googling

Associate
OP
what made you think of toothpaste?

Conviently it was sitting right next to me and i thought about how toothpaste should still be more efficent at heat transfer asapose to no form of paste at all. Also because i wanted to see if the PS3 would even work since it's been broken for about a year i decided to use the toothpaste obviously i didn't play on it for days just a couple of hours.

Soldato
Some details surrounding what you did with the heat gun exactly would have been interesting ..

And vaseline is probably a better substitute for thermal compound than toothpaste.

Associate
OP
Some details surrounding what you did with the heat gun exactly would have been interesting ..

And vaseline is probably a better substitute for thermal compound than toothpaste.

All i did was set the heatgun to 400 degree's C, then used the heatgun on the CPU/GPU and BGA's and hovered the gun about an 1inch from the motherboard in a circular rotation had to wait 20 minutes then added toothpaste onto the CPU and GPU put it together again and bingo ^

Better late than never lol

So is the Ps3 still working then?

Yup :) still haven't applied actual artic silver yet doing it on monday.

Here's a video of a guide i followed: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U70SgRDVcBo

Back
Top Bottom