Just fixed my PS3 Yellow light of death/PICS included

Associate
Hii, i've had my PS3 since launch and about 6 months ago I got the nasty YLOD i didn't know how to repair it, then yesterday i decided to look into some of the solutions of the Yellow light of death. I came across a process called reflowing the CPU/GPU using a heat gun, i was slightly skeptical but decided to do it since my warranty had expired. To my suprise it worked! :D, the first thing i did was play cod 4 :)

Here's my ps3 completley taken apart to the me're basics of the PCB motherboard.
73211438811460515676510.jpg

I didn't have any thermal compound, so i thought toothpaste would work as a temporary solution ;) and it did
73211438816760515676510.jpg

And this is the finish product, doing system update :]]
73211438819660515676510.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
OP
TP works as as thermal compound as it does the same job, albeit not quite as well.
OP if i was you i would do a back-up, quite a few have been fixed this way only to die a while down the road. You could trade it in to some and get a 160/250gb slim for a bit more cash and 1 year warranty. If you trade it in to a place that give warranty on all pre owned consoles then the buyer of your old PS3 is covered, for your piece of mind.

Do they buy consoles that have the warranty voided? thanks for the advice

Toothpaste goes hard when heated and allowed to cool.......
it can be used to stick things to a wall (photo's etc)

i have a feeling you'll be having some overheating problems soon!

toothpaste will last all of 5 seconds. i reall uhope you didnt reassemble that ps3 without proper paste lol

Lol i played the ps3 for 4 hours last night I think i better get buy some before playing it today.

Associate
OP
what made you think of toothpaste?

Conviently it was sitting right next to me and i thought about how toothpaste should still be more efficent at heat transfer asapose to no form of paste at all. Also because i wanted to see if the PS3 would even work since it's been broken for about a year i decided to use the toothpaste obviously i didn't play on it for days just a couple of hours.

Associate
OP
Some details surrounding what you did with the heat gun exactly would have been interesting ..

And vaseline is probably a better substitute for thermal compound than toothpaste.

All i did was set the heatgun to 400 degree's C, then used the heatgun on the CPU/GPU and BGA's and hovered the gun about an 1inch from the motherboard in a circular rotation had to wait 20 minutes then added toothpaste onto the CPU and GPU put it together again and bingo ^

Better late than never lol

So is the Ps3 still working then?

Yup :) still haven't applied actual artic silver yet doing it on monday.

Here's a video of a guide i followed: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U70SgRDVcBo

Back
Top Bottom