Does RAID make drives MORE likely to fail?

Associate
I'm interested in setting up 2x 500GB HDD's in RAID-0, and I was just wondering if creating a RAID-0 makes drives any more likely to fail? That would be disastrous with a RAID-0 setup...

Associate
OP
Bottom line - unless you really need a 1Tb Raid-0 array, then get 2 smaller drives for the array, and slap in a big storage drive separately.

So I'd just install the OS and games and applications on the smaller RAID-0, and use the other HDD for music and video etc?

Hmm, could be better actually.

Edit: works out more expensive though. £93 for 160GB RAID-0 (2 drives) and a 500GB Storage drive. £76 for 1TB RAID-0. Tbh, I think I'll just go for the 1TB option.

Last edited:
Soldato
one of the hard drive in my old RAID 0 failed few years back, lost everything :(

you want speedy C drive? get SDD which i did

Soldato
You will only really see a real worthwhile performance increase in using RAID0 over a single HDD when you are working with large files (ie., copying/moving DVD Video files etc), or when you unzip large files on a regular basis; so if you do neither of those just stick with a single HDD (or SSD) for OS...

Associate
This is the compromise I use

C: OS
D: Apps/Games
E: CD/DVD Images / data

All on physically separate disks.

As others have said RAIDing a drive doesn't increase the chance of a single drive failure, however a drive failure will lead to loss of what is on the RAID.

Man of Honour
RAID 0 is realy AID0 as it doesn't have the most important part of RAID (R stands for Redundant) and as its just a stripe it doesn't have any redundancy, so you lose one disk you lose all the data. Use it for data that isn't important to you, or that you back up on a regular basis.

Back
Top Bottom