• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Good CPU upgrade for Q6600 system

Permabanned
I currently have a computer with an Asus Forumla Maximum motherboard and an Intel Q6600 CPU.

I would like to upgrade the system to the best I can without replacing the motherboard. I don't mind too much whether it's a dual core or quad core as I don't do a huge amount of video editing.

What would you recommend?

Soldato
Stick with what you have got the Q6600s should clock to about 3.6 (I think). Should last you a while yet.

But if you have cash burning a hole in your pocket. A Q9550 clocked to about 4Ghz.

Or just upgrade your Graphics (depending what you have now).

Permabanned
OP
Stick with what you have got the Q6600s should clock to about 3.6 (I think). Should last you a while yet.

But if you have cash burning a hole in your pocket. A Q9550 clocked to about 4Ghz.

Or just upgrade your Graphics (depending what you have now).

For some reason I can't get it to overclock on my board. I did originally get it clocked to 3.2GHz but for some reason it won't clock at all now.

Associate
For some reason I can't get it to overclock on my board. I did originally get it clocked to 3.2GHz but for some reason it won't clock at all now.

Try updating your bios and making sure the settings in bios for the OC are correct. Sometimes mobo's have a bad habit for reverting to factory settings for that type of thing. Disable speedstep ect...

Permabanned
OP
Try updating your bios and making sure the settings in bios for the OC are correct. Sometimes mobo's have a bad habit for reverting to factory settings for that type of thing. Disable speedstep ect...

Thanks, I'll give it a go when I get home. It just seems odd that I used to be able to overclock and now I can't...ah well, that's computers I guess :)

Soldato
Learn why it's not overclocking and then overclock it. The issue will lie with bios settings, and probably previously running an unstable clock which reset to defaults after a crash.

There isn't a good cpu upgrade for a q6600. The q9*50 series are a little bit better, and the e8*00 ones might be if you never do anything multithreaded (in which case, why do you have a q6600?).

However to make a significant improvement you need to move to P55/X58, which means new board and ram too. And even then, argument can be made that it wont be much quicker. You have a very good processor already.

Permabanned
OP
Learn why it's not overclocking and then overclock it. The issue will lie with bios settings, and probably previously running an unstable clock which reset to defaults after a crash.

Yeah that'd make sense, however, the clock was stable but it did reset itself after about a month or two.

Back
Top Bottom