Corsair 800D Build

Associate
Right made up my mind and decided to go for the Corsair 800D a new I7 build everything has arrived apart from this beast of a case (can't see postman being happy :eek:). Should arrive early next week I will put up some images of the finished build when all finished.

Specs:

Intel Core i7 920 D0 Stepping - Processor

Corsair H50 - Cooling

Asus P6T Deluxe/OC Palm Edition - Motherboard

Nvidia 280GTX - GFX

2x1TB Hitachi HDD Raid 1 - OS Drive

Corsair XMS3 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 x2 - Memory

Corsair HX 750W - PSU

Associate
OP
800D arrived yesterday :D system is all up and running, so nice and easy to setup and install. Very nice build quality and so much room to work with, I will take some pics and post them after recovering all my data. The Asus P6T Deluxe weally has some serious issues with the stupid sas controller I wasn't being silly at all and it removed the partition of my raid1 1.5TB storage drives :eek: :mad: :confused: :(

Associate
OP
Haven't quite finished yet but all that I am going to do is tidy up the cables a bit more (braiding & heat shrink) & swap those red sata cables over for black ones. Will also be using a SSD when ever the crucial ones eventually turn up.

DSC00756.jpg

DSC00758.jpg

DSC00759.jpg

DSC00755.jpg

DSC00761.jpg

DSC00762.jpg

DSC00763.jpg

DSC00764.jpg

DSC00766.jpg

DSC00765.jpg

Need to sort out the cables out a bit as they can tend to make the side of the case buldge out a bit.

I like the simplicity of this case the only things that I can say it lacks is incoming airflow and no front panel eSata. These won't be huge issues for me though as I rarely use my Esata hard drive and I won't be heavily overclocking my system as I want it to stay fairly quiet.

Lots of room too, if I decide to overclock further I can always invest in a custom watercooling loop in the future.

Associate
A couple of questions for you as I am planning a build using this case.

1. Could you post the temps that you are getting at idle and under load? (CPU & GPU)
2. Do you have the H50 intaking air into the case or exhausting it out?
3. Does the case come with black SATA cables & 4/8 pin CPU cable extension?
4. Have you considered one of these to help cool the GPU, do you think it would be necessary considering the airflow?
5. Are the 3 x 120mm fans at the top exhausts or intakes?
6. Did you replace the stock 140mm fans? If so, what brand?
7. Finally, would you recommend me getting one?

Sorry for all the questions but I really want to make sure with everything.

Thanks

Last edited:
Associate
OP
looking good, that case is actually massive:D
any plans in the future for a WC setup?

Rizzee - It's bloody huge :eek:, bigger than the Coolermaser Cosmos & the Coolermaster Stacker cases.

A couple of questions for you as I am planning a build using this case.

1. Could you post the temps that you are getting at idle and under load? (CPU & GPU)
2. Do you have the H50 intaking air into the case or exhausting it out?
3. Does the case come with black SATA cables & 4/8 pin CPU cable extension?
4. Have you considered one of these to help cool the GPU, do you think it would be necessary considering the airflow?
5. Are the 3 x 120mm fans at the top exhausts or intakes?
6. Did you replace the stock 140mm fans? If so, what brand?
7. Finally, would you recommend me getting one?

Sorry for all the questions but I really want to make sure with everything.

Thanks

ejr22 - Haven't done any heavy testing on GPU yet as I am still sorting out my OS and hard drives will let you know on this though.

1 - CPU idles at on all four cores from 47 - 53, Mobo idles at - 45 - 46

2 - Intake as advised by Corsair :)

3 - The case comes with 4 black sata cables for the hard drive hot plug bays and comes with the 4/8 pin cpu cable extension in black braiding :D.

4 - I was looking at that but I think the GPU should be ok haven't tested it yet but I can always just turn up all the fans to max when gaming :D. What I have done though is used the 140mm rear fan which I removed for the H50 120mm fan and used some eletrical tape and one of the PCI bracket plates and taped the 140mm fan to the plate and attached it above the graphics card. This should hopefully push the hot air away from the gpu and away from the northbridge and memory.

5 - They are exhausts as hot air rises, infact they are the only exhasts :eek: better not put anything ontop of the case.

6 - I didn't replace the 140mm fans but have used one of these http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=BB-001-ZA&groupid=701&catid=57&subcat=189 which I can use to turn everything up when I want to do some heavy gaming or turn down the fans when idle so not so noisy. Noisy PC's are one of my pet hates :mad:.

7 - Depends if you have the room for it and can afford it. It was exactly what I was looking for, but looking at the reviews I don't think it has the greatest airflow with the stock configuration of the fans, so thats something you have to think about. Also if you want to go Crossfire or SLI then you would probably have to go on the custom watercooling route with this case as I can see things getting pretty hot with the fact there is only one intake fan.

But all in all I think it's an awesome case and would definately recommend it! :D

Last edited:
Associate
Is delivery still on for Tuesday 6th October? I hope so! I have been looking at all the deliverd parts for nearly a week and itching to put it all together.

Associate
If the case does not arrive soon I am going to go for the "COOLERMASTER ATCS 840".
Very good reviews and may be better for cooling (using the Corsair H50) than the Obsidian.
Any thoughts?

Soldato
If the case does not arrive soon I am going to go for the "COOLERMASTER ATCS 840".
Very good reviews and may be better for cooling (using the Corsair H50) than the Obsidian.
Any thoughts?

I was also looking at getting the COOLERMASTER ATCS 840 but it didn't have a black interior which I was looking for, but looks like a good case though I have to say I was tempted :D. It's out of stock at OCUK though :p

The Coolermaster ATCS 840 case is lovely. I got myself one last week. Lots of space, and seems to have some good airflow in it so far. Only running the stock fans currently. The big 200mm fans are beastly =D

Going to add 3 more 120mm fans when I have a bit more money, to improve airflow some more.

The Corsair 800D does however look like an excellent case. Good cable management from the looks of it. The ATCS 840 however, also has nice cable management. I just need to tidy mine up more. Just a shame it's not all black. Not a problem however, as I don't like cases with windows really.

Last edited:
Associate
I just worked out on mine the motherboard tray is removable a lot i thaught i read it wasnt in some reviews lol. So i guess when i get my MB i will have to disconnect a few things ive started testing.

Associate
I just worked out on mine the motherboard tray is removable a lot i thaught i read it wasnt in some reviews lol. So i guess when i get my MB i will have to disconnect a few things ive started testing.

Removeable on the Obsidian???? If so please post some pics

Associate
no i agree you cant remove it easy,the only way to do its to remove the 3 screws at the back then you would have to drill out the 6 rivets as well then you could i think.

Back
Top Bottom