2010 F1 regs - quick question

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
I had a quick hunt around this morning regarding the proposed 2010 regs. Some interesting reading including:
- No refueling
- KERS not, though most manufacturers are trying to boycott it on cost grounds
- weight limit changes of 15kg to encourage KERS (surprised me)
- Qualifying back to how it used to be, i.e. no requirement to run with race level fuel

What I couldn't spot was any comments about aerodynamic changes. Has anything been done to reduce the level of turbulance that cars are allowed to generate to prevent chasing cars aero working fully?

Man of Honour
rummored and dear god I hope it's false

- Homologation of front and rear wings.
- A limit on the number of aerodynamic upgrades permitted over the course of a season.
- A continuation of the ban on in-season testing introduced for 2009.
- Restrictions on the number of team personnel who can attend a Grand Prix weekend.

Qualifying is still a shoot out but with low fuel.

Weight limit increase means heavier drivers can actually use kers without going over the weight limit.

You also forgot no tyre warmers and wheel covers are banned.

Man of Honour
No tyre warmers and no refuelling is good, it means drivers will have to deal with the changes in handling as the race progresses and a heavy car on cold tyres at the start of a race will add some additional spice to the event.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
OP
Frankly most of the changes are just superficial. I've thought for years that the real solution to bring back close racing was limiting the damage that cars to do to airflow out of the back of their own car.

Associate
No tyre warmers and no refuelling is good, it means drivers will have to deal with the changes in handling as the race progresses and a heavy car on cold tyres at the start of a race will add some additional spice to the event.

They decided against banning tyre warmers, which is definitely a good idea. Not only are they (relatively) cheap, it would be incredibly dangerous to send a driver out after a mandatory tyre change on cold tyres during a race.

The minimum weight of each car is now 620kg, this being incorporated to take account of the weight of the KERS system despite FOTA agreeing not to use the systems from 2010, and in a surprise change the regulations continue to allow tyre warmers to be used.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Steel brakes

:rolleyes: This is f1 fore running of technology and pushing the boundaries. Not some 70's rubbish. Where even road cars can brake in shorter distances. All the other Formula series would be braking harder and faster. It's one of the most stupid ideas which people keep saying.

Caporegime
:rolleyes: This is f1 fore running of technology and pushing the boundaries. Not some 70's rubbish. Where even road cars can brake in shorter distances. All the other Formula series would be braking harder and faster. It's one of the most stupid ideas which people keep saying.
lets just replace the drivers altogether with AI chips then :rolleyes:
its not stupid if it gives bigger over taking areas

Man of Honour
lets just replace the drivers altogether with AI chips then :rolleyes:

HAs anyone said that

its not stupid if it gives bigger over taking areas

Yes it is, you will have Formula ones little brothers with cars that our outperforming F1. That is totally ridiculous and stupid. F1 is not just about 2 million overtakes per race. If you want pure over taking like that. There's already many series that caters for that.

Soldato
Front tyres will also be slightly narrower, too, if I'm recalling a ten-minute practice session interview with the guy from Bridgestone correctly.

I think they'd misjudged this year's regs a little, so the cars received more mechanical grip than intended.

Man of Honour
They decided against banning tyre warmers, which is definitely a good idea. Not only are they (relatively) cheap, it would be incredibly dangerous to send a driver out after a mandatory tyre change on cold tyres during a race.

I assume you think that:

1: In the olden days before tyre warmers there was no motor racing

or

2: Those olden day cars had nowhere near the power of modern cars.

Really, people need to understand the history of a sport before they make such ridiculous comments.

It's a show, if people don't watch the show manufacturers will disappear, anyone with an appreciation of the history of the sport will appreciate this. While I concur it's unlikely to see carbon braking removed don't think that motorsport is simply an opportunity for manufacturers to test their new toys, for that is foolish. If they aren't winning they will simply go off an play somewhere else. Motorsport is about winning, it's about being the best. If it's boring and the people disapear so will the teams. BMW, Honda and Toyota will show you this, do you really believe they will now loose out on all the toys because they don't have a test bed. The reason some of us prefer the olden days is because as a spectacle and a race they were MUCH better. I am not surprised a forum full of technical geeks (not a criticism) would not appreciate the purity of the sport over the technology deployed. Each to their own and all that...

Edit: I notice you're 26 so you weren't there in the 70's, how can you proclaim it was rubbish....

Last edited:
Man of Honour
The reason some of us prefer the olden days is because as a spectacle and a race they were MUCH better. I am not surprised a forum full of technical geeks (not a criticism) would not appreciate the purity of the sport over the technology deployed. Each to their own and all that...

Those days will never happen. Manufactures aren't just leaving due to not winning (although that is a big reason) they have always used it for development for real world uses. Mitigating some of the cost. The rules are so tight these days that this does not happen.

Everyone wants proper racing and we do get proper racing. Using steel breaks will not suddenly make rubbish cars into winners. They will still get the same points. Although everyone wants proper racing, this is not a same series sport and you do not need 20 overtakes a lap.

Man of Honour
Those days will never happen. Manufactures aren't just leaving due to not winning (although that is a big reason) they have always used it for development for real world uses. Mitigating some of the cost. The rules are so tight these days that this does not happen.

Everyone wants proper racing and we do get proper racing. Using steel breaks will not suddenly make rubbish cars into winners. They will still get the same points. Although everyone wants proper racing, this is not a same series sport and you do not need 20 overtakes a lap.

As I said, you have only known what we have today, I can't expect you to get it. Steel brakes is one thing I threw out there, we can't uninvent what we have but we can appreciate that pandering to manufacturers who make decisions based on a quarters results is not the basis on which to build a sport. F1 is a marketing machine for manufacturers, is it any wonder that they play up their technical prowess, in reality it has very little impact on the cars you drive on the road, only the marketing messages which suck you into the showroom.

If you go to 1 motor race a year, like the vast majority of F1 'fans' do then it's all they know, it's all they have expeirence of and I can understand why they find it spectacular. When you've lived and breathed a sport for 35 years you perhaps appreciate why some of us are sad when we see lines of cars driving around sanitised tracks with little or no interaction or overtaking. Really, it's NOT motor RACING, its a technical showcase, which is all some of you have ever known....

Man of Honour
As I said, you have only known what we have today, I can't expect you to get it. Steel brakes is one thing I threw out there, we can't uninvent what we have but we can appreciate that pandering to manufacturers who make decisions based on a quarters results is not the basis on which to build a sport. F1 is a marketing machine for manufacturers, is it any wonder that they play up their technical prowess, in reality it has very little impact on the cars you drive on the road, only the marketing messages which suck you into the showroom.

If you go to 1 motor race a year, like the vast majority of F1 'fans' do then it's all they know, it's all they have expeirence of and I can understand why they find it spectacular. When you've lived and breathed a sport for 35 years you perhaps appreciate why some of us are sad when we see lines of cars driving around sanitised tracks with little or no interaction or overtaking. Really, it's NOT motor RACING, its a technical showcase, which is all some of you have ever known....

Your talking like we've been watching for several years. I've been watching it since I was a baby.
It is a motorsport and there is plenty of overtaking. We've even seen plenty of times two cars go nose to nose for several corners.
Those rose tinted glasses need to come of and realise that due to computer aided design and how far technology has come, those days are long gone and it's not helped by the stupidly tight regulations with those rules it ended close racing, rather than increasing it. Back in the mid 90's

Man of Honour
Your talking like we've been watching for several years. I've been watching it since I was a baby.
It is a motorsport and there is plenty of overtaking. We've even seen plenty of times two cars go nose to nose for several corners.
Those rose tinted glasses need to come of and realise that due to computer aided design and how far technology has come, those days are long gone.

Have you been to many non F1 races?

Man of Honour
The wheel cover things are banned too. Although it is a 'step back' from tech from not using them, I think they look awful and as they remove a bit of aero performance from the car, it is all good really.

Back
Top Bottom