Anyone had a puppy ?

Associate
He will eventually settle down, you've got to think that he's still a puppy and really missing his littermates and mother. The best thing to do is to get a dog crate, put in his bedding and things that will make him feel more comfortable like an old jumper, then put it at the end of the bed for a few nights. Whatever you do don't shout if he's whining, just ignore the crying and then make a fuss and praise him when he's quiet for a few minutes. He will soon start to settle, then in a couple of weeks you can start to move him out of the room slowly. Toilet train him outside from the word go if you can, paper training or leaving him to it will cause a long term problem. It won't be long before he's part of the family and starts to live around your routines. A puppy is just like a baby, they need to feel loved, stable and with fair ground rules to feel secure and part of your 'pack'.

Edit: The vet sounds a complete arse, he may know how to treat a dog but hasn't a clue about psychology. His growling etc is just a learned response because that's how he's been treated. That's a load of rot saying he's got doggy ADHD, he's just insecure and needs to learn how to behave. It sounds to me that your family don't know how to bring up a puppy, let alone one that's not been reared properly by the mother. The best thing to do is to find him a secure and loving owner that will spend most of their time with him, otherwise he will just end up a real problem dog through no fault of his own.

I just read back up the thread, that's great advice by TheCrow if you do decide to keep him. Just be patient and understanding, any faults are the owners fault not the dogs. Always reward good behaviour, and ignore the bad, that way they learn properly and don't become disturbed. Maybe read up on dog psychology, you will soon be rewarded.

Last edited:
Associate
Ahhh I see now knip, I never noticed where the OP said he'd been taken back. It's just a damn shame that so many dogs start out in life this way, bought on a whim by people who haven't got the slightest clue what they're letting themselves in for.

Soldato
most dogs are like this at a young age,give it more time as its a bit unfair,our dog was the same at first
4 year old female cocker spaniel

Yup. My cocker cried so load the neighbours complained. I had to sit with him for a week every night til around 1am before he'd sleep. His crying made me feel so bad for taking him away from his mum. My dad was off work for the first 6 weeks of having him after an op and after that someone was always home due to college/uni/work rotas.

Now he's in bed at 10pm, let's you know when he wants to go out and won't stop following you round in the morning until you take him for a walk.

Transmission breaker
Don
Hang on chaps. If the vet advised the to take the poor thing back, then there must be a mental issue with it.

Still, I would have kept it myself.

Perhaps the Vet had the dog's best interests at heart, could see the current owners were unable to cope, and thought the little thing would do better with another family.

Permabanned
OP
Have learnt lesson, we are going to get a female one but are going to wait untill we move house so we are closer to uni/work/supermarkets etc.

I dont know if all the people above who seem to jump on the bandwagon are saying this because its forum talk, because every dog owner, vet, and canine psychology expert we talked to stated that his behaviour that they saw physically is not right for a 10 week old KCS.

Associate
I don't think I could disagree more.

when i was living with my mum, we had an alsatian and a jack russell/staffie cross (ugly as hell, horribly put together, completely crakers and a wonderful dog). we had a cage for the little dog (door left open), and he liked it cos it was his little space where the other dog couldn't bother him.

Associate
Don't worry guys I can save this thread with a small picture of my dog, who is actually the worlds biggest attention seeker!

4115798564_dae1c2eb72.jpg

Soldato
Have learnt lesson, we are going to get a female one but are going to wait untill we move house so we are closer to uni/work/supermarkets etc.

I dont know if all the people above who seem to jump on the bandwagon are saying this because its forum talk, because every dog owner, vet, and canine psychology expert we talked to stated that his behaviour that they saw physically is not right for a 10 week old KCS.

Please get this instead.

petrock1260889534.jpg

Associate

I can't believe you're seriously thinking of getting another one. You guys clearly couldn't cope with any sort of behaviour that you termed "bad", what makes you think an other dog will not have some of the same issues/be worse.

They're not disposable.

Associate
with our without a problem you and your family did not have the time or commitment to deal with a puppy.

Please please dont get another one unless you do some serious research and have a massive change family situation (people at home all the time for a puppy!!!! If not get a dog and even then it should only be on its own for a minimum amount of time)

Soldato
My old dog never had any of this behaviour, she lived untill she was 13 with a lovely, happy lifestyle.

I can't believe that you're comparing the behaviour of a puppy which you had for a few days with your old 13 year old dog.
You clearly didn't do any research before hand.

I've owned Cavalier King Charles' for 10 years now and we even had a litter of them - the behaviour you described sounds completely normal for a CKS puppy and it's to be expected after just a few days. Mine cried for days when we first got her and she used to bite my feet constantly and hated being left alone.
You should never have got the puppy in the first place, now it's had a terrible start in life and must be completely confused.
I don't think you should get another one if you give up that easily without even bothering to train it or fix it's behaviour.

Back
Top Bottom