Why is my insurance so expensive ?

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Car insurance seems to have flatlined for me now. Even if i project years ahead, £500 seems to be pretty much where it sits for most decent stuff. (Read: 6/8cyl normal cars) Add a couple of hundred for anything really sporty (Ferrari/Porsche/Maserati etc).

There are three exceptions to this rule which i am aware of;

1) Honda S2000's
2) Porsche 996 Gen1's, not Gen2's for some reason.
3) M-Power BMW's

Caporegime
OP
I paid around £790 for a group 19 car with the 540i, now I'm paying £670 for a group 16 car with the Jag.

26 yo, 4 ncb, license for 8 years, and no points or bans or anything like that. So I guess it's got to be Wakefield :p ...although I don't live in Birmingham I still live within the Birmingham post code area, however my post code is classed as a B risk it seems.

just as an example i used this car to get a quote

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1912944.htm

Age 27
5 years ncb
license for 9 years

no points , no ban

bell.co.uk quoted me ... £796.

Changed the quote for LE18 group B rated postcode

£851

WTF !!!

I hate car insurance sometimes.

Caporegime
OP
Something's awry there, especially considering this quote was also from Bell:
Audi A4 2.8 quattro (group 17)
Age 26
1 years NCB
No points or bans
B-rated post code
£420

Granted it's not as quick a car as the T5, but it's not exactly half the risk either.

I used this car (similarish)

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1815386.htm

Age 27
5 Years NCB
no points / bans
Group B rated postcode (my old LE18 one)

bell.co.uk quoted me ...

£915

I just cant get the bell site to quote me less than about £800 for anything interesting, no matter what combination of postcode / car / named driver / value etc. i choose.

Its not my age, and this is with clean license and claims and 5 years NCB

I'm stumped. Can anybody else get bell to quote for under £800 for something good at my age ?

Man of Honour
It has though
3176sky.gif

My mothers has dropped this year. We changed from RAC to Direct Line and it went down £50 (to £250 ish).

Associate
If I put the same details in as you stated MrLOL, but my postcode being YO30 which is a band B, bell quote me £800.85 on the Audi A4 you used as an example.

Soldato
I tried the Bell site with my car, basically the same as the Jag you tried, I came out with £783.50 ...which is a good £100 more than I am paying with Chris Knott now.

Soldato
Oohh Chris Knott. They just stopped insuring S2000s despite being part of the S2KUK authorised trader scheme.

Too risky for them to insure now, sweeet!

Lets hope they don't decide to stop insuring other potentially risky clientèle..like banned drivers :p

Caporegime
OP
nope, they were quite happy to give me a very competitive renewal quote this year :D

Part of the reason they are so competitive is they are always shifting the goalposts. Originally they wouldnt insure anybody on a VXR that was under 21. last year they changed that to under 25 and upset a lot on the VXR forums.

Still, if it keeps prices cheaper than everybody else i'm happy (until they decide i'm too risky :( )

Soldato
They would not insure anyone under 25 on an S2000 either, now it's no new S2000 business, renewals only.

Pretty crappy especially considering they seemed to of had a good set up with the owners club members, some of which who ran seriously modified forced induction examples.

Soldato
Postcode.

Mine went up by £250 moving from an on-the-road, scummy part of Southampton to a gated car park in a nice part of Southsea.

A nice lady from Direct Line explained that all post codes have a score from 11-99 and my new address was 10 points higher than the old place. It's calculated by the number of claims and the value of those claims (among other things). She said while the new postcode probably has less claims because it's a nice area, the value of the claims are probably higher because it's a nice area and that pushes up the score.

Its a pretty flawed system though as it generally only uses the outer part of the post code ie WF1 or in my case TQ2.

TQ2 covers a huge area in torquay and the street where I live is literally on the edge of town with several 600k+ houses with quite a few 50-60k+ cars on the street.

But because TQ2 also covers some pretty high crime areas for car theft my insurance was higher than my previous address which was in the middle of no where with just 3 other houses on the street.

Back
Top Bottom