BenQ G2420HDBL (LED Backlit) or BenQ G2420HD

Associate
I've had the BenQ G2420HDBL since Christmas and it is a great screen for the price. It's very bright compared to my old Dell 2407. PS3 looks great on it as well. I've never noticed any ghosting when playing games.

The only downside like others have said is the viewing angles. Head on it's great, turning it to the side is not so bad but watching it from below when lying in bed the colours are very dark and the picture is hard to make out.

The build quality compared to my Dell is pretty poor as well, but that is understandable being as the Dell was about £450 I think and the Benq £160.

Last edited:
Associate
I've had the BenQ G2420HDBL since Christmas and it is a great screen for the price. It's very bright compared to my old Dell 2407. PS3 looks great on it as well. I've never noticed any ghosting when playing games.

The only downside like others have said is the viewing angles. Head on it's great, turning it to the side is not so bad but watching it from below when lying in bed the colours are very dark and the picture is hard to make out.

The build quality compared to my Dell is pretty poor as well, but that is understandable being as the Dell was about £450 I think and the Benq £160.

Im going to mount on a wall bracket so I can adjust screen depending on where im sat in bed room so should be ok!. I know from have the non-led version that the build quality aint great

Associate
Anyone compared this to the Samsung SM2343NW 2048 x 1152 23" monitor.

Have seen both for around the same price and just wondering if people feel its worth going for the Samsung for the res or the BenQ for how good the picture quality seems to be?

Associate
Anyone compared this to the Samsung SM2343NW 2048 x 1152 23" monitor.

Have seen both for around the same price and just wondering if people feel its worth going for the Samsung for the res or the BenQ for how good the picture quality seems to be?

the BenQ hdbl one is cheaper now on ocuk, take a look - http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-033-BQ was surpised to see this, as i was like, is it a deal for only today or something? but no indications of that, maybe permanent price change :) if so woop, i will get one towards crimbo time :)

Associate
Just ordered the LED version a few minutes ago, looking forward to an new monitor as i've been using an old monitor that only does 1024x768 after my main one died on me.

I think a GPU upgrade is next for me to cope with the higher res, should make a nice little Xmas treat for myself :)

Associate
Just got the monitor this morning, very pleased with it. Pc looks great through DVI

However I do have a problem, I cant seem to get my xbox working via VGA. I've made sure everything is connected properly, reset the resolution of the xbox and tried it on my older monitor where it still works.

Any ideas?

Associate
After much research I finally decided to pull the trigger on 2 x Benq G2420HDBL 24" LED backlit monitors. These had great reviews on overclockers UK and on many forums and I also felt after looking at some in person that a 27" would be too big.

I am extremely glad I went this way as theses monitors are brilliant. I calibrated them using various online tools and have to say they are almost perfect (in my opinion). Whites are super bright, blacks are deep, the contrast is noticeably better than my old Samsung and colours are vibrant and not washed out. Have checked for dead/stuck pixels and there were none and on the lightbleed check I struggled to notice it sat in a dark room.

Price wise they are a bargain too. I got both delivered for a grand total of £300 and the dual screen set up works well as the bezel is very thin. Will probably upgrade my card and get a 3rd for eyefinity.

I can't recommend this highly enough!

Associate
After much research I finally decided to pull the trigger on 2 x Benq G2420HDBL 24" LED backlit monitors. These had great reviews on overclockers UK and on many forums and I also felt after looking at some in person that a 27" would be too big.

I am extremely glad I went this way as theses monitors are brilliant. I calibrated them using various online tools and have to say they are almost perfect (in my opinion). Whites are super bright, blacks are deep, the contrast is noticeably better than my old Samsung and colours are vibrant and not washed out. Have checked for dead/stuck pixels and there were none and on the lightbleed check I struggled to notice it sat in a dark room.

Price wise they are a bargain too. I got both delivered for a grand total of £300 and the dual screen set up works well as the bezel is very thin. Will probably upgrade my card and get a 3rd for eyefinity.

I can't recommend this highly enough!

thanks for feedback, very usefull for people like me who havent got the balls to risk ordering one!

Soldato
I was going to do a little review on this monitor now I have had mine for a while but I will do a little conclusion. Out of the box I agree with everyone else, it is too bright. I don't suffer with any sort of photo sensitivity but out of the box you need sunglasses. I think it stupid for them to be shipped like it, why not ship at 50 brightness as its the middle ground. Once the settings have been played with a little then the blacks seem black and whites white. Colours look good on it too, especially for games and watching movies. Viewing angle is a pain someotimes, and would really suffer if there are a few people trying to watch due to the varying viewing angles. Though if only going to be you then it will be ok.

Overall I would say it comes down to 3 questions:
Are there better monitors at this size: Yes
Are there better monitors for this price: Yes
Are there better monitors at this size and price: No.

Soldato
In my opinion the B2430L offers superior image and build quality for a cheaper price. I don't pretend to have used either the BenQ G2420HDBL or the Samsung B2430L as much as somebody who has owned either panel for a while; but I have tried and tested enough monitors to formulate a balanced and educated opinion on the matter. As people have said the brightness of the BenQ is far too bright out of the box. It isn't just brightness though - the problem is compounded by the very poor contrast controls so that the image appears not only very bright but also bleached at high contrast levels. Then there is the big issue of image quality. The B2430L is not perfect but the dithering algorithms are far better implemented than on the G2420HDBL - so gradients and many colours appear smoother and don't crawl or appear 'dotted'. The response time algorithm, despite both having a comparable stated grey-to-grey response time, is slightly better on the B2430L too. The LED backlight improves the power efficiency and does make for some pretty nice whites on the BenQ, but it also makes the monitor a whole deal lighter and worsens the already cheap 'low build quality' feel of the G2420HDBL.

I don't mean to put anybody off who is dead set on getting one or upset any existing users - it's still a great deal. I just think people should be willing to go down lesser-trodden but smoother paths.

Last edited:
Associate
I agree that the brightness out of the box is too much but after a bit of tweaking it's fine. I also haven't noticed any ghosting myself but then some people's eyes are more sensitive to it than others.

In terms of build quality I agree it's not the best stand but once it's set up how often do you need to pick it up again?

Back
Top Bottom