Connect to internet through a secondary computer

Associate
hi everyone,

im looking for a way to set up an internet connection to my laptop. I currently have the following setup:

internet > computer. I have an issue where my ISP will only allow one device to access the internet (student accomodation for you, i begrudge paying £80 to get another computer installed). This is done via using the devices mac address. is there any way to set up an internet connection through my computer to get access on the laptop?

so far i have looked into ICS (internet connection service) which doesn't work (using setup: internet > computer > switch > laptop)

the only other way i could think of is by ad Hoc. I would also like to point out that i can transfer files from computer to laptop using the switch so i know there is no connection issue there...

anyone have any ideas or should i go ahead with getting a wireless adapter and ad hoc?

Soldato
why cant you get a router and give that mac address to the halls so then it would be connected and the computers inside the routers network would work. is it that simple or am i missing something...

Associate
OP
its taken two weeks to get my computers mac address set up, do you have any router suggestions and a how to to set one up (im good with computers but not with networking!)

Soldato
D-Link DIR-615 should do the trick. Just clone your mac address to the router when you set it up. It's just a button in the router config page, no rocket science involved.

Soldato
I assumed you have an incoming ethernet connection. If that's the case then it should be fine.

xmsrup.jpg

Internet IN - Grey port. Ethernet from modem/lan/wall socket.

Your machines - Blue ports.

Again, when you set this up for the first time don't connect the internet to the router. Connect your PC to the router first and find the Clone MAC address bit in the setup page.
Once that's done power it all off, plug the internet in, and away you go. Dlink routers are usually found at http://192.168.0.1/
Initial password is often just blank. But it will say in the manual.

Assuming they just use a MAC address to ID you it should be OK. Some places go a bit further to prevent you doing this.

Last edited:
Associate
hello, I have the exact same situation here, and finally managed to resolve it today after lots of digging around.

If your computer has 2 lan port then connect the 2nd lan to your laptop.
Go into network connections on your computer and select both ports and select Bridge. Then right click on the connection that has internet and on sharing select the option for other computers to get internet through it.
If you have a problem with ICS then follow this :

http://social.answers.microsoft.com.../thread/5a5341d9-e49e-49a9-8bda-80901831b683/

If you do not have 2 lan ports then unfortunately you will need a router.

Associate
OP
crud - just found out that the ISP can detect if a router has been connected or if a computer is using ICS as they check for NAT, both of those solutions are out the window, any other ideas?

Associate
OP
its ask4, packaged deal with the accommodation provider you get "free" internet. I know they are checking cause when i tried ICS it came straight up in the internet browser. To answer the question, 4mb which they cap anyway, no chance of getting any more - ive checked with speedtest. what they dont say its a one device policy

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom