Rig/Cruncher images and specs......

Associate
Personally I find those fans too noisy. I'd go for the Akasa Apaches

Ok, I'll keep that in mind. May not need to raised the QPI to 1.375 and the CPU PLL to 1.86 and it did 24 hours of bigadv at 1.34v core. Just trying 24 hours of 1.328 now and temps have gone below 80 maximum :D

Associate
Rack

Not sure if this is going to work never posted pics but these are the rack modules im working on:)
Sorry about pic quality took them on my phone.

Rack004.jpg

Seti rack 1 MSI K9A2 platinum with a 1055t, Akasa 1200W(not modlar as u can see) with two GTS250's an 8800GTS 512 and a 8800GT(all going soon to make way for GTX460's)

Rack005.jpg

Milkyway rack DFI 790fx-m2rs with phenom 955, 1000w modular running two 5970's with accelero coolers:)

Yes the cpu cooler is the wrong way round but it will do for now until the bracket to turn it arrives.

Rack002.jpg

Seti 2 this was the first rack i did note terrible cable management (will sort this out but have run out of time)
This also has a MSi K9A2 platinum with 1055t akasa 1200w and my first GTX460 ,pity no work from seti:(

Will post some pics of the rack when its all tidy:)

Soldato
Like it, thought about doing this myself instead of using expensive case's but the cooling situation put me off.

I dont know what type of encloser you are going to use but I would be interested to know what cooling solution you have for the cabinet (if any).

I notice you are using cuda 1.1 and 1.3 capable cards in the same machine, has this given you any trouble at all.

Soldato
Nice set up, how much do those racks cost? Also did you come arross any problems updating the MSI K9A2 platinum bios for the 1055t? I thinking about getting the 95w version if it's released.

Associate
I dont know what type of encloser you are going to use but I would be interested to know what cooling solution you have for the cabinet (if any).

Front and back doors are perforated and the fans will all(eventually) exhaust thru the front, side panels not yet fitted so will see how we go with that one

I notice you are using cuda 1.1 and 1.3 capable cards in the same machine, has this given you any trouble at all.

Not seen any problems so far using lunatics app and stock einstein:)

Nice set up, how much do those racks cost? Also did you come arross any problems updating the MSI K9A2 platinum bios for the 1055t? I thinking about getting the 95w version if it's released.

Ive got a 95W in one and a 125w in the other the later being a mistake on my part but it was only £75.The bios update was OK used msi update tool in windows but had to do it with my 955 as would not boot with 1055 fitted.
The rack shelves are quite expensive for what they are, about £40 each:(

Associate
Here's my latest upgrade:

New improved photos rig.
Rampage.jpg

Water chiller.
Chiller.jpg

System spec:
Case - Akasa Eclipse 62 (had this for 5 years and still love it).
MB - Asus Rampage II Extreme
CPU - i7 950
RAM - OCZ Obsidian 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600Mhz Triple Channel Kit
GFX - Powercolor HD 4890

Cooling:
Chiller - D-D DC750
Pump - Swiftech Laing D5 Vario MCP655
CPU block - Heatkiller 3.0 LT
Res - XSPC single bay res
Tubing - 1/2" black XSPC
Fittings - EK Polished Nickel Plated Brass G1/4" (BSPP) Thread to 1/2" Hose Tail

CPU running at 4.4GHz. Thought I had it stable at 4.5GHz - ran Prime blend for several hours without issue but within 20 minutes of starting the SMP Folding client, it crashed - reinforcing my assertion that Folding is a much better OC testing tool than Prime :p

Had to use quite high voltages to achieve 4.4GHz (1.475 Vcore/1.425 QPI) but the water chiller keeps temps well within accpetable levels. Water temperature set to 13C which keeps the load temps around the 60C mark. It's currently munching its way through a bigadv WU with HFM estimating a little over 40k ppd :D

Sadly, I managed to bork my GTX295 when I fitted the waterblock :( I was very careful and wasn't aware of doing any damage but, when I went to boot up, I got the beep code for faulty graphics I've stuck in a 4890 to tide me over for now. Not sure what I'm going to do regarding graphics - I'll probably bung a 460 or two (or three) in there eventually - or I may take the GTX295 out of the gaming rig and put it in there and put some 460s in the gaming rig. That's a bit off in the future so I have plenty of time to think about it.

I'll try putting the stock cooler back on the non functional 295 and try it in the spare rig I'll be putting together when the RAM arrives - fingers crossed. That'll be another i7 rig made out of the old UD3R board and i7 920 that was in this rig originally. I've ordered some RAM for it and the rest of it (PSU, HDD etc.) will come from the old Q6600 rig from the bedroom.

Do you get any problems with condensation with your water chiller?

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Do you get any problems with condensation with your water chiller?

None at all - the ability to adjust the water temperature makes it easy to avoid. The trick is to find the lowest water temperature at which you get no condensation and then set it to a couple of degrees higher. For instance, when I set up this system, I tried various settings and found that I got slight condensation forming at 6C. If I set it to 8C or above, I had no condensation at all.

To be honest, it's not necessary to set it that low anyway. I had it set at 13C which kept the CPU temp at around 60C (setting it to 20C had the CPU under 70) which is perfectly comfortable (considering, my other i7 rigs run 24/7 at around 80C).

Associate
None at all - the ability to adjust the water temperature makes it easy to avoid. The trick is to find the lowest water temperature at which you get no condensation and then set it to a couple of degrees higher. For instance, when I set up this system, I tried various settings and found that I got slight condensation forming at 6C. If I set it to 8C or above, I had no condensation at all.

To be honest, it's not necessary to set it that low anyway. I had it set at 13C which kept the CPU temp at around 60C (setting it to 20C had the CPU under 70) which is perfectly comfortable (considering, my other i7 rigs run 24/7 at around 80C).

Thanks for your helpful reply, I may consider this setup in future. However is it noisy?

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Thanks for your helpful reply, I may consider this setup in future. However is it noisy?

Yes :p

The chiller is about as loud as a fridge and tends to kick in for about 30 seconds every 5 minutes or so. The beauty of it is, if you have a decent pump, you can put the chiller in another room and run long hoses.
It's not something I would recommend for a PC you'll be using regularly. Mine is my gaming rig and, once I move into my new flat, it'll be in a separate room and only used when I'm gaming (i.e. when I have the volume up high or have a headset on).

Associate
My folding machine isnt finished yet, but should hopefully be up and running in a week or so.

Here are the specs for it.
AMD Phenom 9650 (Old upgraded part)
ASUS M3A (old upgraded part)
4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 (old upgraded part)
250 GB HDD
Corsair CX500

and hopefully a nice brand spanking new;
MSI GTX460 768M Cyclone

havent decided on OS yet might try linux for a while but think i'll move to W7 HP fairly soon. so should have a pic for u next week too.

Soldato
My main folding rig:

Case: Thermaltake Tsunami Dream
CPU: Phenom II 555 Black Edition @ 3.9Ghz - Corsair H50 on the way
MB: XFX n750a SLI - Asus M4N82 Deluxe on the way
Memory: 2Gb cheapo
GPU: 2x MSI GTS450 Cyclone Shader @ 1880Mhz
PSU: OcUK Battle 550w

IMAG0616.jpg

Associate
finally got my folding rig working again, it's not special at all, very basic system, mainly spare parts from previous builds.
5280238141_4b6bc669d4.jpg

its just an old
phenom 9650 @2.3Ghz
Asus M3A (Totally useless MB)
Now for the better bits 4gb corsiar XMS2
Msi cyclone GTX460 768
Corsair CX500 psu
and an old 250gb HDD

Last edited:
Associate

made over the past year:
CM690II Advanced Case
Phenom II 965
Coolermaster TX3 Cooler
Asus M4A785TDM-EVO Mobo
8GB DDR3 1333MHz RAM
60GB OCZ Vertex 2e SSD
500GB Maxtor HDD
CIT Fan controller (temporary)
1X Xigmatek Orange 120mm fan
2X Xigmatek Orange 140mm fan
Corsair TX750W PSU
AMD Radeon HD 6950
Xonar D2X Sound Card - Logitech X530 speakers
Custom side panel

looks a lot better than it was when it was a baby

Generic Case
Phenom II 965
Coolermaster TX3 Cooler
Asus M4A785TDM-EVO Mobo
8GB DDR3 1333MHz RAM
500GB Maxtor HDD
Generic 500w PSU (blew twice) + 600w generic (blew when i ran my new gpu on metro 2033 :D only 200w 12v rail)
ATI Radeon HD 5770 (3 slot)

about that 5770- anyone know what brand it is??

Last edited:
Associate
Folding. - i couldnt before is i had a 5770 and it said i needed a feature that it didn't have
I'ts my main rig too though - i fold in the time i'm not on it.

btw isnt there another thread with normal PC rigs? i found it ages ago and cant find it now...

Back
Top Bottom