• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Unlock your ATI 6950 to a 6970 Thread

Soldato
Well this should make you feel better.
I paid £1919.07 in July including shipping for the pair of 5970 4GB Sapphire Toxics.
A pair of 6990 4GB will most likely equal or better them for £850-£1000, your situation don't seem so bad now does it ;), the difference is that i don't care :) i knew that they were priced 40% more than there true worth but there was no alternative at the time.
You are insane.

I always presumed that OCUK simply quietly removed those cards from sale because they realised no idiot would actually drop £950+ each on them for just an extra 2GB RAM. Didn't believe they'd actually sold them until now.

I know what people do with their own money is their business etc but cmon man. One alternative you didn't consider was not spending the money at all, or even simply realising that with graphics card development pace being what it is not only did you spend 40%+ (conservative guesstimate imo) more than they were worth, but they depreciated faster than one can fathom.

edit: Though it does tickle me to think that you alone basically paid for the road tax on Gibbo and Spie's cars in pure profits.

Last edited:
Soldato
[WU-TANG]GZA;18084780 said:
Not really the same thing is it? 5970 and the 6990 are what? Over 12 months apart? For me it was 24hours and it has nothing to do with what other people have..... have you even read my posts? Maybe you should have practiced reading at 13 instead of controlling your emotions.

I did not read all of your posts but the point is your paying a premium for a guaranteed specification there is nothing to get upset about.

Its nearly always been the case that the single GPU below the top is the best value & by whatever means can usually nearly match the premium, surely you have read enough in the past to know that ;).

Controlling emotions has severed me fare better than most can imagine.

Last edited:
Associate
I did not read all of your posts but the point is your paying a premium for a guaranteed specification there is nothing to get upset about.

Its nearly always been the case that the single GPU blow the top is the best value & by whatever means can usually nearly match the premium, surely you have read enough in the past to know that ;).

Controlling emotions has severed me fare better than most can imagine.

I do get that and appreciate your thoughts on the 6970. I just don't want ppl thinking that I dislike the 6950 owners who can improve their card in a way that 6970 owners can't. I'm happy for them as I've already posted...just feel a little let down considering the extra price for the 6970 but as Trigaar said, hopefully when future drivers are released and voltage etc hopefully the gap will widen again, that's all. Then everyone wins! Happy days!

@FrenchTart - I am reasonable, I don't get what you're on about tbh.

Soldato
You are insane.

I always presumed that OCUK simply quietly removed those cards from sale because they realised no idiot would actually drop £950+ each on them for just an extra 2GB RAM. Didn't believe they'd actually sold them until now.

I know what people do with their own money is their business etc but cmon man. One alternative you didn't consider was not spending the money at all, or even simply realising that with graphics card development pace being what it is not only did you spend 40%+ (conservative guesstimate imo) more than they were worth, but they depreciated faster than one can fathom.

They sold out at OcUK (I think i bought the first 2) & everywhere else on the planet.

I paid for the guaranteed Clock & the extra 2GB RAM.

All i care about is that they do what i want them to do & nothing else existed that could match them & its as simple as that.

I don't care about depreciation or there after sale worth i care about what they are doing when in my PC & nothing more.

Now to not derail this thread any more replys will be put into a new thread if need be.

Last edited:
Soldato
Great thread Easy and great when you get something for nothing, extra performance, what we all live for. Now if I could just squeeze a bit more out of my 470......:D

Hey GJ, shoulda got those 6950's man, jeez, LOL. PMSL at Janice from friends.:D

Last edited:
Associate
Could someone take the time and make a youtube step by step guide on how to flash your 6950 and get its cores to 6970 levels for those such as myself who want to flash but have never done it before.

Associate
Mr Mustard
what temps are you getting with xfire ?

Around 90C on both GPUs at full load, fans running at 45%-50%, which is too much for my liking and noticeably louder than the 6950 xfire setup.

Now that I know this works I'm considering going back to the 6950 BIOS and keeping an eye open for a few weeks to see if numerous reports of flashed 6950s dying start surfacing. Not exactly in the spirit of overclocking, I know; but I'm not mad on the prospect of binning 450 quid's worth of gear. :)

Associate
Congrats easyrider!!!
Personally I've no regret on buying 6970's and still happy for people being able to flash their 6950's to 6970's. I doubt there will be a massive downside to it apart from maybe not achieving as high an overclock but you can't complain with such performance gains for that price.

The 6970's are rated as 190W average during gaming officially so the pins will have no influence on someone running a slight overclock on a flashed 6950 with average use I bet.

The best part is 555buk and skyrocket will be pulling their hair out when they see this works just fine :D...haters gonna hate lol

Soldato
Around 90C on both GPUs at full load, fans running at 45%-50%, which is too much for my liking and noticeably louder than the 6950 xfire setup.

Now that I know this works I'm considering going back to the 6950 BIOS and keeping an eye open for a few weeks to see if numerous reports of flashed 6950s dying start surfacing. Not exactly in the spirit of overclocking, I know; but I'm not mad on the prospect of binning 450 quid's worth of gear. :)

thats all i needed to know many thanks

Back
Top Bottom