FAO Americans

Gyros is the Greek name.
Doner is the Turkish name.
Shawarma is the Arabic name.

They're all the same thing, but go under different names depending where your local immigrant population originates from.

The Greeks are the best kebab makers though, because they're the only ones that make pork kebabs.

Soldato
Come to think of it, never seen kebabs over here.......although I'm not a huge fan anyway so probably never really looked out for them. Maybe they're popular in other parts of the US - it's a pretty big place :) Lots of Gyro places, but I don't think they're quite the same.

Indian food is starting to take off over here now though - couple of really good restaurants we go to often. And that's high praise from somebody who grew up close to the "Balti Belt" ;)

No pork pies though......I really miss the jelly stuff that surrounds the meat....mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Permabanned
Gyros is the Greek name.
Doner is the Turkish name.
Shawarma is the Arabic name.

They're all the same thing, but go under different names depending where your local immigrant population originates from.

The Greeks are the best kebab makers though, because they're the only ones that make pork kebabs.

They aren't really the same though, I'd compare them to chips and french fries, similar but different.

They aren't really the same though, I'd compare them to chips and french fries, similar but different.

My mum's spag bol probably doesn't taste like your mum's spag bol, but they're still both spag bol.

Schawarma, doner, or gyros. It doesn't matter what you call them, they're all just meat-byproduct compressed into a giant block, served in unleavened bread with salad and chilli sauce.

Permabanned
My mum's spag bol probably doesn't taste like your mum's spag bol, but they're still both spag bol.

Schawarma, doner, or gyros. It doesn't matter what you call them, they're all just meat-byproduct compressed into a giant block, served in unleavened bread with salad and chilli sauce.

Yes but gyros seem to be actual pieces of meat, note my pic above. Doners seem to be reconstituted meat. They sell both in Germany, I guess due to the large Greek and Turkish population, but they are quite different - it would be like your mum cooking a spag bol with stewing steak.

Permabanned
This is what a gyros spit looks like:

FSitK.jpg

Note the real looking pieces of meat? Nothing like the doners we get in the UK. ;)

In the States you can find the sliced meat one like the pic or the compressed meat ones like here, both are called Gyros and in some places they are both called Doners it just depends on the store.

They are the same thing basically. In greece it is the same, depends on the restaurant and the ethnicity of the owners as to what one you get.

Permabanned
In the States you can find the sliced meat one like the pic or the compressed meat ones like here, both are called Gyros and in some places they are both called Doners it just depends on the store.

They are the same thing basically.

I guess it must be different depending on location/who is making it then.

Anyway, the point is those kind of 'gyros' are quite different in taste and texture to a doner we get in the UK.

Permabanned

Anyway, the point is those kind of 'gyros' are quite different in taste and texture to a doner we get in the UK.

Yeah, one is just a derivative of the other, a bit like Mcdonalds and Burgerking hamburgers. Same but different.

Associate
Look, I lived for Germany for 5 years, that's what a gyros spit looks like there. I had plenty, and plenty of Doner. :)

If that's chicken it's very pink don't you think?

Do a google search for gyros.

To be fair, that's what the chicken looks like in my local kebaby although I don't doubt you know what you're talking about.

Man of Honour
If that's chicken it's very pink don't you think?
Nope it is thigh meat which is that colour and also marinaded.

I would love to find a cheap kebbab machine, as I would love to try hairy bikers donner kebab, which is layered lamb meat, rather than processed.

I'm not arguing man, I know I'm right. :) The area they're from is like a 1000 miles wide, so not everyone is going to use exactly the same techniques and recipes. A burger from Gordon Ramsey's resturant isn't going to be anything like a burger from Mcdonalds, but they're still both burgers.

The thing that defines all of them as being what they are is the cooking method. It's big lump of meat all squashed together on a spit, and when somebody wants some you just cook a bit on the outside, and then keep the rest. It originated in Arabia as an efficient way of cooking meat in the desert when you don't have much firewood available.

Soldato
OP
great food imo smother it in chilli, mayo and a bit of lemon and mint and it's a meal of champions! but i just couldn't imagine an american spilling one down himself on the sidewalk after one too many buds

Back
Top Bottom