Your Favourite Restaurants

Man of Honour
Thanks for that. I more or less agree - the quality of food now compared to 15 years ago is a stark contrast. I didn't rate France when I've been over there in the past... at least I didn't experience an earth shattering difference, I'm not saying it was bad or poor, I'm just saying it wasn't the difference stereotypes had led me to expect.

I think if you go to the less run of the mill type of places the food will be good, but your average small cafe or chain isn't going to blow your mind. I still feel that overall on average the food is better in France as whole - but at the high end of the scale things are much closer tending towards being indestinguishable other than language and behaviour.

Soldato
they charge restaurant prices for crap food, I don't mind fast food places but they shouldn't try and make it something it isnt which is what F+Bs do

Fair enough, I really should look up some better restaurants down here, need to find a decent steakhouse.

/edit spec me a steakhouse in Brighton?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Haven't tried that - I moved out of the Camberwell/Dulwich area in 2007 :eek:

Definitely give the Sea Cow a try though :) I would hope with Hugh's Fish Fight, they might have even expanded past their usual range of fish even further, which would be very cool.

I live in SW London now anyway (Southfields / Putney area) - however friends and family live around that way still so definitely something to try when I'm in that neck of the woods.

Might have to give that a try although reviews say the service isn't great.

I had cracking service, but I did exclusively speak Spanish to the waitress and manager, and received a free glass of wine for my friend and I. We were very well looked after. I guess it just depends on when you go - I guess the flirting also helped ;)

good and bad parts, seemed to lack consistent service

Well the food was so good that I didn't notice the service - but as I mentioned it was very good for me! :)

Man of Honour
I love eating out but don't do it so much at the moment due to a baby and a toddler.

Some of my favourites:

Le Gavroche (the set lunch is the best value in London at £59 for three courses plus amuses bouches and pe**** fours, including wine, water and coffee - with 2 stars and incredible food, you just can't go wrong)

The Good Earth - my nearest is in esher but there are others - good chinese food

Le Manoir - hellishly expensive (particularly if you stay) but lovely

Miramar - in puerto andratx in mallorca, great for lunch (again set lunch is great value) or dinner and amazing, fish, lamb and mallorcan traditional dishes - couple of others in same town too

The fish and chip shop on east molsey high street - no idea what it's called but it's great

The 21 club in NYC - great whether you want fine dining or a burger

The cinamon club for interesting indian - first time I had game in indian styles

Soldato
The Pavillion, Lanchester - Cantonese
Lunch time menu is £14.95 per person for a meal that is normally around £30. Best Cantonese food any of us have had, been back a few times since and it's perfect every time!

Not strictly fitting with the theme:

Local Pub - Usual
Had the same chef for over 30 years, and produces some absolutely amazing quality food (for a pub) for not too much money. Sunday Roast there is just heavenly!

Associate
Ive been very fortunate to go to the private room at Le Manoir aux Quat' Saisons (here), Raymond Blanc's 2 Michelin * restaurant, it was fantastic food, and the tour around the kitchens and gardens was eye opening! If you ever get the chance jump at it!

A bit further a field, I find that the pinchos bars in central San Sebastian, Spain, always do some amazing small dishes for a rather surprising price.

Associate
We haven't been back to F&B since it took the one in High Wycombe 3 hours to serve 3 courses, and lets be honest it's not a place you want to spend 3 hours eating and talking. After all its not that kind of place.

The manager came to our table and asked if there was anything he could do for us, so my wife turned to him and said 'you could give us the whole meal for free' and without arguing he agreed.

The people on the table next to us looked most annoyed as he had palmed them off with a free drink :D

Associate
The best place I've been to is St. Helena near Bedford, its lovely, the food is amazing, the atmosphere is warm and friendly, like visiting your friends for dinner and the service was impeccable.

My favourite place to eat out though has to be my village pub, its small and friendly, the food is very good for a pub and brilliant value, and you know everyone so its great.

Associate
The Ship - Leith waterfront, Edinburgh (Outstanding Seafood place)

Mother India - Near Kelvingrove Art museum, Westend Glasgow (The best Inidan I have ever been in.)

Sushi Bar - High Street, Chester (does as it says on the tin, but very well.)

The Raja - Inverness (The best Indian in the North of Scotland hands down.)

Voodoo Rooms - Rose Street Edinburgh (Best Ceasar Salad I've ever had and an amazing choice of wine and cocktails.)

Soldato
The best place I've been to is St. Helena near Bedford, its lovely, the food is amazing, the atmosphere is warm and friendly, like visiting your friends for dinner and the service was impeccable.

My favourite place to eat out though has to be my village pub, its small and friendly, the food is very good for a pub and brilliant value, and you know everyone so its great.

*Noted*

Thanks for that where abouts is it exactly?

Soldato
It was the Santa Maria del Sur in Battersea on Ramsay's Best Restaurant, wasn't it?
Ah maybe. I saw streak and near Clapham, and put two and two together. And got three :(

The one on the TV show did really well, service was really fast and the food was great but lacked any refinement. It seemed alright if you wanted a slab of meat cooked perfectly though.

Soldato
We also like Smiths of Smithfield in London.
I like Smiths of Smithfield, too. Nice place.

However, some of my favourites are:

The Hawksmoor Seven Dials, near Covent Garden, London
http://www.thehawksmoor.co.uk/
hawks.jpg

I personally think the Hawksmoor is easily one of the best steakhouses in Europe. Unpretentious atmosphere and the chateubriand is exceptional. It goes down fantastically well with a half lobster and some macaroni cheese. There's enough choice that you can eat there for a reasonable amount, but if you are splashing out it can quickly get expensive - a recent meal there for two was a tad over £260, despite only one bottle of wine. I would definitely recommend everyone go there at least once to try the chateubriand with a half lobster.

Il Bordello, in Wapping, London
http://www.lafiga.co.uk/il-bordello.html
bordello.jpg

Traditional tiny Italian restaurant with the standard fare of dishes. The specials board almost always contains a real favourite of mine - crab ravioli. It tastes sublime. The service is fantastically Italian and the prices are very reasonable. Portions are massive. Order a calzone and you'll eat for a week unless you're Giant Haystacks.

Slows Bar BQ, Michigan Avenue in Detroit
http://slowsbarbq.com/
slows.jpg

THE best BBQ food I have ever tasted. Generous and typically tasty American meat cuts with very flavourful sources and nice sides. Order the 'The Big Three' for a mix of pulled pork, pulled chicken and sliced brisket. Another meal that goes well with mac and cheese.

Tuk Tuk Noodle Bar, in Soho, London
tuktuk.jpg

I list this place as many a time it has been a late-night 'drunk as a skunk' lifesaver for me. Really good food, great Asian-style service, good-sized portions and inexpensive.

L'Atelier de Joel Robuchon, off Charing Cross Road (West End), London
http://www.joel-robuchon.net/
latelier.jpg

Twin michelin star winning restaurant in the West End. Trendy and modern, it provides an interesting dining experience that I really enjoy. Not cheap but won't break the bank if you are careful. I haven't been for over a year but it really was very good then.

Crypt Bar, Prescot Street, London
crypt.jpg

Very down-to-earth bar in a crypt. Mimi, the owner, is an excellent cook who will rustle you up a truly epic fish and chips for a bargain price. Great place to go with colleagues after work. Don't expect fabulous decor or to be attentively waited on, but instead mini darts teams playing tournaments and a giant CRT TV in the middle of the bar with the football on.

Soldato
Nottingham:

Chutney (Indian)
Laguna (Indian)
Mayfair (cheap Chinese, quality though, family has been going for 50+ years!)
Soulville Steakhouse
Gourmet Burger Kitchen
Petit Paris
Bistrot Pierre

York:

Gourmet Burger Kitchen (heh)
Akbars! (Indian ;) )

Yeah, I need suggestions for places in York! Does anyone know a good steak place? We found one, went through the effort of finding it, made our way there, to find it closed! Doh.

Back
Top Bottom