The nod

Associate
OP
Are you on a new bike, do you nod at older bikes or only those "on a par" with your machine? Do you ride an older bike and still get nods from the 0% finance boys, or do they ignore you too?

I'm on a 98/99 cbr600 f4 but because it stayed the same shape for so many years i guess many could view it as being fairly new especially because of the condition. But for me dont discriminate against older bikes just do sports bikes as no one else nods back

Soldato
The nod is pretty global. I get it here in the USA, even from the bearded, leather clad ZZ Top lookalikes on their Harleys. I'm on a Super Moto, so the similarities end at two wheels and a handlebar.

Associate
Go to Europe, you get legs waved, full on hand waves and everything, even going opposite directions on motorways!!

I nod to most bikes I see, the old bill on bikes always get a nod! Id say most nod back but you do get quite a few power rangers that dont...

Hah, yes when I'd just passed my DAS I went to Europe and the hand waves are much missed indeed over here!

Associate
Sideways, being Irish I'm genetically impregnated with the ability to nonchalantly nod with uncanny ease.

Unlike those people you see trying to knock themselves out on their wing mirrors...

Caporegime
i nod to everyone, especially 50cc and 125 cc riders as they really dont expect it and are almost like

my god i got a nod !

love it.

125cc L plated scooter here.

I heard about "the nod" from my instructor friend while doing my CBT. About two weeks after it this guy in full race leathers on a big bike slowed down and gave me a full on nod!! I nearly fell off there and then lol but managed to get a very wobbly nod back at him. I'm sure he had a right royal chuckle but it felt nice all the same :D

Soldato
I usually go for the nod / raise hand and wave combo. Unless I'm cornering at the time, obviously.

That said I recall many years back being out on a run and around a pretty tight corner coming the other way, cranked right over and tramping on at a fair lick of speed there was a Gixxer 750 rider heading towards me. I nodded and he performed a full off the bars military style salute as he got his knee down. :p

Soldato
I nod at everyone, rarely get a nod back from Cruisers or GS riders, though they rarely nod anyway and I just get waved at from other GS riders if I'm on my dads bike, police bikers nearly always nod, if they don't you must look dodgy :p

I do a straightforward nod going straight but do the sideways nod when cornering or knee down :p it just feels more natural.

Associate
I'm on a 50cc supermoto on L plates

I get the nod from other bikes mostly sports bikes so I nod back. I give the nod to all bikes exsept scooters. but generally when I I overtake scooters when they are stuck flat out at 30 I get the horn and the middle finger from some chav. so I then I give them the over the shoulder nod

Soldato
planning on getting me CBT done soon as looking to get a bike and my mate was like:

" ahhh you wait till you get on the bike... you will become a member of an exclusive group who have a secret handshake... well... more of a nod"

that thought alone has made me want to get a bike a bit more hehe... pulling up at the lights in an L plated 125cc and someone puling up with a beast of a machine giving me the nod.... :O omg RECOGNITION!!!!! hahaha! was looking at some CBT vids on youtube and tbh.... look like a piece of p***... and then the actual mod1 part of the pratical looks easy too!!!! been driving for 7 years pretty much (longer if ya count driving over farm tracks ;) ) so i dare to say i have pretty decent road sense. also been cycling for years too so i have pretty decent control of a bike. i have a minimoto so has a bit of powered bike experience... but never been on a proper bike...

so even tho looking at the tests i think... wow that should be really easy to do... am still kacking it thinking... omg what if i can't even go in and out of the damm cones!!!!! hehe then no one will nod..... they will just shake their heads :p

Back
Top Bottom