The nod

Soldato
I nod or wave to everything on two wheels with an engine. Police bikes, Paramedic bikes, scooters, the lot. Some of the scooter lot look at you quizzically as they genuinely have no idea why a superbike rider has just tipped them a nod. Some commuters are the same as already mentioned by someone but I've also found some weekend power ranger wobblers can be the same. Latest tackle, exotica superbike and still dont know about the whole "nod/wave" thing.

I've been nodding and waving since 1989. It's one of the great things about biking but sadly, it appears to be on the decline, sort of.

Associate
Go to Europe, you get legs waved, full on hand waves and everything, even going opposite directions on motorways!!

I nod to most bikes I see, the old bill on bikes always get a nod! Id say most nod back but you do get quite a few power rangers that dont...

Soldato
I nod police bikers as well and you nearly always get one back from them :D

I do it to pretty much everyone, the worst ones for not nodding back are cruiser riders in my experience.

Associate
Nod everyone except mopeds!

Was off the bike there this evening and waved at a harley and both him and his pillion waved back! Thats right folks - hell has frozen over.

Soldato
I nod to everyone - usually only get nods back from other sports bike riders.

I do too, except chavs in tracksuits and trainers riding mopeds/2 stroke supermoto's.

I'll usually see the head turn slightly, if it does then I'll nod. I don't tend to nod first but happily nod back.

Coming around a sweeping bend and another biker with a pillion were coming the other way, we had about a second before we had past each other and all 3 of us got a nod in :D

Soldato
Nod everyone except mopeds!

Was off the bike there this evening and waved at a harley and both him and his pillion waved back! Thats right folks - hell has frozen over.

This, indiscriminate nod to all motorbike riders.

Ped people can **** off though, even if they have one of those fancy 125cc motorway enabled peds.

Soldato
i nod to everyone, especially 50cc and 125 cc riders as they really dont expect it and are almost like

my god i got a nod !

love it.

That made me chuckle.

Arms up in the air in celebration and excitment of recieving a nod and loosing control of their hair dryers. :p

Soldato
I've always nodded to everyone except scooters with L-plates - not discrimination as such, but just never had one back so stopped nodding to them a few years back. I've always viewed the nod partially as a camaraderie thing, and partially as a mark of respect to the other person. When I moved to big bikes, I made a point of always nodding to everyone on a 125 because it used to make my day when I was on the 125 and a big bike nodded.

I've never ridden an up to date bike (both my 1990 FZR600 and my 1996 Thundace were bought when they were 9 years old, I don't change bikes often!) and I've always noticed anyone with a bike under 3 years old glares but doesn't nod/return a nod. There are a few exceptions, but generally I never get any acknowledgement from anyone until they've had to take their bike for it's first MOT. Several times I've seen them nod at the new, shiny bike a car or two in front of me, then ride past me without even a glance. I've always just put that down as another one of the class divides in bikes (alongside cruisers/sports/scooters/adventures/big/small) but just wondering what other people's experiences are?

Are you on a new bike, do you nod at older bikes or only those "on a par" with your machine? Do you ride an older bike and still get nods from the 0% finance boys, or do they ignore you too?

Soldato
Are you on a new bike, do you nod at older bikes or only those "on a par" with your machine? Do you ride an older bike and still get nods from the 0% finance boys, or do they ignore you too?
My Buell is 18months old and I nod at older bikes. Although its probably quite hard to tell how old my bike is as they were the same shape for the best part of 10 years.

Associate
I'll usually see the head turn slightly, if it does then I'll nod. I don't tend to nod first but happily nod back.

Coming around a sweeping bend and another biker with a pillion were coming the other way, we had about a second before we had past each other and all 3 of us got a nod in :D

Lol quick quick genuinely made me crack up picturing the scene :D

When I used to have a 125 moped I got no nods at all but when I 'upgraded' to a Cagiva Mito I got minimal respect. Although on sundays at bike meets they used to be fascinated with my Mito!

This thread has made me was to get back into bikes. I'm checking out the bike test costs now!!!

Back
Top Bottom