German Grand Prix 2011, Nürburgring Circuit - Race 10/19

Caporegime
Hamilton would almost certainly have been penalised if he and Webber had gotten into each other. I think we can all be sure about that!

Is that what you think IF Webber hadn't have moved and held his outside line?

To me that suggests ever so slightly that Hamilton did something wrong, even if that does upset people because it's hamilton.

Others of course would see it as Hamilton getting unfairly treated by the Stewards :)

Caporegime
Yes, Hamilton would have got a penalty if him and Webber had touched.

However, this is because of the frequency and ease at which the stewards hand out penalties. Something I am getting tired off. If 2 cars touch its an instant penalty. The result is the difference between "an amazing overtake" and "a certain penalty" is a couple of mm.

I want to watch racing. F1 has a hard enough job of providing overtaking as it is, it doesn't need people jumping all over drivers when they get a bit close.

Back to the Hamilton/Webber overtake. If there was a wall there and not a nice big run off, then theres no way Hamilton would have squeezed him into it. The fact there was plenty of room to push Webber wide allowed him to do it.

There was plenty of dam good racing from lots of drivers on Sunday, we don't need people picking apart 'ifs and buts' about things that could have been to try to make stupid points. The mentality that every bit of contact should have someone penalised is a dangerous road to go down.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Is that what you think IF Webber hadn't have moved and held his outside line?

Yes, I believe so.

To me that suggests ever so slightly that Hamilton did something wrong, even if that does upset people because it's hamilton.

It's pretty clear to me that Webber did take avoiding action, action that could have put him into a spin given that the astroturf on the outside of that corner was quite wet still at that stage. Penalty-worthy for Hamilton given that Webber didn't spin? Probably not, though it will colour any future moments the two drivers have on-track with each other. Penalty-worthy if they had touched, or if Webber had spun when he took to the astroturf? Maybe. The problem with most of the penalties that have been handed out of late is that they've been handed out for mistakes, not deliberately aggressive driving. That 10-sec penalty for Schumacher at Silverstone is a prime example - he lost the rear end under braking, Kamui just happened to be in front of him, it happens. It's not like he meant to send one right up the inside from that distance back and to hell with the consequences.

Others of course would see it as Hamilton getting unfairly treated by the Stewards :)

I think Hamilton has gotten a raw deal on occasion. Spa '08 was ludicrous, and it's that race that keeps this sense of grievance bubbling near the surface of Hamilton fans. But at some point he's going to look back and think that maybe, just maybe, a lot of the incidents and scrapes he's gotten into in his career were indeed his fault.

Yes, Hamilton would have got a penalty if him and Webber had touched.

However, this is because of the frequency and ease at which the stewards hand out penalties. Something I am getting tired off. If 2 cars touch its an instant penalty. The result is the difference between "an amazing overtake" and "a certain penalty" is a couple of mm.

Yep. Like I say, they're punishing mistakes and clumsiness, not aggression and stupidity.

If there was a wall there and not a nice big run off, then theres no way Hamilton would have squeezed him into it.

Are you sure? I'm really not. I think he would have pushed out wide and relied on Webber getting out of it. After all - 'you don't win races by letting the other guy get a run around you' is the kind of mentality that many racing drivers (not just in F1) have these days. There's enough of an ego and overarching desire to win in Lewis Hamilton to make him do silly things in order to stay ahead. Schumacher had it, Prost had it, Senna certainly had it.

Guess we'll know one day. Because I doubt this is the last time we'll all be having this kind of conversation on this forum!

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Anyone any thoughts on Alonso running out of fuel. I thought if the car wasn't driven back to the pits with enough fuel to be sampled then there would be a penalty.

Andi.

Certainly for qually that's the rule. If it is for the race as well, maybe he shut it down to save enough for the test.

Caporegime
The rule that you have to drive it back to the pits is for Qualifying only. After the race you simply have to be able to provide enough for a sample, regardless of where you stop.

Soldato
The rule that you have to drive it back to the pits is for Qualifying only. After the race you simply have to be able to provide enough for a sample, regardless of where you stop.

is it a coincidence that it was hamilton who had to stop in quali and the fia then adding a rule that you must make it back under your own power, but now its after the race there is no rule addition or anything.

Caporegime
Last edited:

JRS

JRS

Soldato
is it a coincidence that it was hamilton who had to stop in quali and the fia then adding a rule that you must make it back under your own power, but now its after the race there is no rule addition or anything.

Thank-you, utajoker, for proving me right in record time:

Spa '08 was ludicrous, and it's that race that keeps this sense of grievance bubbling near the surface of Hamilton fans.

:p:D

JRS

JRS

Soldato
i forgot to add Ferrari International Assistance helping ferrari etc etc just to get you fully going.

2e3dguc.jpg

It may be childish, but I'm laughing anyway :D

Soldato
http://i55.tinypic.com/2e3dguc.jpg[/IMG

It may be childish, but I'm laughing anyway :D[/QUOTE]

no im not mad, generally quite happy.

dont no if its been posted but [URL="http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/93348"]buemi 5 place grid drop.[/URL]

Last edited:
Soldato
If I was the FIA and wanted to get Mclaren and Ferrari back in the title after all other routes to nobble Red Bull failed I would keep the more durable compound for mclaren ;)

Remember cooler temps also helped McLaren , wasnt this fact just as important?

Ie whether the tyres are more or less durable, as long as the temps are cool the McLaren will do well ?

So ***** off for JB - if it wasnt for a car failure and the ***** up of a pitstop at Silverstone he would be still be ahead of Lewis in the standings - at least 25 points dropped if not more in two races (*********** McLaren :mad::mad::mad:)

Soldato
So ***** off for JB - if it wasnt for a car failure and the ***** up of a pitstop at Silverstone he would be still be ahead of Lewis in the standings - at least 25 points dropped if not more in two races (*********** McLaren :mad::mad::mad:)

both drivers have dropped 2 races worth of points in 1 way or another.

Caporegime

Yeah that's a shame for Jenson because his non failures haven't been his fault :(

Back
Top Bottom