At one point she called me a racist (lol)

Permabanned
Hey guys - I'm in the middle of searching for a new home to rent I only have a few pieces of criteria I use to search:

around 600-750pcm
zone 2 of london
3-4 tenants
big room
no live in landlord

now, my semi ex (long story) spent pretty much 3 hours last night arguing with me that I am being stupid, a jerk and a racist for excluding live in landlords. More than 3 times I explained it's not because I consider them all the same of any sort, or because of bad experiences my friends have had. It's just for assurance that if they turn out to be crazy:

I don't have to argue with the landlord of the house,
no arguments of who I have round,
what time I go home after a night out,
what we do / don't agree with what goes in the living room,
etc etc.

Now my semi ex is a live in landlord and she is blatantly taking it to heart because even when I have weighed the pros and cons of both with her, she still says I should give it a chance even though I said it's my personal preference. She said

"it's not personal preference, that's like saying being racist is personal preference... which is pretty much what you are saying"

now... this is a whole new bag of snakes that I don't really want to go into but would you agree with her on this? it sounds like a pretty stupid comparison - I am not saying live in landlords is bad - I am saying it is not my personal preference for the reasons above...

am I in the wrong here?...

annoyingly I asked is it really worth calling me a jerk, stupid and a racist? couldn't she just drop the subject after me telling her to stop 3 times... she wouldn't answer and just carried on. so apparently so.

Permabanned
OP
think I might start my own "anti live in landlord cult" I'm sure I'll get a huge following with their views of how the go into your room and pee in your bed while you are sleeping while chanting Nigerian gay rights views..... because we all know this is what happens with live in landlords :p /sarcasm

Soldato
As a live in landlord myself it sounds like she's just at that crazy time of the month and taking things to heart. I've no problems with any of the comments you've made and I'd agree with all of them. When I was renting I would have hated someone having that sort of ruling over me. But I'll quite happily tell my tenant to shut the hell up when I'm trying to get some sleep :)

As a member of Overclockers forums: you sound like a racist.

Soldato
I'm looking for a place atm as well and 100% agree with you OP, sharing a house/flat with people is completely different to living with the landlord. Psychologically you don't feel you're really living in your own home when you're sharing it with the owner, it feels far more like a lodger situation than a houseshare. I personally would never do it unless I knew the landlord really well.

That said, GTFO you racist.

kbc

kbc

Associate
Racist? No. She's insane. She's probably taking your opinion as an attack on her position as a live-in landlord.

You do what you want and look for what you want when trying to find a place to live. I was once advertising for tenants and I said "no couples" or "smokers", that has nothing to do with racism.

Out of interest, what areas of London you looking?

Permabanned
OP
[TW]Fox;19998195 said:
What?

Seriously, what?

tell me about it - I was bamboozled... I didn't know where to begin to start saying what was wrong. We even got onto the living room aka "communal area"

she said if someone is in the living room having a "quiet read", nobody else can come in there and turn the tv on because it's forcing them out of the room.... I said "wtf... so if one person is there first in a 5 bedroom house.... the 4 other people that actually want to watch tv don't get a say because someone is enjoying chapter 5 of harry potter!? **** that!"

she retorted that she was in shock that I would be such a jerk... I replied with "no wonder your housemate stays in her room"

Soldato
we rent the converted top floor flat of a house and the landlady lives downstairs in the main house. We have no issues with her and they don't have any issues with us.

Both my flatmate and I are music dj/producers and bang out the tunes most of the time but we're considerate and don't have it up loud between 10pm - 10am.

Incidentally we are looking for a 3rd flatmate...anyone interested? Weringo?

Back
Top Bottom