windows wont boot at 4.6ghz?

Caporegime
hello all, i have an i5 2500k with an antec kuhler h2o 620 (with a second fan installed and running in push pull)

i get 56*c under full load in prime 95 @ 4.2ghz

i get 59*c under full load in prime 95 @ 4.4ghz

but if i try 4.6ghz @ 1.37v the bios accepts it and it passes the post, but when the 'windows is starting' screen should come up, it just sticks on a black screen.

I can only get it back by resetting the CMOS and setting up my clocks and stuff again (at 4.2 or 4.4)

i don't know if this has anything to do with it, but my hard drive setup is smart response enhanced mode.

Please help, before i installed the second fan and changed to push pull rather than exhaust, i was getting 68*c under full load @ 4.2ghz, so temperature should not be the issue. (i was expecting around 63*c @ 4.6 in push pull)

Soldato
It may be that your CPU wont accept 4.6GHz without further BIOS tweaking or it could be that 4.6GHz isn't possibe.

Have you tried 4.5GHz?

Also, is the clock and memory set up manually?

Associate
Here's some Uefi screen shots from mine this is using offset voltage and is LinX stable max temps low 60*c. Could probably get the vcore a bit lower on mine, when I've got a bit more playing about time ;)

Caporegime
OP
It may be that your CPU wont accept 4.6GHz without further BIOS tweaking or it could be that 4.6GHz isn't possibe.

Have you tried 4.5GHz?

Also, is the clock and memory set up manually?

I haven't tried 4.5 yet no :l

And my clocks are the 'preset' ones. I'm not going to pretend that I'm not a newbie to manual overclocking. :p I am.

I'm happy at 4.2 anyway, its more than fast enough. I have some more serious software related issues to deal with first :l

I'll let you guys know when I'm done with that, and I will get back to this :)

Also Davefran, how have you taken printscreens from within the bios?

Soldato
Here's some Uefi screen shots from mine this is using offset voltage and is LinX stable max temps low 60*c. Could probably get the vcore a bit lower on mine, when I've got a bit more playing about time ;)

snip

Hi mate - I have the same mobo and cpu as yourself - and currently have done nothing more than set the motherboard to automatically clock to 4.4 and to disable the spread spectrum.

Can you give me an overview of the other setting's you've changed please and what they do - specifically that offset voltage settings you're using.

Im interested in pushing my 2500k past 4.4ghz but tbh for 200mhz more it seems like a lot of changes!

Thanks in advance,

Pes x

Associate
Hi mate - I have the same mobo and cpu as yourself - and currently have done nothing more than set the motherboard to automatically clock to 4.4 and to disable the spread spectrum.

Can you give me an overview of the other setting's you've changed please and what they do - specifically that offset voltage settings you're using.

Im interested in pushing my 2500k past 4.4ghz but tbh for 200mhz more it seems like a lot of changes!

Thanks in advance,

Pes x

Have you tried the 4.6GHz Auto Overclock ? All 2500K are different, some will do it with ease.

If you get over 4.6GHz you'll more than likely need to enable Internal PLL Overvoltage to get it stable. Also when running prime or LinX to test for stabilty if you see the multiplier throttling down, you'll need to up the Power Limits and Core Current Limit.

As for the offset voltage, when you use the Auto Overclock the voltages are set automatically and are always set higher than it really needs to allow for stability.
If you set the voltage manually, it will remain at that value even when the multiplier drops to 16 at idle.
If you use the offset, the voltage will be set automatically then you can use the offset to trim it up or down to get the lowest voltage you need to be stable. But when the multiplier drops to 16 at idle the voltage will also drop as it does in the auto overclock mode ;)

Soldato
Thanks for the info Dave.

I'll have a play this evening when I get home, but I think I recall trying the auto 4.6 and it not booting.

Do I have to manually input the RAM volts / timings etc or can all that be left on auto?

Associate
Thanks for the info Dave.

I'll have a play this evening when I get home, but I think I recall trying the auto 4.6 and it not booting.

Do I have to manually input the RAM volts / timings etc or can all that be left on auto?

Pick the XMP profile for your ram then set the voltages manually.

Just had a little play with mine, booted into windows @ 5GHz, then raised the BCLK a tiny bit in windows for a Super pi run :D

Back
Top Bottom