So, getting back on 2 wheels

Don
My health has now improved to the point where I'm looking to get back on 2 wheels. It's been over a year and my god does it itch.
Unfortunately, my usual staple of sports bikes and streetfighters isn't going to cut it any longer. The old reactions aren't good enough and I WILL be tempted to play silly buggers with the throttle and the back wheel.

So, cruiser time.

This is my short list:

Triumph Rocket III 2300cc I3

Suzuki M1800R 1800cc V2

What do you think?
I'm leaning towards the Suzuki at the moment as I can get a better one for the same money as a miley Rocket but, there is something pulling me towards that 2.3L engine in the rocket.

The Suzuki just looks so clean though. Very tidy lines and by all accounts, handles very well indeed for a cruiser.

VoG

VoG

Soldato
not really my kinda thing tbh, i prefer muscle bikes, but, that being said, if it was me, ide go for the Suzuki, purely & simply because it just looks so "right", The petrol tank on the Triumph, really wrecks it's lines, as do the rear indicators, taillight, & the rather fussy exhaust system.

Soldato
The Rocket is a nice bike, but it really is proper huge. I'd like to try one though. If I was going for a cruiser I'd have to give the Night Rod a go too:

harley_nightrod_4_lge.jpg

Otherwise, if you're just after a bloody good road bike with a bit of character then the BMW R1200R is a great bike (and doesnt require matching tassels :p)

Last edited:
Don
OP
I'd love a NightRod but they have a Harley Tax associated with them. Plus they don't seem to fit. Harley riders hate them as they aren't an agricultural push-rod engine and Jap bike riders hate them because they are a Harley.

Don
OP
Well, I've ridden them and it's looking like the Suzuki is going to be the one.
It feels very, very right and sounds great. The Rocket felt rather top heavy.

Soldato
The Rocket is a nice bike, but it really is proper huge. I'd like to try one though. If I was going for a cruiser I'd have to give the Night Rod a go too:

harley_nightrod_4_lge.jpg

Otherwise, if you're just after a bloody good road bike with a bit of character then the BMW R1200R is a great bike (and doesnt require matching tassels :p)

Much as they are comedy motorbikes as far as handling and performance go, if you are hell bent on (wrongly) heading down the gay cruiser route, it has to be the genuine article. such as the monstrosity pictured.

Associate
I got to say I really dislike the Diavel! There is one that uses some of the same roads I do in the morning, and the only nice thing about it is the sound! Really dislike the design/shape :s

Don
OP
Much as they are comedy motorbikes as far as handling and performance go, if you are hell bent on (wrongly) heading down the gay cruiser route, it has to be the genuine article. such as the monstrosity pictured.

The acceleration of the Rocket and the Intruder 1800 isn't really comedy in the sense you are getting at. They are both, very fast in a straight line. Both handle reasonably well for bikes of this type too.

Soldato
The acceleration of the Rocket and the Intruder 1800 isn't really comedy in the sense you are getting at. They are both, very fast in a straight line. Both handle reasonably well for bikes of this type too.

??

You misunderstand.

I was talking about the Harley.

Indeed, the triumph and suzuki are probably good bikes, but they are still knock offs arent they?

Don
OP
Not really knock offs. They are cruisers. I suppose though if all cruisers are knock-offs of HD's bikes then you can call any modern Jap 4 a knock-off of the old GPZ600R which was the first middleweight, accessible 4-cyl sports bike with a fairing that handled.

Personally I wouldn't have a Harley as the Japs and Brits do similar stuff but better.

Soldato
Not really knock offs. They are cruisers. I suppose though if all cruisers are knock-offs of HD's bikes then you can call any modern Jap 4 a knock-off of the old GPZ600R which was the first middleweight, accessible 4-cyl sports bike with a fairing that handled.

Personally I wouldn't have a Harley as the Japs and Brits do similar stuff but better.

Thats evolution.

I can tell you've got your heart set on, or even worse, put a deposit down on something japanese and cruisery.
;)

Good luck!

P.S

As has already been mentioned, there are other, better alternatives to dodgy cruisering about.

Last edited:
Don
OP
As has already been mentioned, there are other, better alternatives to dodgy cruisering about.

We've had two suggestions so far, a dull BMW R and a Ducati I can't afford.
This is what I've ridden over the last few weeks:

Speed Triple 1050 - Too twitchy
Aprilia Tuono R - See Speed Triple 1050
Hayabusa 1300 K9 - I don't have the arm strength any more to support the sports riding position
Tiger 1050 - Owned one before, it was ace but too tall for me really

My recent bike history:
Triumph Tiger 1050
Aprilia RSV1000 Factory
Cagiva X-Raptor
Suzuki Hayabusa
Suzuki GSXR1100

With my current outlook on life, everything keeps drawing me towards a cruiser but I really don't see why so many people hate them so much. Every time I tell a biker I'm looking to get a cruiser I always get the response "Why? They're ****" IMO they are relaxing, fun, good to look at and fun to modify.
The other thing is that when I finally do stop being able to ride on two wheels, I can turn it in to a trike.

I suppose I could look at an old V-Max. It seems to be the only cruiser that doesn't have a stigma.

Soldato
With my current outlook on life, everything keeps drawing me towards a cruiser but I really don't see why so many people hate them so much. Every time I tell a biker I'm looking to get a cruiser I always get the response "Why? They're ****" IMO they are relaxing, fun, good to look at and fun to modify.
The other thing is that when I finally do stop being able to ride on two wheels, I can turn it in to a trike.

I suppose I could look at an old V-Max. It seems to be the only cruiser that doesn't have a stigma.

I tend to agree. I went through the sports bike phase and fell for the Honda Valkyrie when it came out. It's a shame they don't make them anymore (1997-2003).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom