Pick Holes In This Routine

Soldato
OP
I'd say the shakes are fine, the protein component at least. It's just that level of carbs won't be necessary unless there's a serious amount of daily activity involved.

AiiR, you probably have low insulin sensitivity as a result of bad long-term diet. Don't worry, it's something 95% of the UK population has too. When we eat lots of carbs, these get broken down into glucose and enter the bloodstream, we must then secrete insulin which acts to remove this from our blood as too much can have quite significant consequences. The more often you eat carbs, particularly in high amounts, the more insulin you must secrete to keep your blood sugar levels normal. It's all this excess insulin that causes fat gain.

Reducing carb intake reduces insulin spikes as it's required less to remove glucose from your blood. Furthermore, your body becomes more sensitive to insulin (a good thing) so you have to secrete less of it to remove that glucose from your blood.

So if I'm understanding you correctly, reducing my carb intake 'should' equate to better results than I'm seeing now? Or atleast play a part in helping?

Soldato
Why change breakfast for an equally low protein, low fat carb-fest. Get some protein and fat in there! Eggs would be ideal. Also a high carb evening meal would only be advised if working out afterwards to actually make use of the carbs. If it's post-workout keep carbs relatively low-medium and preferably in veg form.

The idea for a carby dinner came from the idea of:
Dinner: Chicken Salad with jacket potato and baked beans, and then a banana before the gym.
Stating that he was going to the gym afterwards. If this isn't the case, then yes I completely agree he should be on low carb dinner with high protein/veg dinner.

As for Breakfast. I'd make the porridge with full fat milk... But didn't really explain that one as well... Which isn't a huge amount, but certainly will help out a bit!

kd

Soldato
So if I'm understanding you correctly, reducing my carb intake 'should' equate to better results than I'm seeing now? Or atleast play a part in helping?

That's correct, yes. Some people choose to cut carbs out of their diet completely for a month in an attempt to increase their insulin sensitivity, but this shouldn't be necessary. Just reduce intake so you're having less than 100g per day, that should be sufficient. By increasing your insulin sensitivity, your body won't be secreting as much which will reduce the amount of fat storage.

Also it's worth noting that combining different food types can have an effect on their absorption rate. If foods are easily broken down into glucose and enter the bloodstream in one big hit (high GI) then it will cause a big insulin spike. Foods that are broken down slowly are absorbed slower and result in a smaller insulin spike. Fats help slow the absorption so make sure they're present in every meal where possible to help reduce the insulin spike that it causes.

The idea for a carby dinner came from the idea of:

Stating that he was going to the gym afterwards. If this isn't the case, then yes I completely agree he should be on low carb dinner with high protein/veg dinner.

As for Breakfast. I'd make the porridge with full fat milk... But didn't really explain that one as well... Which isn't a huge amount, but certainly will help out a bit!

kd

Ah I see where the justification is coming from now, sorry!

Man of Honour
I'd say the shakes are fine, the protein component at least. It's just that level of carbs won't be necessary unless there's a serious amount of daily activity involved..

I suppose my point is more along the lines of why incur the extra cost of high-protein shakes when the evidence to support their effect over and above a good, robust and healthy balanced diet is patchy at best?

Soldato
OP
Right guys I feel I made progress today.

Breakfast: Two eggs boiled with one slice of wholemeal granary toast, glass of milk (semi skimmed).
Lunch: Few slices of ham (the proper stuff not the processed slices) and a few spoons of shredded lettuce and a bottle of water, NOT flavoured. :)

For dinner I'm having a pork chop with roasted potatoes and a heap of steamed veg. Right now I know that probably isn't the most perfect choice, but until I get my shopping done tomorrow I don't have anything better to go with.

Right now all I'm stuck with is, is the breakfast good enough? And for lunch, would a baked potato thrown in there help or should I lay off that to cut down on carbs?

Cheers. ;)

Oh and the point about the shopping applies to the mid morning/afternoon snacks, I will be having almonds and other nuts etc. :)

kai

kai

Soldato
The above looks a big improvement - but personally i still would change quite a few items on the "menu"

Breakfast: I would stick to something like Oat's / Porridge, add honey or even cinnamon to add a bit of extra taste.
Get some snack on the go: keep that metabolism high - i keep saying Almonds, i swear by these.

Lunch: Ham i guess is fine for a bit of change, but stick to things like Tuna, white fish, chicken, salmon, turkey, and steak - plenty of choice and some brown rice and broccoli - cook everything nightmare, 2 days advance and just reheat

Dinner: drop the roast potatoes and do roast Yams (sweet potato) any time you want potato replace with these! - treat like any potato, roast, mash, make chips even take just as good.

Bed Time: i would have something again even if its something small your body is going to be deprived of food for a long time while you sleep - i like a slow release protein shake and a spoon of peanut butter in there

*best personal advice i can give you is prepare you meals in advance and TUPERWARE is your best friend.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
As already posted, much better.

You may find you have more energy to do your routines now, too.

Try making a shake out of water (or milk if you want it heavy), skimmed milk powder, almond flour, porridge oats and raisins. No need for sugar, and you'll be full for hours. :)

Soldato
Aiir, that diet is looking much better but can still be improved.

I suppose my point is more along the lines of why incur the extra cost of high-protein shakes when the evidence to support their effect over and above a good, robust and healthy balanced diet is patchy at best?

Oh I see! I agree, whole foods are better. However more often than not powdered protein is cheaper than any other source out there so you'd more-than-likely be incurring extra cost by avoiding them (providing you're still trying to maintain a high protein diet ~200g per day).

Also kai, your pictures speak for themselves and are a true testament to what you've achieved, but some of that nutritional advice is a little off. It's not going to hinder progress, it's just overcomplicating what is quite a simple process. For example, eating more regularly will do nothing for your metabolism. So trying to fit snacks just isn't needed. On the contrary, periods of extended fasting (i.e. not snacking) have been shown to improve one's body composition (i.e. reduce bodyfat while maintaining muscle mass). Hell, just take a look at what people have achieved using intermittent fasting!

The next point kind of follows, the thinking that your body will be deprived of food while sleeping is well.. invalid, for lack of a better word. Food takes hours and hours to digest--even longer when we're asleep--so whatever you eat during the day, your body will be reaping the nutritional benefits right through the night; there's no benefit for a meal right before bedtime. In fact again, quite the contrary as a lot of people advise (especially a lot of IFers, although I guess it comes with the territory) fasting for a few hours prior to sleeping. In cases where I work out late I might have a 40g protein shake after or something which is quite close to bed time, this is unavoidable though. The most important thing is to abstain from carbohydrates completely at this point as an insulin spike here is much more detrimental.

Soldato
OP
The above looks a big improvement - but personally i still would change quite a few items on the "menu"

Breakfast: I would stick to something like Oat's / Porridge, add honey or even cinnamon to add a bit of extra taste.
Get some snack on the go: keep that metabolism high - i keep saying Almonds, i swear by these.

Lunch: Ham i guess is fine for a bit of change, but stick to things like Tuna, white fish, chicken, salmon, turkey, and steak - plenty of choice and some brown rice and broccoli - cook everything nightmare, 2 days advance and just reheat

Dinner: drop the roast potatoes and do roast Yams (sweet potato) any time you want potato replace with these! - treat like any potato, roast, mash, make chips even take just as good.

Bed Time: i would have something again even if its something small your body is going to be deprived of food for a long time while you sleep - i like a slow release protein shake and a spoon of peanut butter in there

*best personal advice i can give you is prepare you meals in advance and TUPERWARE is your best friend.

Thanks again, really appreciate your advice. I'll be trying sweet potatoes when I get my hands on some as I've actually never tried them before. As for breakfast I did used to have porridge oats with honey and banana, but would that be too high in sugar?

Try making a shake out of water (or milk if you want it heavy), skimmed milk powder, almond flour, porridge oats and raisins. No need for sugar, and you'll be full for hours. :)

Haha I hope it tastes better than how I imagine it to look like. :D Will give it a try though, thanks. :)

Soldato
OP
Right just got back from an hour and a half at the gym, which was pleasantly surprising as usually I feel worn out after an hour so something is working. :) Only issue is however I feel I'm losing a lot of weight around my shoulders but still have flab around the gut and especially the thighs. I read you can't decide where the fat burns off (feel free to correct me there) but the top quarter looks pretty good then the rest looks like Rick Waller (not literally that big but to paint a picture, lol). Tips?

Man of Honour
Thanks again, really appreciate your advice. I'll be trying sweet potatoes when I get my hands on some as I've actually never tried them before. As for breakfast I did used to have porridge oats with honey and banana, but would that be too high in sugar?

Sweet potatoes are awesome - quite different to regular spuds (obviously), but fantastic nonetheless.

Regarding the porridge, it's all relative: If you're having honey with a bit of porridge, then yes, that's too much sugar. If it's a small teaspoon in a bucket of porridge, then no, it's not. In an average bowlful of proper porridge (not that ReadyBrek gunge), a rounded teaspoon of honey is almost too much for me (too sweet). Banana is good as it's slightly more complex than honey, and always a better choice from a dietary perspective.

Haha I hope it tastes better than how I imagine it to look like. :D Will give it a try though, thanks. :)

Trust me, it's not hard. :D Seriously, however, it's nowhere as sweet as that MaxiMuscle stuff, but it tastes goooooooooooood.

Back
Top Bottom