• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GTX680 to arrive at the end of February!

Man of Honour
How did you calculate that when the 7970 is only 20% faster than the 512 shader GTX580? Even without any optimisations (which there most probably will be) a 768 shader GTX580 double should easily beat the 7970.

On the basis that the 7970 has approx 30% more shaders than the 6970, and that the GTX680/780 may have 50% more than the GTX580, and that the GTX580 was ~15% faster than the 6970 to start with, what do you really think will be fastest?

Oh it _should_ beat it but it won't be by any spectacular amount. That said there is a whole lot of rumor atm and very little solid information even from somewhat reliable sources. (From which I was told the top tier part for the first Kepler release (not flagship) was penciled for +60% shaders +20% clockspeed on the GTX480 - which would have put it at 768SP (or equivalent to a 768SP Fermi not sure which but rumours support 768SP) and 840MHz).

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Is this nv's mid range card? as i heard there top end was 780GTX with 1028 shaders 1ghz+ core clock 3gb vram 512bit or am i dreaming ?

No idea atm what the specs are on their flagship card but everything seems to indicate this will be the top model for their mid-range lineup in the general Kepler series.

600 series tho seems to be designated for Fermi optical shrinks so if it actually is a "680" then it may be just a 28nm Fermi :confused:

Soldato
No idea atm what the specs are on their flagship card but everything seems to indicate this will be the top model for their mid-range lineup in the general Kepler series.

600 series tho seems to be designated for Fermi optical shrinks so if it actually is a "680" then it may be just a 28nm Fermi :confused:

So when would keplar roll out :confused:

Man of Honour
Well... 600 series seems to have been designated for Fermi shrinks tho thats not 100% confirmed. So either someone has their information mixed up, or we aren't getting the Kepler cards people are waiting for no idea which.

Soldato
All sounds very hit and miss wouldnt suprise me if the 6XX series is mid range die shrink fermi then a couple of month later they roll out full keplar 7XX series

Caporegime
can people not use a little common sense, a 680gtx, a 780gtx, a mustang 28, or a keplersuperdupafasterthan 7970.

The NAME is irrelevant, when people say 780gtx, or 680gtx, or BIG kepler, they are all referring to the same damn thing. The faster single core Nvidia gpu from the next gen.

It also wouldn't matter if a midrange is a fermi shrink, a fermi on 28nm with a lot more shaders, or a kepler on 28nm with more shaders.

We don't know the specs, or the performance, its guesswork, the names are for want of a better word(or maybe its spot on, I dunno) a place holder for the card we are all talking about.

Some generations AMD/nvidia rebrand old gen stuff with new gen names, sometimes they shrink old gen stuff on a new process and give it a new gen name then decide its unfair to call their "real" new gen that name and jump forward another step. AMD and Nvidia have both done every combination of every type of name change there is so predicting the final names based of almost certain low end 28nm parts being called 600 series is daft.

You could have 28nm low end 600 parts, and still have the high end new gen be 680gtx, you could have fermi 40nm low end 600 parts, and still have the high end Keplers be 680gtx. Guessing won't change the fact that the fastest biggest core will be the fastest biggest core, no matter how fast or what architecture it is, and same goes for the middle core.

Meh, I'm high(not fun, pain medication :( ) and I've seen probably 50 posts on "but but, I thought it was a 780/680/999999gtx/potatocakefishcard, it's peeing me off.

Soldato
It could just be Nvidea is rushing out a 28nm variant of existing technology while they finish off the Keplar range. Would allow them to compete with the 79x0 cards, thus retain market share etc. Could be quite likely if it really is an April eta.

Personally whatever it is, I would love to see a card dropped on us that will lower the price of competing tech and last gen cards.

Associate
can people not use a little common sense, a 680gtx, a 780gtx, a mustang 28, or a keplersuperdupafasterthan 7970.

The NAME is irrelevant, when people say 780gtx, or 680gtx, or BIG kepler, they are all referring to the same damn thing. The faster single core Nvidia gpu from the next gen.

It also wouldn't matter if a midrange is a fermi shrink, a fermi on 28nm with a lot more shaders, or a kepler on 28nm with more shaders.

We don't know the specs, or the performance, its guesswork, the names are for want of a better word(or maybe its spot on, I dunno) a place holder for the card we are all talking about.

Some generations AMD/nvidia rebrand old gen stuff with new gen names, sometimes they shrink old gen stuff on a new process and give it a new gen name then decide its unfair to call their "real" new gen that name and jump forward another step. AMD and Nvidia have both done every combination of every type of name change there is so predicting the final names based of almost certain low end 28nm parts being called 600 series is daft.

You could have 28nm low end 600 parts, and still have the high end new gen be 680gtx, you could have fermi 40nm low end 600 parts, and still have the high end Keplers be 680gtx. Guessing won't change the fact that the fastest biggest core will be the fastest biggest core, no matter how fast or what architecture it is, and same goes for the middle core.

Meh, I'm high(not fun, pain medication :( ) and I've seen probably 50 posts on "but but, I thought it was a 780/680/999999gtx/potatocakefishcard, it's peeing me off.

wtb potatocakefishcard plz

Associate

Meh, I'm high(not fun, pain medication ) and I've seen probably 50 posts on "but but, I thought it was a 780/680/999999gtx/potatocakefishcard, it's peeing me off.

This is one of those rare instances where I agree with Drunkenmaster. Take 'GTX 680' or 'GTX 780' as a metaphor for the 'Kepler GTX 580'. Arguing over the name is the very definition of arguing over semantics.

Soldato
This is one of those rare instances where I agree with Drunkenmaster. Take 'GTX 680' or 'GTX 780' as a metaphor for the 'Kepler GTX 580'. Arguing over the name is the very definition of arguing over semantics.

Its just we have news about the 680 which by specs is not the full 'bread and butter' which has been confirmed as the 7XX series,

Which leaves us to think the 6XX series will be die shurnk fermi and the 7XX will be the new keplar architechture

Associate
I doubt that's going to happen. But even if it does, a 270 odd mm^2 GTX 580 (on a 28nm process) wouldn't be a bad thing.
But I bet NVIDIA will just release kepler when it's ready and all these rumours are going to die.

Associate
Today I've read one article claiming a 680GTX will arrive in February, another that new parts from NVIDIA won't be here until April.

My conclusion: no-one has a cogent clue when NVIDIA will be releasing either Kepler or a Fermi die-shrink and the dates are just smoke on the wind. And whilst everyone debates, AMD has the fastest single-GPU card *now*.

Back
Top Bottom