• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GTX680 to arrive at the end of February!

Soldato
As I said in another thread, I've never seen over 1.8gb on my 7970 in bf3/64 player servers :confused:

7970 definitely isn't overkill though at that res, however the vram is a bit. I can't max everything out and maintain +40fps in all instances on a B2K/64 player server @1080p (particularly gulf of oman).

I agree that Nvidia need a 3gb flagship card minimum to stay in the high res game though, that much is clear otherwise it'll be AMD all the way.

they will have a 4 gb but i bet the standard 2gb card will be say £450-£500 by the time they knock the 7970 of the crown and have came down in price so will leave way for aa wallet destroying price on the 4gb version :o

Associate
can people not use a little common sense, a 680gtx, a 780gtx, a mustang 28, or a keplersuperdupafasterthan 7970.

The NAME is irrelevant, when people say 780gtx, or 680gtx, or BIG kepler, they are all referring to the same damn thing. The faster single core Nvidia gpu from the next gen.

It also wouldn't matter if a midrange is a fermi shrink, a fermi on 28nm with a lot more shaders, or a kepler on 28nm with more shaders.

We don't know the specs, or the performance, its guesswork, the names are for want of a better word(or maybe its spot on, I dunno) a place holder for the card we are all talking about.

Some generations AMD/nvidia rebrand old gen stuff with new gen names, sometimes they shrink old gen stuff on a new process and give it a new gen name then decide its unfair to call their "real" new gen that name and jump forward another step. AMD and Nvidia have both done every combination of every type of name change there is so predicting the final names based of almost certain low end 28nm parts being called 600 series is daft.

You could have 28nm low end 600 parts, and still have the high end new gen be 680gtx, you could have fermi 40nm low end 600 parts, and still have the high end Keplers be 680gtx. Guessing won't change the fact that the fastest biggest core will be the fastest biggest core, no matter how fast or what architecture it is, and same goes for the middle core.

Meh, I'm high(not fun, pain medication :( ) and I've seen probably 50 posts on "but but, I thought it was a 780/680/999999gtx/potatocakefishcard, it's peeing me off.

Informative as usual. ;)

Soldato
they will have a 4 gb but i bet the standard 2gb card will be say £450-£500 by the time they knock the 7970 of the crown and have came down in price so will leave way for aa wallet destroying price on the 4gb version :o

Yep the prices are getting quite scary. I wonder what'll happen pricewise when the dual cards and asus mars edition start appearing :D

Soldato
by the time they knock the 7970 of the crown

*If*

I'm sure Nvidia would rather of released earlier (like now) rather than later, and they've definitely missed the boat on the 7970.

I think their R&D got a 7970 to test and realised what they had couldn't even match it, hence the derping at CES and the vagueness about dates.

Soldato
*If*

I'm sure Nvidia would rather of released earlier (like now) rather than later, and they've definitely missed the boat on the 7970.

I think their R&D got a 7970 to test and realised what they had couldn't even match it, hence the derping at CES and the vagueness about dates.

Nv has and alwasy will have the fastest single gpu by any means regardless of heat, noise, price its what they do best...and if they didnt i think EVGA would drop them

What ATI do best is value and efficiency which is a little lacking in the 1st part but when nv do release there all singing card They will be worth there money and thats when i move to crossfire

Soldato
Yep the prices are getting quite scary. I wonder what'll happen pricewise when the dual cards and asus mars edition start appearing :D

These might not be so much off a bad thing like 6990 it was actually cheaper to buy one off them then 2 6970's

Same with teh 590 you can buy 2x 1.5gb 590's minimum off this site would be £700 where as a 590 is on speicial offer for 575 saving £125

Soldato
Nv has and alwasy will have the fastest single gpu by any means

Well since the 9th they haven't, and there's no sign of it yet, and if it's going to be 2gb as rumoured then it won't be, and they still own't have a faster gpu. Educated folks buy gpu's based on benchmarks, hence their importance, and tbh, 2gb in most stressful benchmarks, especially the 2560x1440 res benches isn't enough.

The 7970 has wiped the floor with the 580 and still has enough in reserve to beat a 590 when overclocked - This is what worries Nvidia.

Soldato
yer but NV are still to pull there cards as ATI have managed to get 100% improvment on there previous gen even if NV mange a 75% increse over ther 580's they should still take the performance crown which shouldnt be to hard looking at the purposed specs

Mobster
Soldato
All these comparisons of current gen cards to previous gen. I take it, it will be ok for people to leave posts when Kepler comes out and compare to a 6970 ?

Soldato
You say previous gen, I say current Nvidia lineup.

No firm release date or specs as yet, tick tock tick

I just class this as the start of the 28nm gen.

And its a pain would be nice to know what they are bringing to the table so i know where to 'splash the cash' but seeing as it possibly wont be for a 3 to maybe 6 months till they bring out there full blooded keplar, i am going to go with my 1st proper ATI card

Last edited:
Soldato
I just class this as the start of the 28nm gen.

And its a pain would be nice to know what they are bringing to the table so i know where to splash the cash but seeing as it possible wont be for a 3 to maybe 6 months i going to go with my 1st proper ATI card

It's the vagueness from Nvidia that concerns me. I was inline for an upgrade, was considering 580 3gb, but then the 7970 blew it out of the water for me, and the lack of info about Kepler was the nail in the coffin, so went down the 7970 route - Tbh, with so much headroom with overclocking, the 7970's are beast. The only problem is the ridiculous price :mad:

You can't have a proper comparison until Nvidia release their top end 28nm part.

Date? 6th of Never?

Soldato
It's the vagueness from Nvidia that concerns me. I was inline for an upgrade, was considering 580 3gb, but then the 7970 blew it out of the water for me, and the lack of info about Kepler was the nail in the coffin, so went down the 7970 route - Tbh, with so much headroom with overclocking, the 7970's are beast. The only problem is the ridiculous price :mad:

Date? 6th of Never?

I am in the same boat wanted an upgrade normally a NV man but there is nothing on there front

I didnt want to throw £500 at old tech really at least with the 7970 i have a good upgrade path even if crossfire is tempremental but a 7970 should have enough power for most games at my res with out crossfire

Soldato
Date? 6th of Never?

Christ give them a chance, AMD only released the 7970 last week :p

I'm in no particular rush to upgrade atm anyway, and I'm sure there's plenty of others that are in the same boat as me.

You've also got to take into consideration that most people don't need to spend the best part of 500 quid on a video card, unless they're gaming at 1440/1600p or running an eyefinity/nv surround setup.

If you're running something like a 6950/70 or 570/580 @ 1080/1200p resolutions you can afford to wait and see what Nvidia brings to the table :)

Soldato
You've also got to take into consideration that most people don't need to spend the best part of 500 quid on a video card, unless they're gaming at 1440/1600p or running an eyefinity/nv surround setup.

If you're running something like a 6950/70 or 570/580 @ 1080/1200p resolutions you can afford to wait and see what Nvidia brings to the table :)

this the only reason iam upgrading due to res other wise i would be happy at 1080 but i dont fancy seding my monitor back as it just way to nice over 1080 :(

Back
Top Bottom