• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Did NVIDIA Originally Intend to Call GTX 680 as GTX 670 Ti?

Soldato
Those results are all over the place.

They may be. But, at the end of the day they came from the same test bed, running the same OS and running both cards overclocked.

Tom is one of only two who has done this fairly.

It's amazing how many sites have compared the two out of the box when the 680 is clearly cheating. Maybe not technically cheating, but at the end of the day IT IS overclocking itself in order to gain higher numbers.

Do the same to a 7970? whole different story.

680 is faster my eye. Just like rumours (ones we had posted HERE) there is absolutely nothing in it.

Caporegime
They may be. But, at the end of the day they came from the same test bed, running the same OS and running both cards overclocked.

It's amazing how many sites have compared the two out of the box when the 680 is clearly cheating. Maybe not technically cheating, but at the end of the day IT IS overclocking itself in order to gain higher numbers.

680 is faster my eye. Just like rumours (ones we had posted HERE) there is absolutely nothing in it.

And they're completely all over the place, have a look at the cards and the results etc.

I couldn't care less about how close the GTX680 and 7970 OC'ed are, it's obvious they're close.

Stop trying to throw it down everyone.

Soldato

** Less of the personal insults, you should know better *** You're making these discussions less interesting than apple fan boy threads. If you hadn't noticed these threads are about the GTX 680 not how much you love your 7970.

I'm glad you are happy bro I really am but man get a life.

Soldato
I too could grab some benches that suit me. Also I shant accuse you of anything, as thats your view but please refrain from berating me.

Greg. If I posted ONE cherry picked score? fair enough.

Of all the tests on OC3D's review and benchmarks the 7970 when overclocked won most of them. A good 70%.

Am I saying the 7970 is faster? no. Quite simply as in other tests the 680 wins.

To sit there and say one card is faster than the other you really need to be 100% certain. IE - the 7970 is faster than the 580, quite simply because it is faster in EVERY SINGLE LAST TEST. Well, apart from folding, but that isn't important as the 580 is still readily available for that.

Just save yourself from looking silly and cut that "680 is faster" mentality out. It absolutely is not.

Caporegime
lol @ clearly cheating. Tom says, so must be true and all the other bench tests on other sites are fake.

Edit:

Today you dissapointed me because you seem to have made it a personal quest to deter anybody from buying a 680. Why you have done this is beyond me because sometimes you come out with decent posts. Why have you made it personal bud?

Last edited:
Caporegime
Greg. If I posted ONE cherry picked score? fair enough.

Of all the tests on OC3D's review and benchmarks the 7970 when overclocked won most of them. A good 70%.

Am I saying the 7970 is faster? no. Quite simply as in other tests the 680 wins.

To sit there and say one card is faster than the other you really need to be 100% certain. IE - the 7970 is faster than the 580, quite simply because it is faster in EVERY SINGLE LAST TEST. Well, apart from folding, but that isn't important as the 580 is still readily available for that.

Just save yourself from looking silly and cut that "680 is faster" mentality out. It absolutely is not.

Both cards, out of box testing, the GTX680 is faster.
The OC'ing is a different story as it's not a given, and I don't care if the GTX680 auto OC's itself, I'm sure you wouldn't care if your 7970 did the same.
My 7950 at 1125MHZ probably doesn't do too badly against a maxed out GTX680.

Will be fun to compare.

Soldato
Both cards, out of box testing, the GTX680 is faster.
The OC'ing is a different story as it's not a given, and I don't care if the GTX680 auto OC's itself, I'm sure you wouldn't care if your 7970 did the same.

Eh?

I find it incredible how overnight people's entire philosophies on computer parts has changed.

If you don't care that the 680 is overclocking itself then you won't care that the 7970 that beat it in those tests was overclocked also.

Don
Eh?

I find it incredible how overnight people's entire philosophies on computer parts has changed.

If you don't care that the 680 is overclocking itself then you won't care that the 7970 that beat it in those tests was overclocked also.

What overclock could you 100% promise people they can achieve on a 7970?

Soldato
Yes just like the i5 2500K. They shouldn't use Turbo Boost, or whatever it's called. Really?

Yes take OCing into account, but this is a different matter and counts as stock IMO - why? because it's how it works out of the box.

Its nothing to do with whether it shouldn't be used and out of the box still makes no difference, the only thing that matters is the acknowledgement that is needed is that it is overclocked and not at stock, auto or not.
I remember when there were some NV cards that would auto overclock when in a NV sli mobo years ago but not on other mobos.

Last edited:
Soldato
Putting an overclocked product up against a non overclocked product is cheating.

Totally cheating.

but it isn't?

the product at stock is the product at stock stop making this such a mission and chill out. no one is saying you wasted your money or you have a bad card we all know you don't but i don't understand why you're so uptight about something that is unequivocally stupid.

The card was designed to handle the boost mode. The boost mode allows it to operate inside a better TDP making it a selling point.

Man of Honour

I've looked at a slew of benchmark results today and the overall story seems to be that the 680 is ~15% faster on average so I'd say its the faster card.

Caporegime
Eh?

I have no idea what you're saying.
Out of box the GTX680 is faster, blame AMD for not clocking their card higher (Which I wish they had, we might have had a decent GTX680 :p)
My philosophy hasn't changed at all, I can quite clearly see, when both cards are maxed out, they're neck and neck.

Associate
Putting an overclocked product up against a non overclocked product is cheating.

Totally cheating.

+1

I for one would like to make an informed choice before committing my hard earned! Everyone knows the 7970 overclocks, I want to see reviews comparing this to the 680 which overclocks automatically to "win", how is that fair?

Man of Honour
Are people really getting their knickers in a twist over the built in clock boosting feature? thats a completely standard part of the way the card operates?

Soldato
+1

I for one would like to make an informed choice before committing my hard earned! Everyone knows the 7970 overclocks, I want to see reviews comparing this to the 680 which overclocks automatically to "win", how is that fair?

lifes not fair technology advances Intel use speed step nvidia have followed suit.

To me it's quite clever why you see it as winning or losing is beyhond me.

would be suprised if AMD/ATI don't follow suit.

Back
Top Bottom