4TB ?

Associate
just a random thread here but how can people want 4 and 5 TB hard drives i can t even get close to filling 2TB its understandable is there into music as i can fill 1TB just from music alone

Soldato
The 191 films I have on my HD take up about 400GB... If I had them as Blu-ray rather than DVD it'd be 5TB of space required...

kd

:confused:

Your average 720p Blu-Ray film can be around 4-8GB ripped, which would take up 1528GB of data which is just over 1.5TB.

But as stulid said, it can all add up. People have 720p/1080p films, tv shows, videos, music, applications etc.

Associate
Yeah im still using a 500GB and im constantly deleting things (nothing important mind) but as soon as hard drive prices come down i know id be able to fill a 4TB soon enough.
Id be using 1080p rips atleast 8gb a time - Games are normally 15GB now it soon mounts up

Soldato
:confused:

Your average 720p Blu-Ray film can be around 4-8GB ripped, which would take up 1528GB of data which is just over 1.5TB.

But as stulid said, it can all add up. People have 720p/1080p films, tv shows, videos, music, applications etc.

Tend to try and get 1080p films as well if possible. xD

Also, but handbrake doesn't seem to like compressing the sound for my blu-rays... It always ends up horribly juddery. Can't work out if it's an issue with the blu ray burner or handbrake, but either way i can't compress my blu rays. Have no issue with DVDs mind...

kd

Soldato
I used to have 9 IKEA Beno DVD towers full of DVD's - close to 850 titles (just under 1000 DVDs)
I bought 2x 500 DVD flight case type of things from a high street electronics store (£20 on special offer when they are normally £50 a pop)
Spent close to 2 years ripping each one to a 12TB storage server and popping them into the cases and now they live in the loft, I can access all my DVD's from either HTPC and I dont have a massive wall of DVDs!

Soldato
Also, but handbrake doesn't seem to like compressing the sound for my blu-rays... It always ends up horribly juddery.

Think thats handbrake As I found that when trying to compress them for tablet use.

I'm upto 10TB of space used. :( Just ordered another drive.
HD tv shows just make you cry, they're around 5GB an episode.
30GB for decent Blu-rays. The "remakes" (upscaled old films) are around 18GB.

Soldato
Tend to try and get 1080p films as well if possible. xD

Also, but handbrake doesn't seem to like compressing the sound for my blu-rays... It always ends up horribly juddery. Can't work out if it's an issue with the blu ray burner or handbrake, but either way i can't compress my blu rays. Have no issue with DVDs mind...

kd

1080p movies usually come in at around 10GB maybe slightly more - Even then it's just around 2TB. You should find a good blu ray ripper :)

Think thats handbrake As I found that when trying to compress them for tablet use.

I'm upto 10TB of space used. :( Just ordered another drive.
HD tv shows just make you cry, they're around 5GB an episode.
30GB for decent Blu-rays. The "remakes" (upscaled old films) are around 18GB.

Whoa!! You're wasting money! You need to rip your Blu rays properly and save yourself a bundle :eek:

Associate
Off topic but.....

Take your mkv rip and pass it through Handbrake to compress the video track only (deselect the audio track) and when complete use mkvtoolnix to merge your newly created video file with the HD audio off the original rip.

I am doing this with my BD rips at the minute and am taking most 30gb titles to around 12-14gb with no loss of quality at all (on a 60 inch Pioneer which shows everything up warts and all!). You can select how much compression you want to apply to the video track in HB, you could get it lower than the numbers I quote, but quality will suffer I'm sure.

You'll save a fortune on HDD's....

Last edited:
Soldato
I just rip the Video and normally the DTS-HD and DTS 3/2+1 audio.

Any advise on doing it properly?

Depends how you define "properly".

People with decent home cinema setups (for example) tend to want to go for quality rather than size, so those rips (usually remuxes with HD audio intact), tend to be around 25-40 GB in size.

Back
Top Bottom