F18 crashes into homes.

Soldato
Geez it looks like a scene out of COD Modern Warfare.

Amazingly no reports of any casualities..

d2e54737c56f11090c0f6a706700ea46.jpg

http://news.yahoo.com/photos/navy-jet-crashes-in-virginia-slideshow/navy-jet-photo-1333736001.html

Soldato
Pilot had some serious nads on him, apparently he struggled to keep it airborne whilst he dumped the fuel before both he and his RIO ejected.

Ermm so he sat dumping fuel but didn't steer to avoid the civilian population?
Isn't there a big fat lake beside where they hit he could have dumped it fuel or not?

Amazing no one was hurt, guess they were all out at the time.

Permabanned
Isn't there a big fat lake beside where they hit he could have dumped it fuel or not?

Amazing no one was hurt, guess they were all out at the time.

Terrible landing tbh, good effort but poorly executed.

Always nice to hear the expert opinion of professional pilots.

Last edited:
Soldato
Seems the first words from the pilot was " sorry for hitting your appartment block" im sure he tried all things possible to avoid hitting buildings, i guess he had limited options or control in the time he had. Luckily it seems a disaster was avoided.

Soldato

According to the Telegraph:

One pilot was found by residents still strapped into his ejector seat, suggesting that he remained at the controls of the F-18 until the last possible moment before bailing out. The crew are believed to have been trying to reach the ocean and avoid crashing into a populated area, in line with US military training.

Although I don't understand the how the fact he was still strapped in suggests he remained at the controls.

Soldato
Although I don't understand the how the fact he was still strapped in suggests he remained at the controls.

Something to do with remaining strapped into your seat for the full descent if you eject below a certain height maybe? Not sure!

Unless even at high altitude you remain in your seat for the full descent :p

Back
Top Bottom