Netbook Hard Drive Warranty Question.

Soldato
Hi guys,

The drive on my netbook has recently died and although I asked in the place (purple-shirts) that I bought it from (in my head I already new what their answer would be from previous CS experience!) if it could be replaced under the drives warranty and not the netbook’s, I was simply told ‘no’. The netbook is 13 months old. The drive is a 2.5” WD Scorpio I think and it will have at least a 3 year warranty, possibly a 5? I haven’t looked it up yet

In the end I bit the bullet and just bought a new drive myself but my question is, now that the dead drive is out of the netbook can I begin an RMA myself? What do I need to do? And if this is possible, what are WD like? I’ve only ever done an RMA for Samsung drives in the past and SG were exceptional; had the new drive with me in less than 24 hours – before they’d even received the old one!

Thanks.

Soldato
Put the serial in the link below (you might need to change to the uk) and this should hopefully show the warranty status.

http://websupport.wdc.com/warranty/serialinput.asp

But being part of a OEM manufacturer they may of bought the drive with only one year warranty.

Most laptops/netbooks etc are pre-built overseas, which means the warranty on the drive probably isn't even valid in this country.

Theres no manufacturer warranty on the drive as far as the end user is concerned. It'll be OEM not retail and the laptop/netbook manufacturer will be the one to go to in the event of failure, they get huge discounts by not having a warranty with the drive manufacturer and sorting out their customers by their own.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom