Triumph Explorer 1200

Soldato
Looks interesting as you say. Obviously taken styling from the GS which isn't necessarily the worst thing in the world. I like it, but I'm just not keen on the triples. Granted I've only tried the 900 and 1050 versions, so the 1200 might be a different beast.
Having had form with upright traillies such as the Transalp, Africa twin and V-strom I'm a fan of the style of bike. I dare say it will be a few years before they drop into my price range, not that this prevents me from having a test ride....!

[edit] And I've just requested a test ride!

Last edited:
Soldato
I've sat on one but not ridden it yet. It's a pretty big beast but very comfy and with nice wide bars so I'm sure it'd be very nice to ride when your moving. It didn't feel intimidating at all (I'm 6ft and 12 stone).

I'm going to try and test ride the smaller 800 roady tiger and the older 1050 to see what they are like as my f800 is a bit boring :D

Associate
You don't like the triples Luke?

I cant get enough of them. I owned a Tiger 1050 for 3 years before some bugger drove over the thing in a bike bay. Best bike I have ever owned.

Ridden the 675 triple in the Daytona on a loan bike - awesome bit of kit.

Now own a Speed 3 and it rocks. The triples have so much more character than the in line jap fours, they make some excellent noises (bang bang pop pop) and they give consistent linear power delivery.

The fuelling at low speed is a bit more hit and miss though to be fair, and they have a tenancy to knock a bit. I think the 675 triple is a better engine than the 1050 - the Daytona was silky smooth, and my '11 S3 is like butter compared to the Tiger, but as I say it gives these bike character, not like the sterile and often lucid feel of the large bore in line fours.

That said, like you I also have an affection for the V-Twins, but you cant beat the noise when you close the throttle bodies of a triple, its unique. :cool:

On Topic, the 1200 is a huge bike for sure, looking to test one soon myself. MCN seem to think its a better package than the BMW 1200GS, which to be fair can't be too hard as that boxer engine is a horrid thing...

Last edited:
Godfather
Godfather
OP
The GS is an excellent bike. It has been so successful because it will do everything pretty well. You can tour across Europe in comfort and still have fun scratching in the mountains. Many have tried to take its crown and all have failed.

I think the Explorer is the first serious competition to the GS. I don't think it will ever replace it but it should sell strongly alongside it. It's well specified and has that gorgeous big triple engine. Triples are very addictive and usually sound awesome. My first triple was a Kawasaki KH500 in 1980 and I still have a soft spot for them.

I'm going to try for a test ride this week. Will report back my findings.

Associate
Why do you say it is horrid:confused:

Oh, there's nothing wrong with the boxers really, my dislike stems purely for aesthetic reasons - cant stand the two dangly bits hanging out the side of most beemers, that and that the valves need tweaking during every service interval.

I have nothing against the GS, except that I would not buy one ;)

Soldato
You don't like the triples Luke?
I love the raw grunt of a big V-twin, I love the smooth screaming of a big I4.
Somehow the triple to me feels like it's lost between the two. certainly they have a nice usable power delivery, but there is just something that I find a bit, well, meh.
I'll have a ride of the new 1200 as it may be a different beast to the 955* and 1050 I've ridden.

*not the 900 as I had said before.

Associate
Oh, there's nothing wrong with the boxers really, my dislike stems purely for aesthetic reasons - cant stand the two dangly bits hanging out the side of most beemers, that and that the valves need tweaking during every service interval.

I have nothing against the GS, except that I would not buy one ;)

The newer quad cam engines only need valve checks every 6k. Valve check/adjustment on the boxer is a quick easy job.

Soldato
My impression from reading MCN review is that it's a good match, but I think the reason they say it's a GS beater so they are able to print some 'new' news. I've only ridden the 1200 adventure though so that's just my take, will be good to see what you think after your ride out.

Associate
Thought you were getting a Multistrada 1200 ??

Seeing as I dont want to copy Charlie/Ewen and dont really rate the BMW, I picked one up for long distance touring and I love it.

Lots of power and knee scraping fun, the electronic suspension is brilliant :D;)

Soldato
Our company is an official partner of Triumph as part of that we have a lot of contact and inside info with the dealer network and the main gist from all the dealers is that this bike is very special indeed!

might have something to do with them taking all the dealership owners to Malaga to test it though :D

Last edited:
Godfather
Godfather
OP
Had a test ride today. I'm genuinely surprised at how good this bike is. Suspension is firm but subtle, engine pulls like a train from nothing and its weight disappears when on the move making it feel light and responsive. There was also loads of room for my 6ft7in frame.

Conclusion? ORDERED :D

Associate
Had a test ride today. I'm genuinely surprised at how good this bike is. Suspension is firm but subtle, engine pulls like a train from nothing and its weight disappears when on the move making it feel light and responsive. There was also loads of room for my 6ft7in frame.

Conclusion? ORDERED :D

Nice one. :)

Godfather
Godfather
OP
Graphite grey. Heated grips, taller screen, tyre pressure monitoring system. Everything is dealer fit so can be added at anytime.

Back
Top Bottom