• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

8 pin slot on motherboard

Associate
Hello

My new motherboard (asrock extreme3 990fx) has an 8 pin cpu connector but my psu only has a single 4 pin what difference will it make if I use single 4 pin instead of 8 on an fx8120 chip

Soldato
Not up to scratch on AMD, but being an 8 core cpu i'd say it would be rather power hungry, 4 pin might be ok for lower models but i'd personally either get another psu or a 4to 8 pin adaptor (though this is not ideal). I could be well wrong i fully admit as i know literally next to nothing about AMDs in the last few years as i rarely build them and its all budget stock rigs when i do.

Soldato
For that CPU I think you'll need an 8 pin.

I've ran an Athlon II X2 240 from a 4 pin in a motherboard with an 8 pin EPS socket but for a power hungry processor such as the FX-8120 I doubt it'd supply enough juice, especially if overclocked.

What PSU do you have?

You can get extension leads and even molex to 8-pin EPS adapters.

Soldato
:confused:

With PSU's you get what you pay for. The G7 and generally all of CIT's PSUs are cheap, unbranded, generic turd.

You've got some expensive quality components there, I wouldn't risk it!

Spend £50-60 on a quality psu and it will probably outlast all of those components!

Well said, don't settle for less than 80+.

Great PSU's can easily be had for £50.

Associate
OP
:confused:

With PSU's you get what you pay for. The G7 and generally all of CIT's PSUs are cheap, unbranded, generic turd.

You've got some expensive quality components there, I wouldn't risk it!

Spend £50-60 on a quality psu and it will probably outlast all of those components!

I just can't see why I should pay extra for the same product?

RJC

RJC

Don
Your not really, the better quality PSU'S have the circuitry to stop any surges going through your components plus they will be able to maintain their output without issues and maintain stable voltages.

There have been threads were people have ignored our advice and the PSU has gone bang or they get shutdowns and stability issues.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Your not really, the better quality PSU'S have the circuitry to stop any surges going through your components plus they will be able to maintain their output without issues and maintain stable voltages.

There have been threads were people have ignored our advice and the PSU has gone bang or they get shutdowns and stability issues.

That's probably true but I haven't had any problems with the g7 for past 2 years and I've not seen a negative experience of cit psu's do far

Soldato
That's probably true but I haven't had any problems with the g7 for past 2 years and I've not seen a negative experience of cit psu's do far

Just because you haven't had any problems does NOT mean the PSUs are good.

Voltage stability under high loads is something you simply do NOT get with cheap **** PSUs.

I've had a PSU blow taking with it *everything*. Luckily, it was cheap hardware but I always buy 80 plus Bronze or higher rated PSUs now.

Head the advice. Don't argue the toss. BUY A DECENT PSU.

Back
Top Bottom