• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

8 pin slot on motherboard

Soldato
Looks like a very old psu design at 20 + 20A for the 12v rail, on a 750w psu, not meant for modern hardware tbh. Another hidden killer is ripple, as you overload or push a design that can't cope, things may seem to work but the ripple can slowly kill components. I'd eat my shoe if those amperage ratings are accurate.

Soldato
Adding to the concensus, I wouldn't use a cheap PSU on a mid to high end PC like yours.

Budget PSUs are just about exceptable on cheap hardware under £150 IMO. Just expect a reasonable chance of failer and possible hardware damage.

A simple guild. IMO a PSU should make up at least 1/9th of the hardware costs of your PC. (There will be some instances where this won't apply, like lots of high cost lower power items like SSDs)

So add the value of you hardware (no software), divide by 8. If the PSU you are looking as is lower then it's probably not good enough unless it's an amazing bargain. :) Spending more is fine btw. :p

If this G7 is 20 A + 20 A on +12 V combined then it's really a 480 W PSU for use in a new PC. And pushing a cheap PSU to it's limit isn't recommended.

Associate
OP
Adding to the concensus, I wouldn't use a cheap PSU on a mid to high end PC like yours.

Budget PSUs are just about exceptable on cheap hardware under £150 IMO. Just expect a reasonable chance of failer and possible hardware damage.

A simple guild. IMO a PSU should make up at least 1/9th of the hardware costs of your PC. (There will be some instances where this won't apply, like lots of high cost lower power items like SSDs)

So add the value of you hardware (no software), divide by 8. If the PSU you are looking as is lower then it's probably not good enough unless it's an amazing bargain. :) Spending more is fine btw. :p

If this G7 is 20 A + 20 A on +12 V combined then it's really a 480 W PSU for use in a new PC. And pushing a cheap PSU to it's limit isn't recommended.

Thats all well and good except that all the expensive brand psu's that are any good are over £100 which is ridiculous considering that they are just boxes converting mains power

Caporegime
Thats all well and good except that all the expensive brand psu's that are any good are over £100 which is ridiculous considering that they are just boxes converting mains power

You're being given good advice by people with many years experience of PC building.

Is there any point you posting and asking for their advice only to ignore everything they've said to you?

You can get a good PSU that will run your PC for a fair bit less than £100.

If you'd like some recommendations then just ask.

Associate
OP
You're being given good advice by people with many years experience of PC building.

Is there any point you posting and asking for their advice only to ignore everything they've said to you?

You can get a good PSU that will run your PC for a fair bit less than £100.

If you'd like some recommendations then just ask.

Well actually I didn't want any psu advice I just asked 4 vs 8 pin and I thank those who answered

And sure go ahead tell me how many British pounds I have to give to one of the "good" brands in order to run an sli 560ti in the near future
Thanks

Caporegime
Well actually I didn't want any psu advice I just asked 4 vs 8 pin and I thank those who answered

To which the answer was don't do it which then led onto the fact that the 2 PSUs you have are pretty crappy and you shouldn't take the risk of using them.

And sure go ahead tell me how many British pounds I have to give to one of the "good" brands in order to run an sli 560ti in the near future

Will you be overclocking the CPU?

The power consumption of your processor can be very high when overclocked meaning you'll need a beefier PSU than if you'd gone with an Intel system.

Thanks

You'll need a good quality 550 or 600w for running sli with your cpu. Cost will be around £60.

It might sound like a lot for a boring box of wires..... but if you get a decent one it'll last longer than any other component in your pc. In a few years time your cpu and graphics cards will be old and slow, but a decent 600w psu will still be rocking, and more than happy to power your next set of components.

Soldato
Don't think so, its just that some people just don't get it and will argue a point till they are blue in the face even though they know they're wrong.

O.P. Future brands for your next purchase should be:

Powercool
Powerman
Blue Star
EchoStar
Deer
Codegen
Macron
Raidmax
Q-Tec
Leadman
Aerocool
Allied
Dynapower
Eagle
EagleTech

etc..

Those will lead you well and are nice box of wires that do a good job of reducing mains voltage (because thats all they do right?) for your motherboard.

Associate
with cheap psu's, the power output is normally nowhere even close to what the sticker on the casing says...
Just for test's, i once bought a 500w 22A per +12v rail, and tested it with a high power multimeter... this psu was brand new mind, so none of the aging can be taken into account.. I cannot accurately remember the results down to a T, this was some time ago, but i am in the ballpark of 15.2A per +12v, and the psu max loaded at 370w (ish) before it blew from over powering....

And like stated before, cheaper psu's, supply "dirty" power to your components, which will kill off your components faster than normally....
Get yourself a decent psu and be done with it...

Soldato
with cheap psu's, the power output is normally nowhere even close to what the sticker on the casing says...
Just for test's, i once bought a 500w 22A per +12v rail, and tested it with a high power multimeter... this psu was brand new mind, so none of the aging can be taken into account.. I cannot accurately remember the results down to a T, this was some time ago, but i am in the ballpark of 15.2A per +12v, and the psu max loaded at 370w (ish) before it blew from over powering....

And like stated before, cheaper psu's, supply "dirty" power to your components, which will kill off your components faster than normally....
Get yourself a decent psu and be done with it...

What did you load it with? and what high powered multimeter was used?

Associate
What did you load it with? and what high powered multimeter was used?

I loaded it with whatever i could, gently loading it each step so im not limiting it immediately... old IDE hard drives, fans, cd-rom drives, cathode lights, etc etc.... anything to slowly knock up the load on it..

I used my UT-801 bench meter to test it...

EDIT: forgot to mention i also used a plug in Meter, it shows how much Current is being drawn....
Excellent bit of kit those are :D

Last edited:
Soldato
He won't listen - let him carry on with his cheap nasty PSU - it's not our job to educate people who don't want to listen.

It'll either be fine in which case he will be delighted that he proved us 'seasoned' veterans wrong or it'll go pop and take half or more of his PC with it.

Then he'll make a post here and some clever soul will remember and link back this thread back to him.

Isn't that how it usually goes?

Associate
@OP,

Seriously, listen to these guys. I was debating purchasing a new PSU for my new build because I had been using a CIT for a while and it was spot on. That was until it burnt out and left a horrible stain on my 24pin slot on my motherboard due to it failing. I can take a photo of it when I get home from work if you don't believe me.

After that happened I decided I would definitely buy a new PSU with my new build instead of going cheap, now that I work it was an option after all. Anyways, I now use an XFX 650W 80+ Bronze, and it is spot on, no complaints whatsoever, it's quiet as anything and also it hasn't failed yet, not even once.

These guys know what they are doing, and don't take this the wrong way, but I can tell you are the kind of guy who will argue that he is right even though he knows that he is wrong. But seriously, upgrade your PSU and you won't be disappointed.

Associate
I once had an expensive Antec PSU blow up while doing nothing particularly strenuous. But in general, yes, a good PSU is important for stability and longevity.

Back
Top Bottom