AWD : Suitable for snowy, icy conditions?

Soldato
[TW]Fox;21664981 said:
No, stability control systems are VERY useful in icy conditions. Only turn them off for initial traction - then turn it back on again.

That makes sense, the VW manual for the polo says to turn something off (button on the dash). Its either ESP or traction control, but surely when things are a bit slippy, thats when you want them the most!

Soldato
AWD gives you a false sense of security in the snow. You can get going easy enough and have fun doing it, but have fun stopping from normal speeds!

If you have snow/winter tyres on an AWD car then great, but unlikely! I'd love to buy a set of old alloys with winter/snow tyres. But let's be honest, when it's that cold who wants to swap their wheels over, in the snow?! So a set of track tyres and normal road tyres suits me.

Soldato
Having decent tyres in winter conditions is probably more important than AWD. To be honest though your biggest concern should be all the other muppets on the road still driving like its summer.

Caporegime
4WD merely offers better traction management. If you have no traction, then you are managing nothing. If you only have a bit, then it will for the most part, handle it better than other drive layouts.

For 4WD to be an effective solution for snow and ice, it needs suitable tyres. My Evo knows its place in such conditions - on my drive.

It has AD08's on the front and 452's on the rear, so it is just a bit of a mess in snow. A very fun bit of a mess, but a mess nonetheless.

Coming from a 4WD owner - 4WD should come very low on your list of buying criteria in this country unless:

1. You live off road
  2. You specifically want a 4WD as a driving dynamic

Because if you do otherwise and unless you buy a spare set of wheels and appropriate tyres, you are just investing in:

• Higher drivetrain losses (and therefore poorer fuel economy, and lower usable power)
  • More to go wrong (More mechanical bits)
  • More weight (Mechanical bits weigh more)
  • Potential higher comparable servicing costs
  • Encourages lazy driving

To elaborate on the last point, and this may be just me, my driving has got a lot lazier since buying the Evo. It requires little skill to drive it quickly but rather more to drive it well. I trail brake, I lift off mid corner, I brake mid corner, and just generally point it wherever I want to go and put my foot down and it sorts the rest out.

This is fine as long as you drive what you drive, but this poor driving was really highlighted on the Porsche experience day I did. Some of the habits i've picked up are shocking.

My advice is stick with what you have or would usually buy and buy another set of wheels and winter tyres if you are really concerned.

+1

ASk on pistonheads, you might get more impartial, helpful advice :). Actually on second thoughts its almost as full of opinionated ******s as this place !!!!

Make sure the door doesn't hit you on the way out.

Man of Honour
We have more snow up here than most of you and i have a fwd Astra G with no traction control and normal (summer) tyres. I have never got stuck or had any close calls. When it snows you drive as per the conditions. Just because you get 4wd/awd does'nt mean that you won't have problems. I have seen loads of these type of cars stuck or spinning in the snow simply because most of the people that have them think they are invincible in them, don't know how to drive them or are just not driving as per the conditions allow.

Associate
It's been said many times but I'll repeat it - there is no need for an AWD vehicle.

If you want to avoid brown trouser moments get yourself 4x second hand wheels on ebay and some decent midrange winter tyres- the UK seems to start importing them now.

They will allow you to drive any vehicle in any conditions bar black ice and while they will lose grip if you are an idiot they completely transform a car when driving on snow/icy roads.

You can change them yourself every October/March and in the long run it's the same cost because you get to use 2 pairs of tyres. The only small inconvenience is storing them but you can chuck them anywhere really.

Another option is getting all season/cold weather tyres. Vredestein Quatrac's are good in snow (not high performance winter tyre level but decent) and can be used all year round because it's not stupidly hot during the summer here. The disadvantage is that they will perform worse than a high performance summer tyre.

Soldato
No need for a AWD. Maybe you have no need for it. But some of my drivers having one this year has saved a number of lives as we could get to areas we couldn't last year.

Associate
No need for a AWD. Maybe you have no need for it. But some of my drivers having one this year has saved a number of lives as we could get to areas we couldn't last year.

Bit of a sweeping statement don't you think? Many reasons why people wish to own a AWD car.

Apologies - I was assuming we all post on topic.:D
Should have been - "OP doesn't need an AWD vehicle".
He is free to get whatever he wants but his first priority should be winter tires.

Nothing wrong with owning an AWD car, they have their uses/strong points of course.

Back
Top Bottom