Poll: Accepting parcels for those pesky neighbours!

Do you accept parcel/goods for absent neighbours?

• Yes, of course I do. I'm a great neighbour

Votes: 203 91.0%
  • No I don't, I hide behind the letter box!

Votes: 20 9.0%

• Total voters
Associate
Death Star or Mount Doom, it depends on the day.
Untill recently I have been taking in my neighbours parcels. They come in all shapes and sizes, value unknown. I have a small child in the house under 2 who likes to pick up and throw everything. I have often wondered, what if I accidently left the parcel exposed to my little thug of joy! Who would take responsibility for dammaged goods?

In most cases we have to sign for other peoples goods to say that they have been delivered. Imagaine if you have just ordered £500 gcard to find the box to be chewed and slobbered on by you neighbours alsatian after they kindly took in your parcel! I doubt very much that they would replace it if there was any dammage. So why do we accept other people's goods, and why do delivery men think its the social norm to go knocking on everyone's house untill someone will take the parcel in?

Can we have a vote please mod?

Yes/No

Permabanned
Take parcel from delivery man and keep it in a safe area if you have dogs/kids. Would you like it if your neighbour took your delivery and left it on the floor to be kicked/thrown/chewed? No. Didn't think so. /thread.

Soldato
I often accept parcels for my neighbours, as do they for me. We all prefer that as it saves arranging a re-delivery or a collection from a depot.

If you don't like doing it then refuse to take it. You're not under any obligation to.

Man of Honour
I imagine it would be currier, unless they've had permission to offload it onto someone else.

I have no issues taking parcels and an very appreciative when neighbours do the same..

Soldato
Fine with me, they take mine and I take theirs. I dont think delivery men are ment to unless you tell them, so if they do and something gets broken, then it's their fault - Damaged in transit.

Soldato
With The What Now Keep my bits away from those little chavvies
batmanewaprhq1.jpg

Last edited:
Caporegime
My neighbours have accepted stuff for me - tbh its a bit embarrassing when they do, I certainly wouldn't mind it if they didn't (for all I know they have stopped doing it)

Soldato
My neighbours have accepted stuff for me - tbh its a bit embarrassing when they do, I certainly wouldn't mind it if they didn't (for all I know they have stopped doing it)

Hi Scorza, the DPD guy came today to deliver this massive plastic phallus, but you weren't in so we took delivery. I hope it fits!

Caporegime
It's really simple, if your child is some unruly beast, don't accept the package or you know put the package somewhere safe from a midget? We have cats and they do like boxes but mostly just sitting in open ones, if there was anything that looked fragile, breakable, anything then I'll stick it in a room, shut the door and keep the pets away from it. It really isn't rocket science, why do we do it, because we like it when neighbours do it for us. You want something delivered and a huge portion of the population works, the rest of the population most people go out, and do things and don't want to sit around all day waiting for a parcel.

Okay these days its a bit easier to plan deliveries, real time updates on when things are sent, when they'll be delivered and some companies sending you texts/e-mails to tell you the rough time of delivery. But we all started taking in things for neighbours in the days of mail order shipping, people sending care packages out of the blue, having no idea when something you ordered will show up.

I've taken in deliveries for others and had things I've ordered delivered to multiple different neighbours over 20 years, never received something broken from neighbours, nor given something broken to them.

Associate
I often accept parcels for my neighbours, as do they for me. We all prefer that as it saves arranging a re-delivery or a collection from a depot.

If you don't like doing it then refuse to take it. You're not under any obligation to.

This.

It's just a lot easier for everyone.

Soldato
I don't find keeping a parcel safe for a neighbour particularly challenging, if I did I wouldn't accept the parcel or leave my house unaccompanied.

Caporegime
i hate delivery men leaving parcels or packages with my neighbour as we never get carded and the neighbour wont go out of his way to make sure we get them

Soldato
In Taiwan they post parcels with mobile numbers of the recipient on it and senders number so courier can just ring said person for advice.

Why don't we do this would safe couriers a fortune on re delivery fees. Serious questions any obvious reasons I've missed?

Caporegime
In Taiwan they post parcels with mobile numbers of the recipient on it and senders number so courier can just ring said person for advice.

Why don't we do this would safe couriers a fortune on re delivery fees. Serious questions any obvious reasons I've missed?

some couriers hand them to the post office which is always nice

Back
Top Bottom