Returning laptop to somewher

B&W

B&W

Soldato
Hi, just bought a laptop from a the purple shirt brigade, ive opened it and used it for a couple of hours but ive realised that for the same prices I could have had a better laptop.

Is it possible to return it or give it back and pay the extra for a slightly better model?

The returns policy says that It needs to be unopened to have a full refund but I was wondering if I said to them ill pay the extra for a slightly higher spec laptop will they say yeah?

Last edited:
Soldato
*caugh* competitor, lets call them the guys with purple shirts

if u can pack it back up, then by all means chance it, i wouldnt tell them uv opend and used it.

just wing it.

Soldato
Did you buy it online or in-store?

If it is online then you can return it to them under DSR and get a full refund even if you opened the box and used it.

If you do get a refund then please bear in mind that the next generation Intel "Ivy Bridge" CPUs are being released at the end of the month - specifically new info says it will be 23rd (week and half away) and will include new laptop models from the main manufacturers on launch day.

Therefore you should be able to get a faster/more power efficient laptop for the same money, or a current-gen laptop for less.

Last edited:

B&W

B&W

Soldato
OP
In store, the black lenovo sticker is cut so looks like its been opened...

It's a AMD E-300, 6gb ram, 320gb hd. lenovo g575 for £300. Now were only going to use it for youtube and the like but for £25 cheaper could have a pentium dual core 6200 with 3gb ram and 320gb hdd. It has half the ram but the cpu is tens time better, I really never knew AMD sucked this bad.

It works fine for what we need it but checking the reviews..

Soldato
Yea, I think that's a good move - the P6200 is a sandy bridge design dual core - so miles faster than a AMD fusion.

As for RAM, it really is very cheap these days. You could replace the 1GB module with a 4GB module for ~£17 and that will get you up to 6GB.

B&W

B&W

Soldato
OP
Wonder if they'll take it back without checking hmmm. Doubt it, they had a i3 for £35 more I could try getting that of em but a full refund seems unlikely. On the plus side this keyboard is really nice.

Soldato
You could ask for a refund, but in store credit - that means you could come back in a couple of weeks time when the new Ivy Bridge laptops have launched and either pick one of them up - or go for sandy bridge i3 or i5 they have discounted into your price range to clear stock.

B&W

B&W

Soldato
OP
Cant wait a couple of weeks, I was thinking theres this face recognition thing on there and it doesnt seem to work.

Grounds for saying its not as described therefore defective?

Caporegime
Cant wait a couple of weeks, I was thinking theres this face recognition thing on there and it doesnt seem to work.

Grounds for saying its not as described therefore defective?

You will have to come up with some reason other than you've changed your mind:

If you change your mind and would like to return your product, we're happy to exchange or refund it as long as:

• The product is in its original unopened and sealed packaging
  • You return it within 21 days of date of purchase
  • You have proof of purchase (Original receipt, delivery note, bank statement)

Associate
Under DSR you can change your mind but the whole I've opened it and used proves to be problematic when it comes to hardware. Fair enough something like phone or braodband cause you can say it's you know what and that is hard to contend with but hardware is as is unless the spec differs from that advised.

If some feature was promised that doesnt come through then maybe but it's still fairly hard to get a refund. Store credit is easy enough and maybe wait a bit and then get a better model for same or similar price?

Caporegime
Under DSR you can change your mind but the whole I've opened it and used proves to be problematic when it comes to hardware.

The fact that you've opened and used an item isn't a problem when returning items using the DSR.

The problem in this case is that the OP bought in store so the DSR doesn't apply.

Soldato
You could update the sticky with the useful explanations in it, I responded about the DSR definition a while back, I'm guessing you didn't spot it.

Sorry, I must have missed your post. Here is what I have just added, does that seem OK?

Distance Selling Regulation; A law in the UK which protects customers who use internet based or mail order retailers and allows buyers to examine goods as they would in a shop. It entitles the customer to return an item for a full refund if the buyer notifies the retailer within 7 working days of the item being delivered. The retailer will refund the buyer with the full cost of the item plus the amount charged for the initial delivery - this must be done within thirty days of notification. The costs of returning the item to the retailer are the responsibility of the buyer (though the retailer may arrange for collection of the item from the buyer). Under DSR buyers are allowed to open and use the items and retailers can not charge buyers "restocking" or "repacking" fees - though buyers are required to "take reasonable care" of the items while in their possession, including packaging them so they will arrive un-damaged to the retailer.

Though to be clear, this doesn't apply in the OP's case - as he bought it from a shop.

Last edited:
Soldato
I think that's spot on Andi, and yep.. it doesn't apply to the OP. I don't know that he can do anything other than hope they'll give him a refund. Without trying to be harsh it is his fault, and you should do research before buying...

Soldato
Ah, good to hear.

Yea, I wouldn't go with a celeron dual core unless it is really great deal. The pentium dual core and i3 CPUs are worth the extra IMHO. Also, I would recommend you try and get one that uses core which is sandy bridge architecture (since it is more powerful per clock and more energy efficient).

It looks like the P6200 is 32nm (like sandy bridge) but is actually of arrandale (nahalem) design. I'm not saying don't get it, but be aware that it is a last-gen design (I was wrong earlier when I said it was sandy bridge).

If at all possible I would pay the extra for something like the "Asus X54H" which can be had for ~£350 with a sandy bridge i3, 4GB RAM and 500GB HDD (and for cheaper if you opt for a sandy bridge-type pentium like the B800).

Also, please bear in mind that it sounds like the Ivy Bridge release date has been pushed forward to the 23rd April - so if you can wait those 9 days, it may be worth your while.

Last edited:
Soldato
I was refused a refund when I tried to return the laptop I bought a few months ago. I was covered by the DSR as I bought online and still got knocked back.

I was then told by a lunatic at trading standards that I needed to return it online (obviously she was an idiot)

So... Lucky you for getting a refund when you weren't supposed to.

Soldato
Yea, B&W got a good outcome there, technically they weren't obligated to give him a cash refund, but they did - which is rather good of them.

As for your case, that is a bad situation - did you get it resolved in the end? The law seems pretty clear cut in terms of DSR. Was your issue that the retailer you were buying from had both an online and physical shop, and you bought it online and wanted to physically return it to the shop?

Back
Top Bottom