Thinking of taking up a martial art...

Permabanned
Yep that's the stuff i learned in the Marines :D.
Used to love it.
I was collared to help out cos my corporal saw me exercising on the mats sitting in splits. He asked what MA i did, and then used me as a stooge to show the other guys how to do the technique once he'd demo'd it on me......ouch!

I learned that and more, the demos are intentionally 'soft'.....18 years a Royal.:)

Soldato
I can't remember what it was a few friends of mine used to do, but it sounded something like samurai aikibijistu - I saw them in situations where they had to retaliate a few times on a Saturday night over the course of a few years (after some pleb decided to start on them) and it was over in a flash. It sounds like something that isn't very common though. :)

Another friend of mine did wing chun but never fared well both times he got into trouble.

I've only had 2 fights in my life and very basic Judo served me well. :)

Soldato
I have to disagree on that, the physics behind a punch as a boxer is that it is as fast as possible or as hard as possible(two types of punches). Also, of course in a ring vs another boxer you would not expect a strike below waste, but your reflexes are trained anyway, and you learn avoidance techniques/movement techniques which aid you in avoiding those strikes, so in a fight anywhere else, doesn't make a lot of sense except if the you are fighting with a martial artist who only hits below the waste and knows you are a boxer so he does that. Also boxers are trained to take a lot of hits as well.

When i used to box and when i watch the boxers at our gym they just spar/box. There is no defensive training that goes on below the waist. Totally understandable as boxing is a sport where below the waist doesn't count. Unless you encounter a very street-wsie boxing trainer i can't see why any gym would teach you otherwise.
Ever watch Bushido back in the 90s? Boxers like Trevor Burbeck got slaughtered by the japanese who took their legs out. They had absolutely no defence against it.
Boxers are trained to take hits from punches with gloves on! One could argue that the semi-contact mits (like MMA ones) would hurt and damage more simply cos they are less padded. I'd rather take a shot from a 12oz glove than a MMA mit that will really hurt.
Actually i have taken from both....the 12oz really rung my bell, but the punch with the mit on hurt me to my core for days, lol....Aaah the memories.

Still stand by what i said about MA's striking (not necessarily punching) faster than a boxer though. Experienced it too many times to be persuaded otherwise i'm afraid. As kickboxer i got my ass handed to me by my friend who was a kung fu student. His rolling punch speed was phenomenal. My punches were fast but not that hard, but he dazzled me with his speed (more of a distraction strike i guess). When i converted to his style of striking i was able to beat the boxers i trained with for speed.

Want to add something else, that when you reach a certain level it does not matter what you are trained in anymore, all major martial arts have their plus or cons.
Totally agree mate. ;)

Permabanned
*dofts cap badge to Castiel* that's about all i have left i think.
My utmost respect sir.

I did share a changing room with Prince Edward once. We were there at the same time.

1987 was before my time. I heard he was only good for the Dhoby run...:D

I was an ML2 for most of my career, and the 'sneaky snurgle' activity that sometimes implies.

I suspect you find all this talk of 'this martial art is better' as amusing as I do!!:)

Last edited:
Caporegime
were you ever on blue peter? :D - IIRC they seemed to have a bit of a fetish for you lot in the 90s - two presenters attempting the commando tests and I'm pretty sure one (John Lesely?) got sent off to Norway on your annual exercise there and one of your ML2 chaps made him do the whole skiing into the hole in the ice thing....

Permabanned
were you ever on blue peter? :D - IIRC they seemed to have a bit of a fetish for you lot in the 90s - two presenters attempting the commando tests and I'm pretty sure one (John Lesely?) got sent off to Norway on your annual exercise there and one of your ML2 chaps made him do the whole skiing into the hole in the ice thing....

I know a few Blue Peter presenters done some stuff, Gethin Jones became only the second civilian to complete the 30miler, but well over the time a Marine is expected to do it in.....:D

And the ice breaker is a breeze.....refreshes the soul. ;)

Associate
Best Art for fitness?

Not really interested in throwing kicks and punches. Aikido looks good but doesnt seem geared towards fitness. I'm probably wrong though...

Soldato
ffs here we go again. Aikido wins every time. No punching, no kicking. The dynamic sphere. I don't want to hurt anyone? right? ???
I think we've moved past that mate.
The argument was never that it was the best....far from it.
It was merely that it wasn't useless, as some have suggested.
If it were useless, surely they wouldn't tech it to the japanese police force.
Anyway....moving on. :D

Soldato
1987 was before my time. I heard he was only good for the Dhoby run...:D
I did feel sorry for him though, he had a lot to contend with.
Especially when within 2 days of him leaving, we had t-shirts saying "you can turn a frog into a prince, but you can't turn a prince into a marine!" :D

I suspect you find all this talk of 'this martial art is better' as amusing as I do!!:)
Lol, same old same old. The passion to defend a certain the art you study is understandable, but the flaming of others without experience drags the thread down to playground level. However it takes 2 to argue. :cool:

JRY

JRY

Associate
JRY, who's your sensei? Or the one you mentioned?

I train with Terry Ezra in Liverpool :) The Sensei that I was thinking of is Chiba Sensei. Not sure if you've heard of him but he does have a very fierce reputation.

Too bad you're not training anymore m8. was asking because will be in Coventry next week for a seminar :) and seeing as you're in the midlands, thought perhaps you'd be there.

Soldato
Thing is, that is nonsense, its all choreographed. It looks like something out of Power rangegers.
You're at it again mate....completely missing the point?
Of course its choreographed......its a demo. But they're not being pansies about it either, they're putting as real kicks in as they can without properly damaging some of the UK's finest soldiers.

This is as real as it gets, and much more indicative of what a real fight looks like...
Yes....because its a real fight. Not a demo or a training session.
You think they actually train with that ferocity, period?
The thread was about martial arts styles, brawling is no kind of style.....and why did you not bother to post some of Abbotts other fights. He's lost more than he won. And the losses....almost half by submission, meaning he was beaten by proper technique.
Brawling only takes a fighter so far.....

Last edited:
Soldato
Thing is, that is nonsense, its all choreographed. It looks like something out of Power rangegers.

This is as real as it gets

When tank misses the punch at 12 seconds it leaves an opening that would have turned against him easily in a "real" fight. If it wasn't for the UFC's rules the fight would easily have gone the other way at multiple points (assuming the rules were not con-straining tank ofc, knowing his style they prob were, im just making a point)

Back
Top Bottom