Thinking of taking up a martial art...

Soldato
I train with Terry Ezra in Liverpool :) The Sensei that I was thinking of is Chiba Sensei. Not sure if you've heard of him but he does have a very fierce reputation.

Too bad you're not training anymore m8. was asking because will be in Coventry next week for a seminar :) and seeing as you're in the midlands, thought perhaps you'd be there.

Yes, heard of Chiba Sensei. Seeing as you're from Liverpool, you heard of Ted Devlin?

JRY

JRY

Associate
Yes, heard of Chiba Sensei. Seeing as you're from Liverpool, you heard of Ted Devlin?

No m8, can't say that I have :(
Do you have a website with more information? there is a geocities link but it seems to be down. The North West is a great place for Martial arts :)

Soldato
You're at it again mate....completely missing the point?
Of course its choreographed......its a demo. But they're not being pansies about it either, they're putting as real kicks in as they can without properly damaging some of the UK's finest soldiers.

Yes....because its a real fight. Not a demo or a training session.
You think they actually train with that ferocity, period?
The thread was about martial arts styles, brawling is no kind of style.....and why did you not bother to post some of Abbotts other fights. He's lost more than he won. And the losses....almost half by submission, meaning he was beaten by proper technique.
Brawling only takes a fighter so far.....

First off lol that you think his style is "brawling".

Second of all, what techniques do you think had him beat? Superior wretsling and BJJ or Ninjitsu warrior/Aikido nonsense?

Soldato
When tank misses the punch at 12 seconds it leaves an opening that would have turned against him easily in a "real" fight. If it wasn't for the UFC's rules the fight would easily have gone the other way at multiple points (assuming the rules were not con-straining tank ofc, knowing his style they prob were, im just making a point)

What were the UFC now allowing back then that a real fight would allow to occur? Find me a legitimate fight where an Aikido warrior beats a wrestler/boxer when presented with a Best Vs Best match up.

Soldato
First off lol that you think his style is "brawling".
I lol that you think he doesn't. That's ALL he does, he wades in guns blazing. He leaves huge openings that a discplined fighter would probably exploit quite readily [see my next comment]

Second of all, what techniques do you think had him beat? Superior wretsling and BJJ or Ninjitsu warrior/Aikido nonsense?

Once again, matey......i'm NOT advocating aikido. But the technique that beat him were chokes etc, possibly from any of the ones you mentioned above.
The guy was infamous cos he was one of the first to gain status when UFC started, cos he did break the mould of not being a discplined fighter. He was a brawler plain and simple. When more martial artists joined in the UFC his 'brawling' started to lose effect.....hense his win/loss ratio.

I'd love to have an intelligent conversation with you, and share honest opinion, but you're so blinkered into slamming arts you have no real knowledge or experience of. I've not slated any, i just defended your flaming of aikido, because on that subject i know more than you.
I wouldn't challenge you on motor racing cos i know bugger all about it. You seem to not get that.

Soldato
Boxing.

I did some Judo, that was actually a lot of fun, throwing people and rolling around. Actually served me well at school.

Tried Taekwon Do. That was all right, but it was all 'non-contact', learning patterns. Got bored.

Really, boxing is good, and is good for stamina and general work out. I need to get back to it. Maybe Thai Boxing, but that's pretty brutal.

Last edited:
Associate
Yeah, it's not really. If you look around you may see quite a lot of senior aikidoka that are very...err...portly shall we say. ;)
Their skill is in tai sabaki, or their economy of body movement.

I'm looking at Judo currently, is there something else that may fit me better? Something like Aikido with emphasis on fitness as well.

Soldato
Aikido can certinaly be tiring, but as an art to increase your fitness level, not so much imho. If aikido really interests you then try it....and maybe do other stuff to increase your stamina.
Clubs vary, you may get a beastmaster of an instructor who insists of giving you a warmup circuit before starting the class properly....much as a lot of karate classes do.

Soldato
I'm thinking of getting back into Martial Arts - not done anything for the best part of 12 years - but now I'm a bit older than I used to be (I am 41 this year) I guess I'm not going to be looking at anything too high impact. As a kid I trained in Karate, Judo, Aikido and Ju-Jitsu but now I'm thinking of trying the Chinese arts - Fujian White Crane Kung Fu and perhaps some Tai Chi Chuan.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom