Dragon Age 3 hints dropped at PAX panel

Associate
I quite like what I'm hearing so far from the devs. They seem to have taken on board all the criticism about 2 but it is easy to promise big things and harder to deliver it seems.

I would have liked Hawke's story to have been finished, pity the expansion was cancelled.

Associate
they said they want to stick with the art style :<

Honestly, I didn't hate the art style. I loved what they did with the Qunari for example. I'm on the fence about the darkspawn, some if it was an improvement, some of it wasn't.

About a return to it's roots, I'll believe it when I see it.

Soldato
I won't trust Bioware to do anything but a grindfest. They're managing to distil a game down to the very purest sense, and lose any flavour...

Oh, that and their pricing and DLC leaves me with a bad taste in my mouth. Play a game when it's released, it's unbalanced and buggy, and incomplete, and pay £45 for it and then another £30 for all the DLC, or just wait a couple of years and pick it up, DLC bundled in for £20.

You get a much better playing experience with Dragon Age Origins, which you get for £20.. That includes all 9 DLC and the expansion, than you did with the original game and DLC.

And as for what the DLC actually is... it seems to fit into 4 categories.

1) Cheap and useless. Oh it's only a couple of quid and it's a gimmick, extra clothes for a companion.

2) Filling gaping holes in the balance. You'd think the game was finished and they cut part of it out to sell you as DLC... you'd think that because they did.

3) An extra companion who is slightly better than the rest who comes with extra sidequests.

4) A whole new unrelated to the main plot semi-expansion which gives you a few very powerful items and allows you to march through the main campaign at an easier difficulty.

So the only DLC that's actually useful is the stuff that was cut out of the main game to rip you off, and you seem to get that by paying for the deluxe edition.

As for the difficulty of their games. Sigh. They've gotten rid of D&D rules, and replaced them with their own. You can pick any skill set you like and it'll have broadly the same result with different graphics. Any tactics are out of the window, just hit the special attack buttons as quick as you can.

A couple of years ago I felt screwed over by Bioware after buying DA and ME2 on release and then the DLC. At that point I told myself I'd wait until after release to buy the games so I didn't get ripped off... and I managed to get myself to wait. After playing DA2, not playing ME3... I'm now at the point where I don't care about them. I'm not waiting, I'm just a bit sore that the game company that had the franchise for D&D and produced Baldur's Gate and NWN has turned into rubbish, and there don't seem to be any real competition bar Bethesda who only produce a new game every few years.

So if DA3 is released next year, 2013, I'll most likely play it in 2015 or 2016. And probably only on a whim when it's on special offer. Until then I'm not going to miss it.

/rant

Soldato
Fenris, how did you feel when they named a character after you in DA2?

As for them choking, I agree. It's made all the easier by them not being on Steam any more and EA being a company I'd rather not deal with.

Soldato
I don't trust Bioware to make a good game any more

This, sadly.

So many fond memories of BG, BG2, NWN, KOTOR...

DA:O was awesome and probably the last amazing game they made IMO. ME2 was great but seemed a bit dumbed down - not enough customisation, items, stats etc.

Back
Top Bottom