Panel Filter and Insurance?

Associate
i was thinking about this question the other day as well . As i fancy changing the standard paper one in my Yaris to a K&N cotton oiled one.

I guess it is best to ring/check with your current insurance to see.

From what i have read it is classified as a performance modification.

Associate
If you fit a panel filter does this have to be declared on insurance? If so would there be any charges?

Secondly am I likely to see MPG drop from using one?

Cheers
there is no performance gains by just swapping the paper filter for a "performance" filter. to get the full benifit you need cams exhauste and head work but you will find better throttle repsonce and mabe a few extra mpg, unless you get addicted to the induction roar in that case your mpg will drop

Associate
Panel filter is a shape of filter, if you mean a cotton gauze panel filter instead of paper, then that would be classed as a performance modification by your insurance as it is not OEM.
I dont think you do for the "replacement" panel filter as it will still be in the standed airbox.

But then if you add a second airbox with paper filter would that be classed as a performance mod?

Soldato
I would have thought anything that is not OEM, would be classed as a modification. I'm sure an insurance company would be as pedantic as possible in the event of you having an accident. I think i got charged £15 last time i updated my declared list, which is nothing when you consider the possibility of having your insurance void if you do not declare it.

Also regarding MPG, i would expect it too increase with a performance filter. But would probably take several years before the savings outweigh the cost of the filter :p

Associate
I would have thought anything that is not OEM, would be classed as a modification. I'm sure an insurance company would be as pedantic as possible in the event of you having an accident. I think i got charged £15 last time i updated my declared list, which is nothing when you consider the possibility of having your insurance void if you do not declare it.

Also regarding MPG, i would expect it too increase with a performance filter. But would probably take several years before the savings outweigh the cost of the filter :p
better off drilling the airbox or removing the filter all together.

Soldato
When i renewed my insurance this year, several companies wouldn't even insure my car with cut slicks on...thats a consumable! :p

Cut slicks are not road legal, and many other forms of tyres are not road legal, hence the failure to insure.

You don't have to fit OEM Tyres either, so your argument is completely invalid.

BTW it's would've or would have, not would have ;)

Soldato
When I spoke to RAC insurance, they said consumables are not classed as modifications.

Air filter is a consumable, so SHOULD be fine, but best to ring an check.

Where do you draw the line though? If a air filter is a consumable can you whack on a cone style filter under that premise? Brakes are consumables. Does that give a green light for a big brake kit? Shocks and springs don't last forever either, so on go some coilovers, etc.

I think common sense dictates that if it is not a 'standard' OEM designed part it should be considered as a mod.

Caporegime
i was thinking about this question the other day as well . As i fancy changing the standard paper one in my Yaris to a K&N cotton oiled one.

I guess it is best to ring/check with your current insurance to see.

From what i have read it is classified as a performance modification.

I've never heard panel filters are actually worth the effort for what gains (if any they bring), I wouldn't bother on any car.

Soldato
Where do you draw the line though? If a air filter is a consumable can you whack on a cone style filter under that premise? Brakes are consumables. Does that give a green light for a big brake kit? Shocks and springs don't last forever either, so on go some coilovers, etc.

I think common sense dictates that if it is not a 'standard' OEM designed part it should be considered as a mod.

Brake pads are consumables, air filter elements are consumables, by fitting a big brake kit you are taking the car out of its specifications, same by fitting a cone filter, as you are removing the standard airbox.

As a proponent of common sense you applied none to your arguments.

Soldato
http://www.roarpower.co.uk/K&N_filters_birmingham.htm

Insurance problems?

None - true most insurance companies like to be informed of an induction kit, as you are effectively changing the entire air intake system of the car and completely removing the standard air box etc, but a K&N panel filter is simply a direct replacement element and will not effect your insurance or any warranty you may have on your car.

Soldato
how about if you remove something from the car ?

for instance on my VTI -it has an air "resonator" - to reduce induction noise basically - if you removed that - would that be a mod ?

Back
Top Bottom