A mini rant

Soldato
I don't usually rant like this, but I'm pretty annoyed at the moment.

Was in the pub with a few mates earlier. I was the only one not drinking. One of the staff members came and asked me for ID, I told him I had no intention of drinking, but he said that unless I was over the age of 18, that he'd have to ask me to leave. All this while a few metres away there were little kids running around. :confused:

Then I went to a shop to buy some deodorant. The woman asks me how old I am and asks me for ID :eek:. I asked her why, and she said that she was unable to sell it to me unless I provided ID. At this point I could have flipped and used all sorts of expletives, but fortunately I kept my cool. According to her, because it's an aerosol can, I could be sniffing it. I have no clue how my ages comes into this (maybe a 17 year old is more likely to sniff deodorant than an 18 year old?).

I don't look young either, yes I'm of slight stature, but I have a beard etc.
I then asked my friend to purchase deodorant for me. He's 5 foot 1, and looks the same as he did when he was 12 years old. Instead of going up to the woman at the counter, he went up to the man, and was served and did not even get asked for ID.

Then in the past, when I've bought under 16 tickets for sports matches, train tickets etc, I've been asked for ID :mad:

Does anyone else find this absolutely ridiculous? To some extent, I can understand the pub situation, their logic was probably about me drinking on the sly or something.

Sorry for the rant, I'm just very annoyed at the moment :mad:

None of this will matter in 8 days though...

Soldato
You look young and rightly so, because you're under 18 for now and being 18 doesn't mean you will look 21 at which point people are less likely to ask you for ID.

Associate
When i was 18 i went to the pub with my passport, it was from when i was 14 but they refused to serve me at the time becouse the picture in the passport was too young!

Soldato
When i was 18 i went to the pub with my passport, it was from when i was 14 but they refused to serve me at the time becouse the picture in the passport was too young!

Rofl now that's just ...discrimination? People really are taking it too far.

When I was 18 I went to a pub had a drink was never asked for ID. Owner actually served our table.
Came back the same pub the next day and was asked for ID by the owner. Asked him if he remembered me, he told me I must have looked older the day before.

Now for the punchline, when I wasn't asked for ID I was wearing leather jacket, the next day I was wearing blue cheap jacket.

Associate
I have no clue how my ages comes into this (maybe a 17 year old is more likely to sniff deodorant than an 18 year old?).
Because until you are 18, (and you probably wont agree) you are legally a child and therefore the responsibility of your parents/guardian.

Soon as you are 18+, grab your ID and you can deodorise yourself silly - you are then legally responsible for your own actions :)

Soldato
i got ID'd for smokes at my local coop a few weeks ago by a chap who was probs around 18; he asked me for ID (bearing in mind i had a bit of a beard going on, and i certainly look weathered enough to be over 25 :p )

tbh it didn't bother me, as shops/people working in shops can get royally bummed for not checking ID

Back
Top Bottom