Moisturiser for men

Caporegime
There are a lot of people in this thread pointlessly wasting money on the basis of marketing by the cosmetics industry. They all essentially do the same job, just get some generic moisturiser from your chemist.

Soldato
OP
There are a lot of people in this thread pointlessly wasting money on the basis of marketing by the cosmetics industry. They all essentially do the same job, just get some generic moisturiser from your chemist.
Please avail me of the detailed scientific studies that you base this opinion on.

Soldato
I'll point you towards the lack of scientific studies carried out by the cosmetic industry showing effectiveness of their magic active ingredients...

Well I can give you over 20 years personal experience of using them. Some are a million miles apart in terms of effectiveness and value.

Soldato
Charlie Brooker is a hero for putting what we feel into words.

That said here we have another thread where the latent homosexuals are screaming "gay" at everyone because they're scared that a touch of moisturiser and they'll be singing show tunes and fawning over curtains. Grow up.

I've got terrible skin, but moisturiser isn't the cure for me, so I don't really have any helpful suggestions.

Caporegime
That is for 'wrinkle' cream, not moisturiser.

yes, quite... the point is in there is you read it... the extra active ingredients are nonsense usually, if they were particularly effective then they'd be regulated/prescription only. The main bulk of research into moisturisers was simply making something like Vaseline but less greasy, that was achieved years ago and is available very cheaply. The rest is mostly just marketing nonsense...

Last edited:
Soldato
yes, quite... the point is in there is you read it... the extra active ingredients are nonsense usually, if they were particularly effective then they'd be regulated/prescription only. The main bulk of research into moisturisers was simply making something like Vaseline but less greasy, that was achieved years ago and is available very cheaply. The rest is mostly just marketing nonsense...

This, from the Guardian article linked is the sad and awkward truth.

But those tests could bite any company right back: because if they show no effect, then your business is trash; but if they do show an effect, then busybodies wade in to regulate your pharmaceutically-active product. If it was my cosmetics company, I'd stick with the sciencey diagrams and hope for the best.

The problem is that people will continue to buy products based on pseudo-science adverts, product placement etc - Edit : Which means that there's no pressure to get the products tested. If people stop buying unproven products then the solution is there.

Soldato
I use some cheap stuff sometimes after a shave.

Beyond that is gay.

So moisturising is fine as long as it doesn't cost over a certain amount?

How much is ok?

What if you earn more or less money?

Can you tell me the figure as a percentage of take home pay, or is it a set amount regardless of how much I earn? Is there a minimum? Is there any danger of me becoming a lesbian if I'm not careful?

I'm worried I might be spending too much and that someone might come along and do me up the bum if I'm not careful - I'd really appreciate any advice you can give me.

Back
Top Bottom