Raspberry Pi - $35 Linux computer

Soldato
If it's micro USB, then more than likely you can use it.

It will say the voltage and amp output on it. It needs to be 0.5v and 750 milliamp, or more. I'm pretty sure phone chargers exceed these requirements.

Soldato
20120923-cecig9uy38c5dxfwi571prmnm5.jpg

I got bluetooth and an external HDD working on it now. Its all being powered from the belkin hub (F5U404), its on the list of not working stuff, but I saw a few sites with it working on so I thought I try it. Dam Tesco changed be a fiver more than it was on the website, say some stuff about how the website is a different. :confused: If I knew that I would have ordered it online when I ordered the other stuff.

Anyway can't wait until my wifi dongle, given up on getting that old buffalo one I have to work; not that I tired that hard and my arduino kit comes this week.

Soldato
has to be 5 VOLTS and equal or greater then 1000 MA for the current.

Kenneth.

whats the sticker say on the Power supply BTW.

Just did a google on the power supply 1amp it has if thats correct ?

It needs to be 0.75 amps not 1 amp, and some are even running on 0.5 amps.

Associate
I think he means 0.75A is the recommended minimum for it to run, but it can run off higher-current supplies too. Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't they only draw the current they require anyway, even if the adapter is capable of higher?

Associate
I think he means 0.75A is the recommended minimum for it to run, but it can run off higher-current supplies too. Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't they only draw the current they require anyway, even if the adapter is capable of higher?

He may mean that, though he states to my reply;

It needs to be 0.75 amps not 1 amp

then states this in previous post;

It needs to be 0.5v and 750 milliamp, or more.

very odd.

.5v off course must be 5 volts.

Kenneth.

Associate
Well only Longbow can confirm what he means, but the way I read it those two statements are consistent with each other (excepting the typo). He's saying in both posts that it must be at least 0.75A (it 'needs' at least 0.75A), though it can be more (i.e. it doesn't 'need' to be 1A, but 1A will work fine). Anyway, I'll bow out now and let him confirm what he meant.

Soldato
I mean 5v (not 0.5v) and 0.75 amps, these are the official requirements.

However, many run more amps, but you can also run it on less via USB2 0.5 amps, IE from the TV. Of course you should aim for at least the requirements, but it might still run on 0.5 amps.

Soldato
I'm running mine from my routers USB port which can only supply 500ma, however its running totally headless with nothing but a power cable and network cable plugged in. Had no issues with stability etc uptime was over 2 weeks before I restarted it after making some changes. Its running a few services such as VPN server/web server. I doubt it would run from that power source with any peripherals plugged in though.

Associate
CEC over HDMI is awesome! (As long as your telly supports it)

It means you just use your normal TV remote and the commands get passed through to XBMC instead.

Thanks for the heads up on this, I have an LG telly, and it works beautifully!

Only had to copy a few files onto the Pi and it worked after a reboot.

:p

Associate
I can't get a decent download speed on my Pi.

I'm using a PNY 32GB Professional Class 10 SD Card with Wheezy running. iperf tests show 90 Mbit connection just fine but I can't get above 1 MB/s constant on any download, even just a wget in terminal (nothing else running, just booting straight to command line) On my PC I can get 9MB/s just fine

Tried to download direct to a USB HDD instead and no change.

Anyone else come across this problem and a solution, or simply a card/distro that works on paper to its benchmark speeds?

I have the exact same issue. Did you solve this in the end?

Soldato
got my arduino kit today and hooked it up via usb.

20120925-f73se3byte9dmw334jhnx5xxa6.jpg

please excuse the mass of usb wires, I'm still toying with the ideal of soldering connections together but I still need to find something to house it in.

I'm not sure if its worth connecting via the pi's GIOP connections as doesn't the arduino need a power source too? or will it pull it off the 5v pin?

I have a real play with it this weekend hopefully and get communication going both ways, but for now the blinking led shows it works. :)

Associate
Got my Pi, got raspbmc running on it and it works perfectly.

Wireless was really easy to setup and can run the Pi via USB on the TV too :). Can also stream 720p files from my NAS without any problems too.

I ordered two memory cards one for raspbmc and the other to experiment/mess around on.

Soldato
Got my Pi, got raspbmc running on it and it works perfectly.

Wireless was really easy to setup and can run the Pi via USB on the TV too :). Can also stream 720p files from my NAS without any problems too.

I ordered two memory cards one for raspbmc and the other to experiment/mess around on.

What wireless device are you using for it? The lack of wireless is whats stopping me use mine at the minute!

Associate
yeah perfectly using "network manager" through xbmc (raspbmc has the addon)

plug it in, go to network manager, add, it will search for available networks, click on your network type in the key and that's it.

Really easy to setup and works perfectly without the need of extra power via AC adapter which is a bonus.

Back
Top Bottom