Raspberry Pi - $35 Linux computer

Zaf

Zaf

Soldato
Yeah I know what you are saying but they also do a 2GB version for £45 (which is starting to push it) if you don't need 4GB or 8GB.

The Pi has it's place for single use tasks...

I've got a 3 A+ running OctoPrint for my 3d printer and a Pi Zero 2 as a retro handheld, I've also got a Pi 4 4GB with a SCART HAT connected to my Trinitron.

I wouldn't dream of using a SFF PC to do all those tasks and with the retro handheld it couldn't.

They have their place and I don't think they should be dismissed because of the price to specification ratio.

For specific projects like Eyerex music player above, I think they are great!

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
I have 2x original pi's to test and mess with. I then amassed 4x pi2's which I had running a cluster to learn stuff like docker spinning up containers.

Most were purchased off the bay and using their promotions where you spend over a tenner and get a fiver off. Since the 3 and 4 releases I have not been enticed due to how much they seem to command.

Man of Honour
I can't believe how much they cost now. I was tempted to get one for a project but have discovered how cheap old SFF ex corporate thin client devices are. Granted they won't fit all use cases but they will suit many.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Yes I agree, when projects are shared on the web or platforms and they mention "just get a raspberry pi 4" the first thing I think is, Im not spending £40 to obtain that when my pi2 could likely do it. The older models wont be great for intensive stuff but can be picked up second hand for between 10-20 sheets if you are patient. The lockdown however seemed to make them in demand or people trying to capitalise on the situation.

Man of Honour
The prices on new Pi4's are mental just now - I don't mind paying the RRP but eBay is full of them being scalped (and selling) for close to £150 for 8GB models.
I picked up a Khadas VIM4 instead, the only thing I miss about it v the Pi is the huge amount of online resources for the Pi make it easier to get detailed instructions and troubleshooting!

Associate
Quick question - has anybody been able to acquire a Pi4 for anything close to a reasonable price even remotely recently?

I absolutely refuse to pay the disgraceful prices I’ve seen them on Amazon and have never seen them available on the Pi Store website.

Don
I absolutely refuse to pay the disgraceful prices I’ve seen them on Amazon and have never seen them available on the Pi Store website.

Then don't.

Unless you absolutely need the GPIO pins, or are already invested in the pi eco system, then there are far cheaper and higher spec options available (e.g. ex corporate thin clients, or HP/Dell/Lenovo Mini/Micro/Tiny desktops)

Last edited:

Zaf

Zaf

Soldato
I managed to get a Pi3 A+ from Pimoroni for £29 back in the summer but haven't seen them in stock since. I've not seen any Pi4's in stock this year.

You can use https://rpilocator.com/ to try and find some... There's a German store with some CM4's in stock

Associate
Then don't.

Unless you absolutely need the GPIO pins, or are already invested in the pi eco system, then there are far cheaper and higher spec options available (e.g. ex corporate thin clients, or HP/Dell/Lenovo Mini/Micro/Tiny desktops)
I think I need the GPIO pins - I’ve acquired a Hexapod robot (because why not) which runs off a Pi. I agree though - I recently acquired a cheap nuc on a Black Friday deal which was remarkable for the price.

I managed to get a Pi3 A+ from Pimoroni for £29 back in the summer but haven't seen them in stock since. I've not seen any Pi4's in stock this year.

You can use https://rpilocator.com/ to try and find some... There's a German store with some CM4's in stock
Thanks for that link - I’ll use it to try and track one down.

Zaf

Zaf

Soldato
Spotted some Pi3 a and B were on stock at Pimoroni yesterday. I was driving and at a works Xmas do, so didn’t get the chance to pull the trigger. Checked this morning and they are all gone :(
It looks like they've got the Pi4 8GB Essentials kit in stock right now

Back
Top Bottom