Metro Last Light - Thread

Soldato
I tried Metro 2033 on my GTX 670. I can max the games setting at 1920x1200, but it is a little bit of a slog. Playable, but a slog.

I see that only part of the lastest new footage has been posted.

Here is the entiriety of it:

Im really looking forward to this game.

Soldato
Game comes along that pushes the bounds of what is possible in a video game for its current time.

Gets accused of being unoptimized.

Game comes out that does nothing new or impressive, doesn't even have anti-aliasing, runs like ****.

People get accused of having poor hardware.

/logix

Last edited:
Soldato
Game comes along that pushes the bounds of what is possible in a video game for its current time.

Gets accused of being unoptimized.

Game comes out that does nothing new or impressive, doesn't even have anti-aliasing, runs like ****.

People get accused of having poor hardware.

/logix

Are you a metro dev or something? I'm simply telling you how it is, it's just like how Crysis was at launch and it still runs absolute **** on modern systems when compared to better looking games like BF3 or Crysis 2. Metro doesn't look THAT impressive, it's massive requirements is due to the lightning it uses and considering it's a linear corridor shooters there is no excuse for something like that.

Permabanned
OP
Multiplayer has been shelved.

Since our E3 demo back in June, many of you have been asking about the multiplayer component of Metro: Last Light. We wanted to share some information with you, the Metro community, first.

Throughout the development of Metro: Last light a small, dedicated team had been working on a number of multiplayer prototypes. After E3, we decided to fold this multiplayer team back into the main group and focus 100% of the studio’s resources on the single player campaign. As a result, Metro: Last Light will not ship with a multiplayer component.

Your response to our E3 demo made it very clear that although there was a lot of interest and intrigue around Metro’s multiplayer, the single player campaign is what the fanbase cares about the most.

We feel this is the right decision for the game and have put together a brief Q&A with a few more details below, hopefully they answer many of your questions. Thank you for being a part of our community and as always, we’d love to hear your comments!

Q: You said Metro will not ship with multiplayer. Does that mean we might see Metro MP as DLC or a standalone release at a later date?
A: Right now we’re 100% focused on the single player campaign and not thinking beyond that. We don’t like throwing away work though, it’s a project we could potentially return to after Metro: Last Light ships.

Q: Can you tell us what the multiplayer mode was going to be like?
A: For the reasons above, we’re going to keep that under wraps for now!

Q: Why did you commit to a multiplayer mode in the first place?
A: We are gamers at the studio and really wanted to bring the world of Metro to life in a multiplayer environment. It was a decision made by us at 4A from the outset and THQ have since been supportive every step of the way, including our decision to put multiplayer on hold. In hindsight, it was probably a mistake to announce it when we did, but we’re an enthusiastic team and wanted to be open about what we were making!

Q: How much better would the single player campaign have been if you’d just focused on that right from the start?
A: Fortunately, we never dedicated too many resources to the MP component beyond prototyping – it never entered full production. By making the decision when we did, we think the single player campaign will benefit as a result.

Q: Does this decision change Metro’s release date in any way?
A: No. Metro is still on target for release in early 2013

http://www.enterthemetro.com/uk/news/game_information_uk/multiplayer_announcement_uk/

New Gameplay trailer reveal next week. 25th October

Soldato
SP is where it's at, that's where the atmosphere and immersion is. Would have liked coop multiplayer, but not at the expense of SP quality.

Soldato
Metro 2033 was excellent, great graphics but it ran like a dog on many systems. It made my old laptop cry even at lower settings... Even my 5870 at 1080p felt the pain trying to run it.

I hope they get a better balance this time around with performance and looks, not totally sure Metro 2033 was fully optimised, even my Samsung 700G struggles to run Metro 2033 at ultra settings at 1080p and that laptop hardly struggles with anything I've thrown at it..

Permabanned
Metro 2033 was excellent, great graphics but it ran like a dog on many systems. It made my old laptop cry even at lower settings... Even my 5870 at 1080p felt the pain trying to run it.

I hope they get a better balance this time around with performance and looks, not totally sure Metro 2033 was fully optimised, even my Samsung 700G struggles to run Metro 2033 at ultra settings at 1080p and that laptop hardly struggles with anything I've thrown at it..

You sound surprise - yet i thought the 5870 was more powerful than 6970"M"?

6970m = 960 shaders
5870 = 1600 shaders

??

I think there are some shader enhancements in the 6XXX series - but they're still based off the 5XXX series.

Even a GTX690 doesn't get a solid 60fps in Metro 2033 with everything turned on at 1920x1080.

Turn Advanced DoF off and the framerate jumps massively. MSAA 4x kills framerate too - AAA is better.

Soldato

Seemed fine to me, i ran it on max settings but if you were struggling, it was best to select the lowest form of AA and turn off DoF or the Tessellation option and it still looked good.

Soldato
Yeah, tessellation did very little in the game, but was a hefty perf hit. I was running it on a 5850 at 1080p and had to crank a few settings down as above. I'm still on the 5850, however, and running at 1440p now, so I think an upgrade will be necessary if we're expecting the same level of performance (unless they've optimised it well).

Soldato
You sound surprise - yet i thought the 5870 was more powerful than 6970"M"?

6970m = 960 shaders
5870 = 1600 shaders

??

I think there are some shader enhancements in the 6XXX series - but they're still based off the 5XXX series.

Even a GTX690 doesn't get a solid 60fps in Metro 2033 with everything turned on at 1920x1080.

Turn Advanced DoF off and the framerate jumps massively. MSAA 4x kills framerate too - AAA is better.

Yeah agreed, I turned off DOF and used AAA instead and was able to get the game running much better, it did look very nice and enjoyed the single player even though it was very linear..

Soldato
Are you a metro dev or something? I'm simply telling you how it is, it's just like how Crysis was at launch and it still runs absolute **** on modern systems when compared to better looking games like BF3 or Crysis 2. Metro doesn't look THAT impressive, it's massive requirements is due to the lightning it uses and considering it's a linear corridor shooters there is no excuse for something like that.

There are no optimization issues, I have a pretty rubbish setup of a Radeon HD6850 w/ AMD FX-4100 and can run it maxed out at 1200p DX11 without advanced DoF, my frames drop between 25-30 when outdoors but remain in the high 30's/40's indoors. If you can't play a game below 60fps like some lame elitist, then that's on you. I can't remember the last time I heard somebody say Skyrim is an unoptimized mess despite the fact its ten years behind Metro in terms of visuals and features, and runs nowhere near as well and stutters like a climaxing squirrel. What issues you have with it I don't know, but its far, far from a badly optimized game, the only game I can think of that has this level of performance along with such stunning visuals is Battlefield 3.

Also, am I a dev? Rofl.

Associate
There are no optimization issues, I have a pretty rubbish setup of a Radeon HD6850 w/ AMD FX-4100 and can run it maxed out at 1200p DX11 without advanced DoF, my frames drop between 25-30 when outdoors but remain in the high 30's/40's indoors. If you can't play a game below 60fps like some lame elitist, then that's on you. I can't remember the last time I heard somebody say Skyrim is an unoptimized mess despite the fact its ten years behind Metro in terms of visuals and features, and runs nowhere near as well and stutters like a climaxing squirrel. What issues you have with it I don't know, but its far, far from a badly optimized game, the only game I can think of that has this level of performance along with such stunning visuals is Battlefield 3.

Also, am I a dev? Rofl.

I agree with Omaeka. I ran this on a I3 and a 6870 with the same sort of performance as above with the same settings but (1080p)

unoptimized mess.........no

Back
Top Bottom