• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

MSI Lightning 680 SLI

Associate
Hi again.

Just a check, does the MSI have "unlocked voltage" as it advertised, or is it capped slightly over or at the 1.175v?

I ask again as a friend is looking to place an order tomorrow for either a pair of the 680 Lightning or a pair of the MSI 7970 Lightning.
Same question for the ATI version, does this have unlocked voltages as described?

Also is they any current benchmarks with the new ATI drives that show these two cards played off against each other in games?
He wants the very best performance from which ever set he goes for. He will be playing at 1080p on a 120hz monitor.

Kind regards

Soldato
On my 7970 LTG I can go to 1.350v :)

Considering the cheapest LTGs are £380, I'd go for 3 of THESE instead. £10 cheaper, much greater performance presuming his PSU and mobo are up to it :)

For benchies, check the OcUK official benchmark thread :)

Associate
OP
Thanks for your reply bud, how do you find your performance with your 7970? People are telling him the 7970 gives really high frame rates, but the game play dosent feel as smooth as a 680??

He is also permitted to either SLI or CF Dual :(( Would have been a good solution though!

Soldato
I don't have 680's to compare, but the 7970s munch up everything I throw at them :)

Your friend doesn't strike me as the sort of guy who's tight on cash, maybe he could consider upgrading his mobo/PSU?

Associate
OP
Cool :)

His PSU is a decent one, not sure of the make but its a 1000watt i believe, Ill pass the mobo query on with your suggestion of card :).

I think he had his heart set on the Lightning editions as he loves to overclock!

Caporegime
To get the LTG to unlock the 1.21V, he will need to flash the LN2 bios to the 80.04.28.00.3A BIOS and if he knows what he is doing, he can do the Art Money hack which allows as much voltage as is needed*

*Only if he knows what he is doing or he could screw his card/s up.

Associate
OP
Thanks for your response bud, your help is appreciated!!

Very misleading branding for the MSI nvidia selection :(
We've just noticed as well as your response - Dual BIOS (BIOS 1: 1110/1176) & (BIOS 2: UNLOCKED, Upto 1.21v GPU voltage).

I think he is planning on buying one 7970 MSI LTG for the moment and then adding a second where necessary, the new drivers do look good, i just hope his game play is smooth. Not too mention the free games offer is awesome!
Gregster just one quick question you might be able to clear up. Does the ATI 7970 after the same voltage limit as the nvidia selection? Or is the whole MSI LTG exactly the same?

Kind regards

Caporegime
I think he is choosing wisely with the 7970 for gaming purposes. PGI has a peach and it clocks very nicely. As for the 680, they are supposed to chage the "Advertised" unlocked voltage. Flashing the BIOS is real easy but shouldn't be needed (Nvidias fault).

As for your question, if you mean "offer" the same voltage limit, that is a no. It offers higher I believe and PGI will give any help needed on that front.

Associate
OP
Awesome, i honestly think this is the best way to go, its also £70 cheaper. Im sure he would be fine flashing the bios but if the msi ati ltg dosent need the flash and can offer higher voltage limits straight out of the box then that's great!

Also once again the game vouchers is also a nice touch! I'm sure he could sell them on a recupe some pennies

Associate
OP
:) think i may have to sell my two 680's and grab a msi 7970 ltg, will be a downgrade but i can still play all games maxed out and still have a lot of money left over for future purchases

J.D

J.D

Soldato
Yea I've seen artmoney a while back. some clowns were doing 1.4-1.5 on air or something LOL

<--- Clown :D. Card is fine and was for 3DMark Benching only which stresses the GPU only in short bursts. I don't think I'd be juggling with a full Heaven run (Juggling, get it? :D).

Caporegime
<--- Clown :D. Card is fine and was for 3DMark Benching only which stresses the GPU only in short bursts. I don't think I'd be juggling with a full Heaven run (Juggling, get it? :D).

:D I moved my 3Dmark install to a HDD so the cards got longer to cool down inbetween tests...Made no difference though :D

Back
Top Bottom