• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

is is worth having eist on or off ?

Caporegime
well what is the real saving from having it on :confused:

this is what throttles my cpu down yes but what amount of wattage or power is it using are we talking minute or considerable amount if on allday ?

Associate
Depends on how far you overclock. At the extreme end you'll save a good 20-30 watts. I don't have figures for EIST/C1 etc while overclocked because I have no desire to introduce instability to my system. However, these are the figures I recently collected:

Fixed overclock (all power saving disabled):
4.6ghz @ 1.30v load = 105 watts idle
4.5ghz @ 1.25v load = 98 watts idle
4.4ghz @ 1.22v load = 96 watts idle
4.2ghz @ 1.14v load = 92 watts idle
3.8ghz @ 1.00v load = 85 watts idle

Stock (everything on Normal or Auto):
1.6ghz = 76 watts idle

At current electricity prices (15p/kwh), 30watts = £40 per year when used 24/7. Not much tbh when a typical PC costs £500+.

Soldato
Depends on how far you overclock. At the extreme end you'll save a good 20-30 watts. I don't have figures for EIST/C1 etc while overclocked because I have no desire to introduce instability to my system. However, these are the figures I recently collected:

1.6ghz = 76 watts idle

At current electricity prices (15p/kwh), 30watts = £40 per year when used 24/7. Not much tbh when a typical PC costs £500+.

My system runs EIST/C1 at higher clocks and lower voltage than yours and I've not had one sniff of instability, in fact I've never been able to get higher clocks by switching it off on any rig.

I honestly think not having them on is an internet myth...

Associate
A supposedly stable system may never crash. If however it produces a single error every 24 hours (ie Prime95 runs fine for 23 hours 59mins), it's not stable. That single error may occur during a crucial disk write, resulting in a vital file being corrupted. Many overclockers end up with weird issues that are cured by reinstalling Windows. It's why I always use a fixed voltage and also over-volt beyond what 'appears' stable.

Caporegime
OP

1.6ghz = 76 watts idle

so basically 80p a week extra to have it off :p think ill leave it off then :D

Associate
Like Wazza said, C1E is great. I've found this is stable as long as you have enough offset voltage for it to idle stable. Disable EIST and C3/C6 states.

so basically 80p a week extra to have it off :p think ill leave it off then :D

80p a week is still money to me, and having it run lower at idle is better for the CPU than running 24/7 at overclocked voltage. Idle mine is 1.6Ghz 0.88V and it has no performance impact. My cpu idles at 23C and VRM at 19C I recommend it.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
thing is for life of 2 to 3 years the cpu will stand it and cost isnt really isnt a issue would rather have speed constant myself for the little extra

for the footprint people of the earth i understand :p

Associate
I'm not sure about the power savings but -

I had an Asus N61JQ with an i7 720qm and I was getting a horrible DPC latency. I had read that the 920xm was a better choice so I bought it for cheap and switched it out and now when turning EIST off through Throttlestop what do you know, nice low latencies and now good for audio streaming.

I have noticed that turning EIST on/off does make a difference to DPC my desktop, but not to the extent that it has every went high enough to not be able to make music. Laptop was a different story.

Associate
I'm not talking about EIST, I'm recommending C1E. You don't lose any performance, you have the constant speed, the CPU knows when it's being used and clocks to full speed instantly.

80p a week = £41 a year. Over 3 years...is more :p

The power saving isn't even that much though tbh, it's minimal. The only thing that really saves power is not using it. I see a very tiny difference in power draw between idle 1.6GHz and idle 4.5GHz.

It's more the voltage being constant that I don't like, if it doesn't need it, I don't want it. :)

The CPU is only clocked down when it isn't being used, which is when you would not notice the constant speed anyway because you wouldn't be doing anything lol. EIST is different, windows manages that and it's rubbish for gamers/desktops at least.

I just don't like putting heat and voltage into my system if it can be helped, not bothered about lifespan just anal about efficiency lol.

*** just my 2 pence.

V F

V F

Soldato
80p a week is still money to me, and having it run lower at idle is better for the CPU than running 24/7 at overclocked voltage. Idle mine is 1.6Ghz 0.88V and it has no performance impact. My cpu idles at 23C and VRM at 19C I recommend it.

What's the lowest they can go? I've seen mine at 0.79.

Associate
Depends on chip, mine can't go any lower without some apps failing. Your chip must be a very low voltage one, I am jelly.

Caporegime
its personal choice,i just like using it

anything that puts less voltage and heat through my components the better imo,you dont lose any performance,it worked well on x58 boards also
I like using it as well, had it enabled on my i7 920, didnt need 4.2ghz for web browsing. Left it enabled on the rig in sig. Havent had a problem with games or any other programs.

Back
Top Bottom