• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Best Card to buy for £300

Associate
Hey im looking on upgrading some new parts on my computer , ive pretty much decided on everything except my GPU , ill list my specs below taking any recommendations on a graphics card for 300 or under.

Motherboard : Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H (Ordering)
Processor: Intel Core i5 3570K 3.4GHz (Ordering)
Graphics Card: EVGA GTX560ti 448core FTW (Current) - Replacing
Memory: 16gb Veangence 1600mhz (Ordering)
Power Supply: OCZ 650w

I was originally thinking about the POV GTX 670 which is a lot cheaper than the other 670's but then i see the ATI Cards , ive never had a ATI card thats why im wondering

Associate
That over http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-039-PV
this ? , and btw if i get ATI card is there anything that i need to change ? buy cables , different power supply / motherboard or anything ? as i said ive never owned a ATI card :p

Up to you over a 7950 or a 670 , very similar performance between the two. Maybe you might want the extra gig of VRAM on the 7950? If your going to oc you might want the 7950 wf3 that cooler is way better than the 670s pov cooler

And Nope nothing needs changing :). I went from nvidia to ati 7950 just plugged it straight in! Obviously driver updates etc etc etc... :D

Last edited:
Caporegime
That over http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-039-PV
this ? , and btw if i get ATI card is there anything that i need to change ? buy cables , different power supply / motherboard or anything ? as i said ive never owned a ATI card :p

As mentioned, nothing will need changing.

I have a gtx480 with the same cooler as the 7950, and this is mainly what would swing it for me if I was buying. It's also slightly cheaper than the POV 670, and the 12.11 driver has delivered great returns for the 7000 series.

Associate
just wondering why the gtx 670's are more expensive than the 7950's even tho the 670's have less VRAM

Hehe that has been discussed over this fourm countless of times... I know 670s are way over priced compared to a 7950 . If your looking for a 670 with a better cooler such as the wf3 or twin frozr your lookin to spend about £330 roughly, when a 7950 will have that at about £250.

Associate
Sorry to hijack the thread but i am also in the market for an upgrade for my gfx, im looking at a 670 but unsure which i should go for, however this has caught my eye. I have read some reviews of various 670 options, all seem to be well rated but is there a better one to go for?

Caporegime
Sorry to hijack the thread but i am also in the market for an upgrade for my gfx, im looking at a 670 but unsure which i should go for, however this has caught my eye. I have read some reviews of various 670 options, all seem to be well rated but is there a better one to go for?

One of the better brands for warranty. Good choice. :)

Associate
Be careful with these Gigabyte cards. A lot of them are voltage locked so you won't be able to overclock them very much. If I was you I would buy a 7970 for just over 300GBP and then sell the free games to get it under 300GBP.

The card is godlike.

Associate
OP
the 7970 looks orgasmic but on a tight budget of around £650 to buy a motherboard , Graphics card , Processor and SSD, i already have the rest of it , cooler / case / psu / ram hdd etc.

I could ditch the solidstate and go for the 7970 easily but i read that you would get the most improvement for money with an SSD.

With a budget of around £650 im buying :

Intel Core i5 3570K 3.4GHz Socket 1155 6MB Cache Retail Boxed Processor

Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H

OCZ 120GB Agility 3

Coolermaster MegaFlow 200mm Transprent Red LED Silent Fan

Arctic Silver 5

And also a graphics card which is un decided atm :p

Im unsure if im allowed to list prices since some of the stuff is from another company , let me know if i can mention the prices but not the name of the company please :)

Associate
if can stech to £312 i would suggest the evga 670 ftw 2gb card reason for that card is that the pcb for it, is infact a 680 pcb and not a 670 pcb so it will run better than standard 670 plus oc very well, it also has a vapor cooling which is very good on it.

Associate
OP
i was looking at the evga ftw for abit but , dont the evga cards have high temps ? like my EVGA gtx 560ti 448core FTW runs at 50-52 degrees idle and prob around 70-75 in games , this is with max fax speed. not really sure on GPU temps but i keep thinking they are high since it isnt overclocked.

Back
Top Bottom