• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Processor upgrade - bonkers prcing

Caporegime
I think you're missing that the 3820 is a quad core? whereas 990X is a previous generation hex core.

Last edited:
Soldato
There is still a market for people that just want to stick a new cpu in and get better performance. a lot of companies will not go through a big upgrade proceedure as things like static BOM, deployable images etc will have to change. So a company would upgrade the cpu for say £700 and the machine gets a performance boost with little downtime and hassle. If the company were to change the motherboard, memory, cpu, etc etc there would be testing time, new image created, compatability check with software and, as time is money, could cost several times that.

Associate
OP
Sorry I was thinking of my other PC! This one is definitely 1366 (as in sig) - have amended the OP

You say you have Socket 1155, where does the 990X even come into this conversation? :confused:

Socket 1155 = Sandy Bridge

990X = Socket 1366

3820 = Socket 2011

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom