Self defence - what rights do you have if .....

Man of Honour
I'll stand and bang with anyone, and if a complaint is made I will simply say the person repeatedly told me they were going to kill me so I felt my life was in daneger during the beating.

I woulnd't tell the police this, I would tell my lawyer, I would never talk to the police because they are scum and will want to imprison me for their own statistics rather than actual justice.

I took you off ignore to read this?

Soldato
The law in question does not mention the word vindictively at all.

Where did I quote the lettering of the law. I merely wrote advice in a simple way that would generally see you fall within the legal definition of self defence.

Acting vindictively would NEVER fall within that definition.

Why did you hit him? "Because he burgled me" Won't fly.
Why did you hit him? "Because he refused to leave and approached me in a threatening manner raising his fist" Would fly and would be the carefully constructed witness statement that would be presented to court.

As much as you like to think you can stand up in the witness box preaching common sense, 'The Right Thing to Do' and what most might DEEM reasonable - you cannot.

The law is rarely a matter meer interpretation. A lot is well defined, often by extensive stated cases.

Associate
Why should you have to convince a jury? Surely it's up to the prosecution to convince the jury that you used unreasonable force i.e. have some evidence of that before prosecuting.

Well,if the prosecution tries to convince the jury one way then I guess you or your defence would have to counter that point... that's what I meant. Of course you're innocent until proven guilty.

People make this more complicated than it needs to be.

Reasonableness is pretty straightforward.

Chasing someone is not reasonable.
Kicking them in when they are on the floor is not reasonable.

Shoving them out the door when they are unarmed is reasonable.
Using martial arts to kick them if they are persistent and coming at you with a bat or otherwise is reasonable.

How many people own guns legally, in their home? A very small percentage. When does shooting someone become reasonable? Being in direct and immediate fear of being attacked and, at worst, fearing for your life. You cannot fear for someone who is not present "Give me the cash or I'll shoot your wife" (Whom is upstairs and out of sight at the time) is not reasonable excuse to shoot someone there and then. No matter how gun-ho many of you feel on this subject defending a threat against your family by shooting someone just in case is not a reasonable reaction. Not in the courts.

Act reasonably and not vindictively and you won't have a problem.

If someone is in your home and says I'll shoot your wife who's upstairs you'll have every right to shoot first. Pre-emptive strike is legitimate according to the CPS. You can even shoot someone who is unarmed. Case law supports this.

Associate
Why did you hit him? "Because he burgled me" Won't fly.
Why did you hit him? "Because he refused to leave and approached me in a threatening manner raising his fist" Would fly and would be the carefully constructed witness statement that would be presented to court.

Wrong.If the burglar is in your house and you feel threatened you have every right to take action against the threat. I you fear for your life or your families I'd bet good money you can clobber them out of your home without fear of prosecution. It's how you perceive the threat and to what level you felt threatened.
You keep saying it's simple but then use examples that are wrong. If reasonable force was so simple to define there probably wouldn't be lots of commentaries and opinions on it's meaning and definition.

Soldato
Well,if the prosecution tries to convince the jury one way then I guess you or your defence would have to counter that point... that's what I meant. Of course you're innocent until proven guilty.

If someone is in your home and says I'll shoot your wife who's upstairs you'll have every right to shoot first. Pre-emptive strike is legitimate according to the CPS. You can even shoot someone who is unarmed. Case law supports this.

Preemptive strike is relatively stringent in where it can be applied. Shooting someone who threatened someone not in direct and immediate danger and only under the verbal threat of such action would not be legitimate.

Using the example of "or ill shoot your wife" perhaps adds too many other elements (mainly the gun) and "or ill hurt your wife" might be a simpler concept to put across.

Last edited:
Soldato
Wrong.If the burglar is in your house and you feel threatened you have every right to take action against the threat. I you fear for your life or your families I'd bet good money you can clobber them out of your home without fear of prosecution. It's how you perceive the threat and to what level you felt threatened.
You keep saying it's simple but then use examples that are wrong. If reasonable force was so simple to define there probably wouldn't be lots of commentaries and opinions on it's meaning and definition.

You are complicating it.

Hitting someone JUST because they burgled you is not a legitimate use of self defence or reasonable force.

If someone enters your home, is stealing from your kitchen when you come across them only to find them leg it to the door and trip you are in no way empowered to stick a boot in "Because he burgled my property"

If he grabbed a bottle from the side and brandished it, now you have reasonable grounds to use force in self defense/preemptive strike.

Far too many keyboard warriors who think you are justified in using force JUST because someone enters your home. Morally and lawfully are 2 very very different things.

Wise Guy
Soldato
At the end of the day avoidance is the best self-defense. Dont get in those situations to begin with.

• don't live near or hang about with poor people
  • drive a massive 4x4 so you can intimidate other drivers so you dont get in road rage incidents
  • don't go to pubs or clubs where drunk people may be
  • don't go in to cities at night time
  • don't answer your door if someone knocks unless they have phoned first.
  • don't ever let your kids play with poor kids, they may "case" your house if they come over

Associate
You are complicating it.

Hitting someone JUST because they burgled you is not a legitimate use of self defence or reasonable force.

If someone enters your home, is stealing from your kitchen when you come across them only to find them leg it to the door and trip you are in no way empowered to stick a boot in "Because he burgled my property"

If he grabbed a bottle from the side and brandished it, now you have reasonable grounds to use force in self defense/preemptive strike.

Far too many keyboard warriors who think you are justified in using force JUST because someone enters your home. Morally and lawfully are 2 very very different things.

Ok,
I do have a right to protect my property. If need be with force.

Again I disagree with your assumption that you must be threatened in order to tackle the intruder. Their presence alone is a threat.

Are you a solicitor? I'm not,by the way. I read though.... a lot. ;)

Associate
At the end of the day avoidance is the best self-defense. Dont get in those situations to begin with.

• don't live near or hang about with poor people
  • drive a massive 4x4 so you can intimidate other drivers so you dont get in road rage incidents
  • don't go to pubs or clubs where drunk people may be
  • don't go in to cities at night time
  • don't answer your door if someone knocks unless they have phoned first.
  • don't ever let your kids play with poor kids, they may "case" your house if they come over

Come on Kwerk,enough of those silly games. You're really a sociology student writing a paper on prejudice in the UK population,aren't you? :p

Soldato
Protecting your property does not imply you can shoe someone.

Force is from touching someone all the way up to cracking them around the head with a bat. Laying hands on all the way up to deadly.

It's why the term REASONABLE is used. Everyone assumes force starts at striking, it does not.

Man of Honour
Again I disagree with your assumption that you must be threatened in order to tackle the intruder. Their presence alone is a threat.

Are you a solicitor? I'm not,by the way. I read though.... a lot. ;)

You say you read a lot, but he didn't say what you think he assumes :p

Soldato
basically what lengh would you go to to protect yourself/home

1.You're grabbed and told to empty your stuff and hand over money?
2.Someone accesses your car on the driveway/road
3.Someone tresspasses in your garden
4.Someone enters your house

1.Depends where I was, who I was with and who grabbed me
2.If one on one then chase and attempt to injure
3.I dont have a garden, If I did I wouldn't be bothered. Garden hopping used to be fun! If it was families or I had a family and they were looking to break in instead of drunks, then chase and injure
4.I have a lump hammer next to my bed, however the intruder would have to get through 3 locked doors (4 when I am asleep) and past cctv first

Soldato
1.Depends where I was, who I was with and who grabbed me
2.If one on one then chase and attempt to injure
3.I dont have a garden, If I did I wouldn't be bothered. Garden hopping used to be fun! If it was families or I had a family and they were looking to break in instead of drunks, then chase and injure
4.I have a lump hammer next to my bed, however the intruder would have to get through 3 locked doors (4 when I am asleep) and past cctv first

LOL

I'm out.

Man of Honour
A good example why the law is not fit for purpose, all those examples sound pretty reasonable to me. I certainly wouldn't condemn someone, or someone's neighbour who chased someone breaking into their home and gave them a few slaps. It's all very well coming up with what you think are black and white examples and examine them in a clear and non-emotional environment but the fact is that being burgled is an extremely stressful situation and I don't think anyone knows how they would react unless they've been in that situation.

Again I find myself pointing out (and yes, I know that you will take no notice):

THE LAW DOES NOT EXPECT YOU TO MAKE RATIONAL DECISIONS WHEN UNDER THREAT.

I thought I'd emphasise it a bit because a number of people - but mainly you - are struggling with this. Seriously, why is this point so hard to grasp? The law merely expects you to stop defending yourself when it is CLEAR that there is no long a threat. Ambiguous is fine. CLEAR is not. The law entirely gets that you may lash out when confronted with a stranger in your house. It has no problem with you lamping them with a stone bowl (say) and killing them. What it thinks is a tad excessive is continuing to hit them after they stop moving. Or dragging them to an inspection pit, tying them up, throwing them in, and setting fire to them. This is why a person has been found guilty of the latter two, but not the first. I'm constrained to ask: are you actually reading anything that anyone apart from you has posted?

Associate
Protecting your property does not imply you can shoe someone.

Just trying to imagine myself hitting the burglar over the head with a slipper. :D
No,I can't shoot the person.However I can fight to recover my property.Punching in the face to let go of my laptop will not get me convicted.
Force is from touching someone all the way up to cracking them around the head with a bat. Laying hands on all the way up to deadly.

It's why the term REASONABLE is used. Everyone assumes force starts at striking, it does not.
No,I never assumed that. But what is reasonable? Reasonable can range from shooting an unarmed man to slapping someone slightly in the face. It must be reasonable to how you perceived the threat. That is my point.

In the heat of the moment and fearing for your or your families life or property can stretch reasonable quite a bit,I would think and case law supports this.

Back
Top Bottom