Realistic World Stress Test

Associate
Recently Stress testing with prime95 has, (in not so many words) become a real pain in the ass for Ivy Bridge users, especially with the recent version 27.9 which kick the hell out of a 3570k and makes it near impossible to get stable with a x45 Ratio. I've had temps reaching 90+ in less than an hour, and unable to get an hour out of Prime unless the vcores 1.304~1.312 or even 1.320v. That's way to high, and the developers of Prime need to relax or it'll be totally impossible before too long.

So!, I bought myself a copy of AIDA64 Extreme Edition, and I can get x44 with little fuss, and presumably higher. I have read on the asus website that AIDA is their recommendation for Ivy Bridge, as prime95 is classed as being too synthetic in real world stress testing, and I agree. This is what my volts and temps were after just over 2hrs on AIDA64: :cool:

http://img803.imageshack.us/img803/706/45518501.jpg

Associate
I'm stable and have been since the 3570k was released with 47x multi and <82c temps with 25c ambient after an hour in P95. This was v27.7 and the only difference between 27.7 and 27.9 is a minor bug fix. So unless this minor bug fix screwed everything up I'd suggest you have a poor chip/cooling/mount.

PCZ

PCZ

Associate
What nonsense.
Prime is not synthetic.
It is real software used by many people to search for prime numbers.
It happens to include a stress testing ability which enthusiasts use but that is not it's primary function.

You are deluded if you think AIDA stress tests are in anyway a substtute.

If you are having issues getting stable at 4.5Ghz then you have a poor chip.
If the heat bothers you. take the lid off and use some decent TIM.

Associate
OP
What nonsense.
Prime is not synthetic.
It is real software used by many people to search for prime numbers.
It happens to include a stress testing ability which enthusiasts use but that is not it's primary function.

You are deluded if you think AIDA stress tests are in anyway a substtute.

If you are having issues getting stable at 4.5Ghz then you have a poor chip.
If the heat bothers you. take the lid off and use some decent TIM.

Deluded? Ah right! then obviously a Fan boy of Prime... I quoted what experts have said, i.e Intel and ASUS technicians, Therefore I suppose they are deluded also. Spending $235 and taking a component apart and risk ruining it would be the actions of a deluded Person. Give it a rest, answers like that get boring. 50% of chips are reported to be able to reach 4.5 30% 4.6-4.7 and 20% 4.8

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I'm stable and have been since the 3570k was released with 47x multi and <82c temps with 25c ambient after an hour in P95. This was v27.7 and the only difference between 27.7 and 27.9 is a minor bug fix. So unless this minor bug fix screwed everything up I'd suggest you have a poor chip/cooling/mount.

I suppose it's a bug I actually had 4.5 with version 25.11

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18466817

Soldato
Recently Stress testing with prime95 has, (in not so many words) become a real pain in the ass for Ivy Bridge users, especially with the recent version 27.9 which kick the hell out of a 3570k and makes it near impossible to get stable with a x45 Ratio. I've had temps reaching 90+ in less than an hour, and unable to get an hour out of Prime unless the vcores 1.304~1.312 or even 1.320v. That's way to high, and the developers of Prime need to relax or it'll be totally impossible before too long.

So!, I bought myself a copy of AIDA64 Extreme Edition, and I can get x44 with little fuss, and presumably higher. I have read on the asus website that AIDA is their recommendation for Ivy Bridge, as prime95 is classed as being too synthetic in real world stress testing, and I agree. This is what my volts and temps were after just over 2hrs on AIDA64: :cool:

http://img803.imageshack.us/img803/706/45518501.jpg
If you system isn't reaching maximum temp in less than 10 minutes you have a case cooling problem.. Heated cooler exhaust is mixing with cooling air causing case to keep getting hotter. Hotter case = hotter CPU.

I found Prime to not work my system as hard as real world applications I use do. One I use pegs all cores at 100% solid line for 20-30 minutes at a time.
Deluded? Ah right! then obviously a Fan boy of Prime... I quoted what experts have said, i.e Intel and ASUS technicians, Therefore I suppose they are deluded also. Spending $235 and taking a component apart and risk ruining it would be the actions of a deluded Person. Give it a rest, answers like that get boring. 50% of chips are reported to be able to reach 4.5 30% 4.6-4.7 and 20% 4.8
Wow! Are we a little stressed today? :eek: You made statements with no reference to source. As already stated other applications will work system harder than Prime. Software does not overheat or overwork. It is only a program. And if you were not overclocking and your case was cooling properly you wouldn't be overheating. Neither overclocking or poor cooling is caused by Prime!

Last edited:
Associate
Give 3dmark11 or 3dmark vantage a go, they can sniff out a doggy oc in a fraction of the time prime95 can.

They also stress the whole system not just the CPU.

100 percent agree with this, i've had overclocks before now fly through prime and intel burn test runs with no problems but as soon as the cpu test starts in 3dmark 11 all kinds off problems system freezes and bsod, so these days i run prime or burn quickly to check temps then straight into 3dmark 11 to test stabillity

Associate
OP
I Just Don't Understand this At All!?

It was only yesterday that I mentioned that I had decided to use AIDA for stress testing after having pretty much rotten luck getting stable with Prime @ 4.5GHz on my 3570k especially with the latest version 27.9.

Today I decided to give it one last shot with Prime, and If it failed I would except that I probably would have to go down to 4.4 or 4.3 and be done.

Take a look at this :eek: This is 2 hours into the test, ( just a little over actually) although RealTemp only says 39 mins, but this is because I reset it a few times, The Prime start time and test time at image show it's 2hrs 15 mins to be exact. I would say the temps are excellent, and the Max hit at primes hardest were 87c since then they have been as shown, and the vcore has been rock steady at 1.296v throughout. What I don't understand is why suddenly have I been able to get stable with the same settings that time and time again have failed. I have X.M.P/ ASUS Multicore Enabled/ Turbo Ratio x45/ Overvoltage Auto/ Offset +130/ Medium LLC/ Power Phase Optimised/ Spread Spectrum disabled. and this is lt: http://img841.imageshack.us/img841/5184/33419984.jpg

Any sugestions on why 95% of the time these settings failed, and now suddenly I'm able to get this result :confused:

Last edited:
Associate
OP
What nonsense.
Prime is not synthetic.

After reading a post in the Ask 8 Pack section, It reminded me of what I had originally said. I came across this:

Remember Prime is synthetic you wont hit these temps in everyday use anyway unless your rig folds or similar 24/7. Using your PC is a better guide than Prime to its ability to be stable for what you need it for.

So Is it still nonsense PCZ ;)

PCZ

PCZ

Associate
I suggest you find out what P95 actually is.
go over to gimps.org and also check out mersenneforum.org.

You are inexperienced so i will cut you some slack.

Soldato
After reading a post in the Ask 8 Pack section, It reminded me of what I had originally said. I came across this:

Originally Posted by 8 Pack View Post
Remember Prime is synthetic you wont hit these temps in everyday use anyway unless your rig folds or similar 24/7. Using your PC is a better guide than Prime to its ability to be stable for what you need it for.

So Is it still nonsense PCZ ;)

What did 8 Pack say that in context with? Could you post a link to original? There are many real world applications that work systems as hard as Prime does. Rendering, encoding and converting graphics for example.

Caporegime
Prime95 is not the problem with Ivy Bridge, Intel using cheap TIM to hinder overclocking is.

100 percent agree with this, i've had overclocks before now fly through prime and intel burn test runs with no problems but as soon as the cpu test starts in 3dmark 11 all kinds off problems system freezes and bsod, so these days i run prime or burn quickly to check temps then straight into 3dmark 11 to test stabillity

Running 3D applications stresses also the GPU so that brings a whole lot more power usage and added heat to the case, believe it or not a stable system should be able to run Prime95/IBT AND 3DMark11 concurrently without crashing. The trouble is a lot of peoples' computers are unstable and instead of trying to find the root cause (ie. accepting that their overclock is not stable) they blame the tools.

Last edited:
Soldato
Prime is just math, cpu's are good at math, the algorithms for testing small FFT, large FFT, blend may be synthetic in that they are not real world but the principle of testing for large prime numbers (prime 95's main function) is all real world.

Try just running prime 95, without stress testing, if you want a non synthetic run.

My 8350 will cruise through Aida64 burn test at 5GHz on all eight cores. It will not do that on prime or IBT.

Man of Honour
I find playing a game like Civ 5 will heat up the system a lot more than Prime 95 ever will because of all the extra heat from the GPUs.

I also find the physics and combined tests in 3dmark11 are very good at snifing out an unstable oc in seconds.

Soldato
Prime95 is not the problem with Ivy Bridge, Intel using cheap TIM to hinder overclocking is.

Running 3D applications stresses also the GPU so that brings a whole lot more power usage and added heat to the case, believe it or not a stable system should be able to run Prime95/IBT AND 3DMark11 concurrently without crashing. The trouble is a lot of peoples' computers are unstable and instead of trying to find the root cause (ie. accepting that their overclock is not stable) they blame the tools.

Agreed, prime95 and heaven benchmark concurrent is a test I often run.

Back
Top Bottom